PDA

View Full Version : The Right Sleeping Bag

R Dogg 21
03-11-2015, 11:49
A friend and I are doing a short trip from Unicoi Gap to Amicalola Falls this fall. The hike will be mid-late October.
Currently I have a 35 degree mummy bag, but I m wondering if this will be warm enough. Should get a 20 degree bag jut in case?
Any thoughts on which one to go with that tie of year in North Georgia?

soumodeler
03-11-2015, 13:29
I hiked from Unicoi north in mid/late October last year and was glad I had a 20* bag. However, I was at higher elevations in NC, and this year could be warmer. I would say wait until a week before you leave and check the weather. You may be able to get by with the 35 bag, may not.

Walkintom
03-11-2015, 14:52
If I expect 35 degree weather I take my 20 degree quilt.

Not that I can't survive otherwise, but I like to be comfy instead of ticked off all night.

Namtrag
03-11-2015, 16:48
I use a 20 degree quilt year round, I just adjust how much of my body is covered by the quilt, and it works great.

Hangfire
03-11-2015, 20:30
I used a 32 from April 4th-May 5th then got it back in September before entering the Whites. If it's a newer bag it should hold up fine, if it gets too cold put your thermals on, more importantly do everything in your power to keep that bag dry!

saltysack
03-12-2015, 19:49
I froze my arse off mid October a several years back on Ga AT in a 30 deg older synthetic bag that had been stored compressed...i

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
03-12-2015, 19:52
I didn't realize synthetic had to be stored lose same as down....temps were mid 30s and shivered with a good base layer...I've learned and bought a good down bag the following week...I carry a 15 deg down bag from oct-may....easier to cool down than warm up!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
03-12-2015, 20:41
Sleeping bags or quilts rarely are used in and of themselves. For example, sleeping in an enclosed tent will add about 10* of warmth, sleeping in a hammock might cost you a few degrees of warmth, clothes worn for sleeping can easily add 10-15* of warmth, throwing a liner into the mix can add anywhere from 4* on up to 30*, etc. Additionally, mid/late fall southern Appalachians/GA/NC/TN temps can vary and be fickle from day to day and depending on exact elevation slept at. Take all this into account and you'll dial in your sleeping warmth more accurately than narrowly determining warmth by sleeping bag/quilt temp rating alone.

Slo-go'en
03-12-2015, 23:24
Since you already have the 35* bag, I'd use that. A silk liner and a set of decent thermal top and bottom base layers would be enough if it gets real chilly.

Since this trip is 7 months away, try to set it up so you have some flexibility with the exact dates to optimize your weather window. You don't want to commit to a date and find out that's when a tropical storm is moving up the coast or in from the Gulf. Try to avoid a cold front too, which would bring rain and then cold temps.