PDA

View Full Version : Camping by Gus Johnson Creek

OPI
03-11-2015, 20:48
I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any camping spots near Gus Johnson Creek (on IAT map 26, north of Wood Lake County Park)
I want to go knock out some miles in that area in a few weeks. Most of the time I just wing it, but thought I'd ask for once.

DandT40
03-12-2015, 11:33
As long as you are in the Taylor County Forest you can camp anywhere you want. I don't know how far you are going or which direction, but there are also campsites at Wood Lake County Park.

OPI
03-12-2015, 18:18
Thanks. The map does a good job marking where camping is allowed. Camping is allowed in the area I got that. I'd rather not stay at a campground. Sometimes a spot next to creek or pond looks good on map but turns out to be kinda narly and thick with under growth and swampy.
I'll just end up going for it and where I end up... only I will know.
But early spring there probably won't be anybody at the campground or I wonder if it's even open mid April. I can look into that.

OPI
03-15-2015, 09:12
Never mind. I was looking through the old trail condition reports on the IAT web page and discovered that the creek crossing do to a beaver dam.

kf1wv
03-16-2015, 06:41
Lots of campsites to choose from at Wood Lake County Park. Mid-April should give you good choices, particularly mid-week. I was there last fall.