PDA

View Full Version : Un-Official Register of Thru-Hikers

gubbool
03-11-2015, 15:44
This is, on account'a I see no other, the register for hikers who can lay claim to completing the Pinhoti Trail.

The rules will be simple:

Make you mark with trail name, forum name, real name or any combination thereof.

Add your classification of Thru or Section.

And the year finished.

I have managed several hikes on the Pinhoti and will upon my posting provide some sample posting while at the same time, make my claim.

gubbool
03-11-2015, 15:44
Warren aka gubbool

Thru AL-ME '08

Thru AL '09

Thru AL '10

Thru AL-GA '14

ednotmilkman
03-12-2015, 10:48
what if we wanna bend your rules, Gub? I've done all except 4.2 + 5.6 miles in GA of the walk in the woods or on FS roads, but near none of the walk on county or state highways. This has been on over at least 10 trips. Let me see ................. Road Walks?? ............ I lack 16.9 in AL plus 41.6 through Cave Spring on road or rail trail right beside the road, then 18.8 east of I-75 Dalton. so looks like I lack (9.8+16.9+41.6+18.8) / 324.6 = 87.1 / 324.6= 27%. Doesn't sound too impressive to say I've walked 73% does it !

gubbool
03-12-2015, 23:57
First... are you or are you not the southbounder that crossed my trail at Scott's Lake last fall? You being heading onward to the Bull Gap and me carrying the flag of Alabama (University of, that is)

And second I don't see your writing and/or higher math causing friction on 'my' rules.

And lastly, it appears that you might be a section hiker, right?

There is absolutely no reason for a section hiker to do the logistics required to walk on or along side of roads. Can you imagine someone driving 50 miles to walk 10 on a highway? And then to do the logistics to get back to the vehicle and drive 50 miles home; that is plain dumb.

And there is no reason for a 'thru' to worry over catching a hitch on those long stretches in AL or GA - of course, I wish you good-luck with catching a hitch in either state.

AS-IS I see no reason to worry over the 5-ish miles woods-walk at the southern terminus of the APT. My reasoning there is that the in-between roadwalk is brutal. However, there is no reason not to start at Section 3, Rebecca Mountain, which is a six-ish mile roadwalk out of Sylacuga.

The catch to the above Rebecca Mountain section is that the Pinhoti probably started at Bull Gap when section hikers took on the challenge. It was not part of it in '08 when I thru-ed and I am not going back to walk it - again - that water-less section cost me a hundred dollars last fall.

So, go back through the math and see if you can feel comfortable with the new results. And if so, send me a snail mail address and I will send you a beautiful 4inch by 4inch decal Pinhoti decal for your vehicle.

ednotmilkman
03-15-2015, 10:37
no gubbol,

You did not pass me at Scotts Lake. My last section in AL was from cr 70 south to Talladega Creek back in mid summer 2012. Was on GA Pinhoti last weekend from Fort Mountain S.P. to the northern end. Edwin

SonrisaJo
03-26-2015, 13:43
Trailname: Someday

AL Pinhoti, Thru 2013 (as part of the Great Eastern Trail)

GA Pinhoti, Section 2013 (ditto - may return to do the rest of the GAPT someday)

Wonderful trail. Can't wait to return.
http://www.gethiking.net/