PDA

View Full Version : Packs similiar to Golite

hike500
03-11-2015, 01:27
I had a Golite Jam 70L and sold it after I gave up backpacking for awhile, now that they are out of business what is out there that is similar in style and price? I remember the Jam was around 129.00, so kind of looking in that price range for a frameless pack if possible.
Thanks,
Kevin

Sirsnappy09
03-11-2015, 05:33
Are you looking for that same size also?? Keep an wye on the used gear here and at gear trade. I picked up a jam cheap.

VTATHiker
03-11-2015, 06:51
I hiked with a Golite Pinnacle for a long time (very close to the Jam), but I since moved on to a Granite Gear VC 60, and except for being 3 ounces heavier than the Jam, I feel like the VC60 is an upgrade in every other metric (comfort with weight, stability, functionality of pockets, etc.). It also has a very similar design to the Jam and Pinnacle (single compartment, close it at the top and roll up), although it does have a frame. You might consider it, although it's difficult to find it for less than the $199 price tag. Happy hunting.

kayak karl
03-11-2015, 07:19
i use pinnacle in winter and equinox (http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/ultralite-gear/katahdin-ultralite-pack.cfm)rest of year.

Sirsnappy09
03-11-2015, 08:15
The granite gear packs are excellent for the weight. Very plush and comfy for a lightweight. I have a blaze ac 60 for when I have to carry a bear canister and the added weight is worth it for the carrying capacity.

q-tip
03-11-2015, 14:45
+++ GG Crown VC. At $200 and 32 oz. it is the best pack I own. Not as comfortable as my GG Vapor Trail, but superior in every other way.

hike500
03-11-2015, 17:39
i use pinnacle in winter and equinox (http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/ultralite-gear/katahdin-ultralite-pack.cfm)rest of year.
I have the Equinox web site saved in my favorites, I have been looking at them for a few weeks now. How is the quality on this pack, and can you roll a regular size Ridgerest in a tube and still have room in the middle for your gear?

Sirsnappy09
03-11-2015, 18:16
What about one of the mld packs??

Sirsnappy09
03-11-2015, 18:46
I should add that I am the proud New owner of a mld exodus and cannot wait to get it out on the CT this year.

QUOTE=Sirsnappy09:1954412]What about one of the mld packs??[/QUOTE]

kayak karl
03-11-2015, 18:47
I have the Equinox web site saved in my favorites, I have been looking at them for a few weeks now. How is the quality on this pack, and can you roll a regular size Ridgerest in a tube and still have room in the middle for your gear? it holds all my gear for 5 days at about 40 degrees. i hammock. pack weights 24 lb w/food&water.

LogHiking
03-11-2015, 19:43
I should add that I am the proud New owner of a mld exodus and cannot wait to get it out on the CT this year.

QUOTE=Sirsnappy09:1954412]What about one of the mld packs??[/QUOTE]

My apologies for the blatant thread jack here, but SirSnappy, have you messed with the volume reduction system on the Exodus yet? If so any comment on how it carries at the lesser than full volumes? Thanks in advance!

Sirsnappy09
03-11-2015, 22:46
Nope but I will be soon. I won't get it until next week and then plan on taking on a short weekend trip. I will let you know.

Also the equinoxes are pretty nice for the mo ey.

LogHiking
03-13-2015, 10:43
Nope but I will be soon. I won't get it until next week and then plan on taking on a short weekend trip. I will let you know.

Also the equinoxes are pretty nice for the mo ey.

Thanks, I'll look forward to hearing about your experience! And yea the equinox packs do look good. I wanted one specific model but they don't offer multiple torso sizes and I'm too tall for their standardard :(

fastfoxengineering
03-13-2015, 12:43
My local Eastern Mountain Sports was clearancing all their Granite Gear Crown VC packs. $129 brand spanking new. I shoulda bought two and sold em on here lol.

How about the ULA CDT or something from Gossamer Gear.

You can prob purchase a used golite pack on here if your patient. Post a WTB thread.

rustmd
03-13-2015, 12:46
i have a go-lite 70 jam. . .no longer using it, i switched to a ULA pack, fits me better.

send me a private message and we can talk.

.com

garlic08
03-13-2015, 16:50
Look at Gossamer Gear packs. I've never had a GoLite, but they might be similar. They go on sale once in a while, too. I've never paid more than $80 plus shipping for a pack.