PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming 4-6 week long section hike

TennJed
03-11-2015, 16:23
Time/$$$ dictate that I could chew off 4-6 weeks or so on the trail this year. I've never thru-hiked, but done bits and pieces of AT, mostly in SW VA. Lived in the Southern San Juan's in CO for a few years and did some tough hiking out there, albeit never for more than 3-5 days. The past few years I've done similarly tenured trips, 3-5 days, mostly just out around the Cumberland Plateau area here in TN. So, given that I'm a somewhat experienced hiker, although far from a seasoned thru-hiker, and I'll have a month or so to get headed north and south on the trail, what are y'alls thoughts on a sweet itinerary? I could really start anytime in April, and although I don't really want to hike in freezing cold, I'm itching to go sooner than later. The only half-baked idea I've had to is to get to Harper's Ferry (because of easy train access) and go one way or the other, although spending most or all of my trip in rocky PA might just be the worst idea. At any rate, sorry that this isn't more coherent or concise-- all comments are welcome and appreciated.

Leanthree
03-11-2015, 16:39
Start at Springer and see how far you get. Work on getting home when you have to get back home.

Have a great time!

bigcranky
03-11-2015, 17:39
If you go to Harper's, hike South into Virginia. Great section, and you can get the whole state done in ~6 weeks. I'd probably start later in April for good weather.

Namtrag
03-11-2015, 17:41
I second bigcranky. It would be great to knock out the longest state.

saltysack
03-11-2015, 19:50
Start from Damascus and head south to springer or start at north end of SNP head south...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TennJed
03-12-2015, 12:28
Not a single bad idea here! Thanks so much.