PDA

View Full Version : Highlands, NC trip

Gray Bear
03-12-2015, 05:17
I'm trying to set up a trip to NC for a long weekend of hiking with a few people from different parts of the country. With the crazy weather this winter what would be a safe time to plan for? Do they have much snow? Do they get black flies down there?

Studlintsean
03-12-2015, 07:10
I did a 3 day trip through the highlands with my brothers this past May and the weather was perfect. Day time temps were in the 60s-70s and 40s at night. If you are interested , I wrote a short trip report for our family to read that I can send to you. Send me a PM with an email address if interested.

Alleghanian Orogeny
03-12-2015, 07:37
I imagine you're referring, in a general sense, to the highlands of NC, not the actual town of Highlands, NC. If correct, you inquire about a huge area encompassing long segments of the AT within the Smokies which hold elevations of 5,000 to + 6,000', the Roan Highlands/balds/Unaka Mountain area, also 5 to 6,000' and above, but also includes Hot Springs, NC, where the AT crosses the French Broad River at just over 1,300'. If your trip is contemplated for the end of March or some time in April, the weather can be anything from bluebird days in the 70s and overnight lows in the 40s to blizzard conditions with overnight lows in the teens to single digits. Before late April, the deciduous trees will not have leafed out except for at the very lowest elevations, so a sunny day will provide for stellar views even from within a hardwood forest cover.

For a real-time look at snow cover, temps, and localized forecasts, have a look at some of the webcams at www.resortcams.com. It's pretty easy to get a read on where the cams are and at approximately what elevation. For the localized forecasts, see www.raysweather.com. Ray's Weather offers some webcams, too.

I don't think I've ever encountered black flies here in NC, but others may have had different experiences. The Southern Appalachians generally are a less buggy area, at least when compared to mosquitos and black flies in the northeast.

AO

Tennessee Viking
03-12-2015, 08:12
Weather is getting warmer all over NC. You might still see some snow patches still but nothing difficult.

If you are staying around Highlands, NC, you will be mostly in easy driving distance to the Bartram Trail, Panthertown system, Whiteside, Gorges SP. A little further you will have the parkway, Mountians to Sea Trail, and the AT at Winding Stair/Standing Indian/Unicoi Gap.

Venture into SC and you have all the mountain SPs and the Foothills Trail

Gray Bear
03-12-2015, 08:29
Thanks for the feedback. My stepfather has family in the Highlands so we are kind of using that for a staging area. We're hoping to find a loop we can do in a few relatively easy days with some decent views and a summit or two.

misterfloyd
03-12-2015, 12:26
The Roan highlands to Erwin, Tenn is one of the prettiest sections that I have done to this point.

I agree with the above post about looking at Rays weather. When you go to rays website, type in Beech mountain. They are very close to each other.

No black flies, never seen them here.

Another place to call would be Uncle Johnies in Erwin. They could give you a heads up on water and such, although that area should be plentiful.

You can start at the Mountain harbor Hostel and go Sobo to Erwin. Approx 50 miles.

With the elevation pack smart.

If I remember correctly you said you were looking for a loop hike as well. The Smokies are nearby and there are many loops possible there.

Have a great Hike!!!

Floyd

full conditions
03-12-2015, 13:36
Highlands, NC lies at an elevation of nearly 4,000 feet and spring comes a bit later to the Highlands Plateau than it does elsewhere. I've lived in the area for just over 30 years and, if I was forced to pick one week out of the spring, I'd make it the third week of April - just about peak for early spring wildflowers like trillium, trout lilies, jack-in-the pulpit, etc...and, peak for spring bird migration - literally millions of warblers, vireos, tanagers, grosbeaks - you name it. And, as if that wasn't enough, the waterfalls of the area (and there are hundreds) are often at peak flow about then. Just my two cents.

Gray Bear
03-13-2015, 04:23
Highlands, NC lies at an elevation of nearly 4,000 feet and spring comes a bit later to the Highlands Plateau than it does elsewhere. I've lived in the area for just over 30 years and, if I was forced to pick one week out of the spring, I'd make it the third week of April - just about peak for early spring wildflowers like trillium, trout lilies, jack-in-the pulpit, etc...and, peak for spring bird migration - literally millions of warblers, vireos, tanagers, grosbeaks - you name it. And, as if that wasn't enough, the waterfalls of the area (and there are hundreds) are often at peak flow about then. Just my two cents.

Great info! Thank you.