PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Staying Anonymous on the Trail

Skye15
03-12-2015, 09:44
Hello, I didn't see a post like this so I figured I'd pose my question. I may have a bit of a stalker issue when I leave for the trail.

There is someone from my past that knows I am doing the trail, I can't be certain he knows my exact leave date - but I assume he might. He has the potential to be a threat towards me. He has done a good majority of the AT and knows the trail pretty well. I know a lot of people will be on the trail at once, safety in numbers, but I am still nervous that he could follow/find me via the trail journals, my blog, social media, word of mouth (and find me alone or get me alone). I've started thinking about things I could do to be safe. But I am curious, how possible is it really for someone to find a thru-hiker? To know where they'll be at? And besides the obvious, posting different locations and dates on my blog and mixing up my leave date, anyone have advice on things I can do? And the big question - should I still even attempt the AT? I really do not want to have to give up doing the trail because of this guy. I am hoping I can still do it, but just be smart about it.

Thanks!

illabelle
03-12-2015, 09:56
You might consider an alternate itinerary, starting at Harpers Ferry and going SOBO, or NOBO from Damascus, or any of several other options.
If you want to have a blog, perhaps you could send info to a trusted friend who could post it under an alias with bogus stuff for age, hometown, occupation, etc.
As to your "big question" whether it's unsafe for you to attempt the AT, I assume this guy knows where you are now, right? If so, and he's not currently threatening you, is he really so motivated to stalk you that he would spend the time, effort, and money to walk/drive/fly up and down the AT corridor, backtracking as needed, asking everybody he meets, in hopes of finding you?
If he is currently threatening you, you need to discuss with law enforcement or someone with similar knowledge and skill.

4eyedbuzzard
03-12-2015, 10:11
Just how dangerous is he? Has he made any threats? Current restraining order? History of violence? Weapons? Potential to physically harm you and/or others? If any of these, you need to talk to law enforcement. Realistically if he has, or can get, any idea of your start date, all he has to do is sit somewhere north of where you start, or are at any given point in time (that's where social media by you or even other hikers or even a single pic sucks), and wait for you to come to him. And you say he knows the trail very well, which means he will likely be able to figure out where you are even if you don't post anything but someone you run across or hike with gives up info either in a blog or if he asks them at a trailhead. You probably should completely avoid all social media, blogs, and any public mention of your itinerary, and warn others not to post any info regarding your presence. Even posting here on WB is giving away some information. I think you should definitely not hike or camp alone. And preferably try to always stay around as many "sheepdog" type people as you can, be they men or women.

Good luck. Stay safe. I can't imagine trying to enjoy hiking while looking over my shoulder.

SteelCut
03-12-2015, 10:15
I second Illabelle's suggestions. You should consider discontinuing the social media updates and possibly doing something like email updates to trusted friends and family if you want to keep them informed with your progress. There is a nice contingent of "mature" hikers starting a flip-flop from Harper's Ferry in late April and early May so you might want to consider an alternate and less-publicized agenda.

Gray Bear
03-12-2015, 10:24
I say go for the preemptive strike. Break both his legs before you leave and enjoy your trip ;) Too much?

Walkintom
03-12-2015, 10:33
+1 to Illabelle's suggestions.

I think that you should take all appropriate cautions in regards to your situation. Hope for the best and plan for the worst.

At the very least, file a police report and get the information on record that you have a reason to fear this person. Something that can be referenced if you do have contact with this individual and need to get law enforcement involved. If you have an encounter and that record exists and gets pulled it puts things in a whole different light for law enforcement.

I have often found that my blog postings were about a week behind actual events and I would get offers of help from friends/family relating events that were long solved, but they were casual followers, not people who were actually trying to locate me from those posts. It would have been EASY to extrapolate where I was, or more importantly, where I was not yet, by reading my blog and social posts.

Road crossings are an excellent place to find someone who is hiking the AT. I am confident that I could easily track someone down if they took no particular care regarding their AT blogging/social posts. Even with no such indicators I could even do so without appearing to be stalkerish by acting as a trail angel and not asking after any particular person, just asking about who's on the trail that might come by my particular location. Depending on how resourceful and patient of a predator your worrisome individual is, you could be found.

The thing about hunting someone is that they have to get away from you every time. You only have to catch them once.

Rain Man
03-12-2015, 11:01
And the big question - should I still even attempt the AT? I really do not want to have to give up doing the trail because of this guy. I am hoping I can still do it, but just be smart about it.

First of all, I hate hearing that this is happening to you ... and happens to so many women in America. I hope you can solve the problem by removing the threat.

Having said that, if you don't attempt the AT, does that mean the problem goes away? I'm just trying to compare apples to apples, in other words.

As far as finding someone on the AT, I'll relay a story I know of personally. I was to drive to Maine to pick up my daughter when she finished her AT hike in '04. Before the days of every single person having a cell phone and cell towers being every where. She did not carry a cell phone. The details of our plans were not worked out and she was in the 100-Mile Wilderness when I left Nashville. I posted my ETA here on WB and hit the road. Within 24 hours someone had read my post AND happened to meet her in the middle of the 100-Mile Wilderness, and realized who she was, and told her exactly when I'd be meeting her and where. That was shocking, ... though a pleasant shock in that case, I admit.

In other words, it goes both ways. The trail is a small, tight-knit community, and will help look out for you if it knows to do so.

Rain Man

Lone Wolf
03-12-2015, 11:35
Hello, I didn't see a post like this so I figured I'd pose my question. I may have a bit of a stalker issue when I leave for the trail.

There is someone from my past that knows I am doing the trail, I can't be certain he knows my exact leave date - but I assume he might. He has the potential to be a threat towards me. He has done a good majority of the AT and knows the trail pretty well. I know a lot of people will be on the trail at once, safety in numbers, but I am still nervous that he could follow/find me via the trail journals, my blog, social media, word of mouth (and find me alone or get me alone). I've started thinking about things I could do to be safe. But I am curious, how possible is it really for someone to find a thru-hiker? To know where they'll be at? And besides the obvious, posting different locations and dates on my blog and mixing up my leave date, anyone have advice on things I can do? And the big question - should I still even attempt the AT? I really do not want to have to give up doing the trail because of this guy. I am hoping I can still do it, but just be smart about it.

Thanks!pretty simple. leave your Ithingy/smarty phone whatever at home. do not sign registers. write a real journal. even then it's real easy to find someone

rickb
03-12-2015, 11:38
Hikers tend not to hesitate sharing information about another's whereabouts.

There is no reason you need to be known on the trail as brain surgeon from Atlanta, when you could just as easily I troduce yourself to everyone as student from Michigan State-- or whatever. For some of us white lies don't come easy, but what's the harm?c

If you have a picture of him, you might to carry it or just have it where it could be easily accessed on your phone-- for all sorts of reasons.

swisscross
03-12-2015, 11:49
Everyday I am convinced that our society has gone to....
Why on earth would someone want to either stalk or frighten another person is beyond me.

I have no real advice, just be careful out there and don't let this clown bring you or your hike down.

I do like the idea of having a picture of him that you can show your bubble/family.

Mags
03-12-2015, 11:58
I think the best advice given is to avoid public social media. Keep it to email only among close friends and family. The idea of an alternate itinerary is also a very good one. HF-ME and then HF - GA is a well known one and is relatively easy logistically.

imscotty
03-12-2015, 12:08
The advice to forgo social media during your trip is obvious, LW is right, keep a real journal, save your online postings until after the trip is complete. However, you also need to be aware of all the other hikers that will be posting their blogs and photos. Stay out of group photos, do not let anyone associate your real name with a trail name, do not go by Skye. It is amazing how easy it is to track a hiker, even if they are not the ones posting the informations.

Also, reconsider doing a traditional NOBO. If he knows you are doing a NOBO it is easy enough to hike SOBO through the heard until he finds you. If he has a picture to show other chatty hikers it would be easy for him to determine how many days ahead or behind you might be from a location. SOBO or an alternative might be safer, but do note let your plans be known outside of your trusted family members.

I would seriously consider telling everyone that I was going to hike the AT, and then go hike the PCT, the CT, or the Camino de Santiago. This should be fun, the trip of a lifetime, who needs that kind of stress?

And sorry to say, you need to beware that he might be reading this thread.

I wish you safe travels and peace.

burger
03-12-2015, 12:13
Hikers tend not to hesitate sharing information about another's whereabouts.

This is what I was thinking, and I think this is the OP's biggest problem even if they disguise their identity otherwise. If someone who didn't seem obviously crazy came up to me on the trail and said they were looking for such-and-such person (with a physical description but not trail name), in the past at least, I would've probably told them, assuming that the person was a relative or friend. You see those sorts of people all the time waiting for people at trail crossings. Nowadays, I would be more careful, but I suspect a lot of other hikers would assume the best and be more free with information about another hiker's whereabouts.

Here's a cautionary tale that ended without violence but ended a thru-hiker's hike early: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=208485

Old Hiker
03-12-2015, 12:21
I'd go the opposite with social media: ooooops, job problems, severe illness, whatever. Have to postpone my thru until 20xx.

Update your media every now and then with false stories, have TRUSTED friends post "Oh, so sorry" stories, glad I could see you for a few minutes, etc.

Dye/cut your hair. Then all of the above advice, maybe.

Not asking - NEVER ask a lady her age, but for some of the "younger" folk, giving up social media is pretty hard.

If it's 2016, you have ONE (1) elderly ex-military SAC trained killer (inside joke) / 6th grade teacher (even worse) guy who will be more than happy to help on the Trail. I'll bet there will be more than a few.

Good luck.

Poedog
03-12-2015, 13:46
Do the PCT

ALLEGHENY
03-12-2015, 13:49

Thanks!

This would make a good movie. First thing I would do is let the local police and the courts know of the threats. and then set the sucker up. Have him walk into a trap. When they hall him off to the pokee he may get six months and then you are free to hike.
If you wanna put your whole life out there for the world to see that's up too you. I would not even put a gear list out there.

QiWiz
03-12-2015, 14:04

Thanks!

Maybe not keep a blog or online journal at all; go only by a new trail name. Hike with others as much as possible. I would think he could find you more easily off trail than on trail if you do these things.

RockDoc
03-12-2015, 14:06
It's a little uncanny how well people know who is ahead/behind them, even many days walking.
We dropped a digital camera in the Roan Highlands and figured it was gone, but one the same day before we had even eaten dinner the finder showed up at Uncle Johnny's hostel in a car with our camera. He knew us by our description, direction of travel, etc. In our case this was great, but it could also work in a negative way if someone is stalking you for example. Sounds like time for the PCT/CDT/Nepal trek/El Camino use your imagination, there's a lot more to do than just the AT.

evyck da fleet
03-12-2015, 14:52
if you are really worried, stay off social media, keep a written journal, bring your phone and call/email your friends with updates when you stop to resupply in town. It shouldn't be too difficult to find others to hike with.

That being said you may hike with someone who describes you in their journal which could give away your location. It's not to difficult to find a hiker on the trail with some basic info. There's only one path, you're headed in the same direction the whole way and if you can be pinned down to a location on a certain date it's not too difficult to extrapolate about where you'll reach another point.

colorado_rob
03-12-2015, 15:00
Maybe not keep a blog or online journal at all; go only by a new trail name. Hike with others as much as possible. I would think he could find you more easily off trail than on trail if you do these things. Yeah, this is a great summary, IMHO. Very sorry you have to worry about this, and I hope this worry

Everyday I am convinced that our society has gone to....This belief is surely a result of our wonderful, informative, Sensationalistic Media. In fact, crime in the USA has drastically dropped steadily since about 1990. Check it out. Rape down from 42 per 100,000 population to 25. Assault down from 441 to 229. Overall crime down from almost 6000 to just over 3000. Yet the perception of crime increasing is with about 2/3rd of us in the USA. Here are the crime stats:

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

The bottom half of the page shows the rate/100,000 population. Individual states are shown too. There are other sources for the same data.

Sure, still too much crime out there, but really, it is at least improving, despite the common perceptions.

colorado_rob
03-12-2015, 15:08
woops, hit submit too soon, I meant to say: Yeah, this is a great summary, IMHO. Very sorry you have to worry about this, and I hope this worry fades quickly for you.

Green Machine
03-12-2015, 15:29
Basically, don't use anything or talk to anyone that's connected. This includes credit cards (You can use cash or traveler's checks), cell phones (Use pay phones instead), email (snail mail still works), and don't give anybody you don't trust your real name. Perhaps you could also consider carrying pepper spray? I know a lot of people carry bear mace, but legally I wouldn't advise you to spray an attacker with bear mace. I'm pretty sure that bear mace's SHU (Scoville Heat Unit) rating is high enough that it could kill a human.

rickb
03-12-2015, 15:53
That being said you may hike with someone who describes you in their journal which could give away your location. It's not to difficult to find a hiker on the trail with some basic info.

True, but we all have the ability keep basic identifiers to ourselves. A description in a journal that lack's a person's hometown, occupation, etc. would be far harder to tie to a particular individual than one which does.

Likewise, if you were asking othe hikers if they had seen someone with just a physical description it would be much harder to find them.

Take Lone Wolf. I were to show up at Trail Days without knowing his name and asked around about a guy about my age with a beard, I don't think I'd have much luck. If I asked about a hiker with a beard who lived in Damascus and drove the volunteer Ambulance, I bet I could find him in no time.

No reason one can't introduce themselves to their new trail family with some of your life details changed around a bit.

scrabbler
03-12-2015, 16:28
Change agenda to PCT.

evyck da fleet
03-12-2015, 17:02
True, but we all have the ability keep basic identifiers to ourselves. A description in a journal that lack's a person's hometown, occupation, etc. would be far harder to tie to a particular individual than one which does.

Likewise, if you were asking othe hikers if they had seen someone with just a physical description it would be much harder to find them.

Take Lone Wolf. I were to show up at Trail Days without knowing his name and asked around about a guy about my age with a beard, I don't think I'd have much luck. If I asked about a hiker with a beard who lived in Damascus and drove the volunteer Ambulance, I bet I could find him in no time.

No reason one can't introduce themselves to their new trail family with some of your life details changed around a bit.

I agree. I didn't mean just a personal description. It could be a story you tell, like LW and the ambulance, or something you have in common with the other person that someone who knows you might recognize if they read the journal. It seems like most people who encounter strangers who read journals are well meaning so I'm not trying to cause fear just mentioning how much info can get out there with technology whether you want it or not.

perdidochas
03-12-2015, 17:19
Basically, don't use anything or talk to anyone that's connected. This includes credit cards (You can use cash or traveler's checks), cell phones (Use pay phones instead), email (snail mail still works), and don't give anybody you don't trust your real name. Perhaps you could also consider carrying pepper spray? I know a lot of people carry bear mace, but legally I wouldn't advise you to spray an attacker with bear mace. I'm pretty sure that bear mace's SHU (Scoville Heat Unit) rating is high enough that it could kill a human.
Believe it or not, the opposite is true. Bear spray is lower concentration than human pepper spray.

http://www.selfdefenseninja.com/bear-spray-vs-pepper-spray-whats-difference/

rickb
03-12-2015, 17:25
Here is the first thread I could find of someone looking to Whiteblaze for help in locating a hiker. You see thes requests semi-regularly.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/36611-Have-you-seen-Montego

MuddyWaters
03-12-2015, 20:34

Thanks!

You want to publicize to the world every detail of your life and your whereabouts,and then worry?? The answer is simple. Leave the stupid social media behind. It is not that difficult to find thruhikers. A single post here sometimes narrows them down. Check a few shelter journals, skip ahead a week based on their pace, and wait. Done. The problem is they are always moving toward the destination

Some college friends of my daughters posted on twitter about going home for spring break last yr. Their townhouse was robbed , very well robbed. Common sense says you dont tell the world all the details of your life.

Fireonwindcsr
03-12-2015, 20:44
Use your head, Use common sense. If problem persists, whack it repeatedly. This has always worked for me.

squeezebox
03-12-2015, 21:11
I wonder if crossing state lines to violate an order of protection would make it a Federal offense.
I you don't have an order of protection it sounds like you need to get one. Time to play hard ball. IMHO

dark side
03-12-2015, 21:24
Not drawing attention to yourself is out the window. If you're recruiting knights in shiny polyester fabric then you just created a new annoyance - a hero parade in your wake. Change your trail name until your pals give you a new one. Guarantee you just attracted two creepers and you only had one when it was a secret. Your pack will be way lighter if you leave your drama at home where it belongs. Don't make your problems others or you'll run out of heroes. FT 11, AT 12, 13, PCT 14

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
03-12-2015, 23:44
Like the others said I would probably hike another trail but if you are going to do the Appalachian Trail I recommend that you get a satelite phone, for additional immediate communications. I don't think it'll take much research to get the local county sheriffs along the Appalachian Trail using 911. if you feel like you are being watched or someone tells you somebody is looking for you ,make the call to the local law enforcement, see if there is a Ridge Runner, and make sure you stick with other hikers if you get into that kind of situation. In your case if you're planning to do do the hike take some self defense courses if you really believe there's a physical threat ,make sure you understand that you can do a lot of harm if you have the tools speed and skill. Before you leave on your hike I would recommend also find it out if any of your close friends have any law enforcement friends that can give you a few tips.
Your hike is supposed to be a beautiful thing enjoying the outdoors enjoying your friends you make on the trail, it would be difficult to hike knowing that you have to watch back during your hike. Let's hope for the best.

Hot Flash
03-13-2015, 08:48
Everyday I am convinced that our society has gone to....
Why on earth would someone want to either stalk or frighten another person is beyond me.

Actually, violent crime has been steadily dropping for decades now. There was far more danger of it when I was growing up than our young people face now. The only reason people think things are worse, and make comments like yours is because of the pervasive and immediate access we now have to the news. Twenty or thirty years ago, something you would only hear about if you were local to the event is now broadcast across the entire world.

So no, society hasn't gone to hell. You only think it has, and you allow confirmation bias to reinforce that thinking whenever you hear about something bad. If you need reassurance that things really aren't that bad, just take a few minutes and look up some statistics.

rocketsocks
03-13-2015, 09:07
Actually, violent crime has been steadily dropping for decades now. There was far more danger of it when I was growing up than our young people face now. The only reason people think things are worse, and make comments like yours is because of the pervasive and immediate access we now have to the news. Twenty or thirty years ago, something you would only hear about if you were local to the event is now broadcast across the entire world.

So no, society hasn't gone to hell. You only think it has, and you allow confirmation bias to reinforce that thinking whenever you hear about something bad. If you need reassurance that things really aren't that bad, just take a few minutes and look up some statistics.Now is that just violent crime, or does it include all the stuff we never hear about or gets swept under the rug...like white collar and political faux pas.

rocketsocks
03-13-2015, 09:09
...cause I'd suggest the proverbial hand basket is well on it's way to...yeah Hello.

Traveler
03-13-2015, 09:11
If you stay active on social media a trench coat with the collar pulled up, hamburg hat pulled low over the forehead and wearing sunglasses would be a decent disguise. Staying off social media will likely lower the opportunity of easy discovery by a significant amount. Otherwise, it would be like ancient times and rustling around in the brush hoping something doesn't come along to eat you.

rocketsocks
03-13-2015, 09:12

So no, society hasn't gone to hell. You only think it has, and you allow confirmation bias to reinforce that thinking whenever you hear about something bad. If you need reassurance that things really aren't that bad, just take a few minutes and look up some statistics.
My bad, I see you mentioned violent crime. ;)

Francis Sawyer
03-13-2015, 10:48
Hire a couple wranglers to beat the @&$t out of the dude.

Walkintom
03-13-2015, 11:35
Believe it or not, the opposite is true. Bear spray is lower concentration than human pepper spray.

There seems to be a lot of conjecture about which sprays do what. The can of bear spray I am familiar with is 2% Capsaicin and capsaicinoids and I've always heard that it was stronger than human pepper spray.

Given that there are several different measurements available and that it's not really regulated about what manufacturers print on the human pepper spray it is genuinely hard to tell without some independent testing, of which I decline to participate in.

However, I do see that Sabre shows a pretty good chart which helps break things down. https://www.sabrered.com/formulations-heat-strength-and-law

These are the folks who also produce the bear spray I mentioned above and they don't specifically talk about that product on the same page as their human sprays, would imagine because they don't want people getting bright ideas and using it against other people.

https://www.sabrered.com/bear-spray

Either way, it's not a product I carry on the AT. Bear spray is something I consider worthy of grizzly territory.

poopsy
03-13-2015, 11:53
I just read the original posting out loud to my wife and she could couldn't believe it. "What a dumbass", she said. "Is this poster a troll?"

I'm not as harsh. But for me the decision has to be whether the OP wants the world's attention on them or if they are going to be a hiker. Right now she's wishing for bad luck and knocking on wood.

Green Machine
03-13-2015, 16:13

Wow! I had no idea. I'd been told by a friend who, who's a cop that Bear spray was lethal to people. I guess you learn something new everyday.

perdidochas
03-13-2015, 17:47
Wow! I had no idea. I'd been told by a friend who, who's a cop that Bear spray was lethal to people. I guess you learn something new everyday.

That said, I read different things on different websites. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that there really is no difference, except for range and volume. I'd have no problem using bearspray on a human, but then again, if I ever need to spray anything with pepper spray it will be because I'm afraid for my life.

kayak karl
03-13-2015, 19:53
"Send in the Trolls" ;)

Sarcasm the elf
03-13-2015, 20:13
That said, I read different things on different websites. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that there really is no difference, except for range and volume. I'd have no problem using bearspray on a human, but then again, if I ever need to spray anything with pepper spray it will be because I'm afraid for my life.

The main difference, as best as I can tell without personal experience, is that civilian pepper spray fires in a straight stream that is harder to aim, but is less likely to contaminate/incapacitate the person who is using it to defend themselves. Bear spray on the other hand fires a fairly wide pattern almost like a dry chem fire extinguisher that makes it extremely easy to hit your target, but also makes it quite likely that you will get hit with some amount of the irritant yourself when you use it.

There is an awesome NOLS grizzley bear safety lecture on youtube which is over an hour long, the last 10-15 minutes of it is a group of NOLS employees being taught to use bear spray with practice container that contain an inert spray. If you get a chance to watch it, it will give you an idea of the sort of collateral damage that the wide stream a bear spray can could cause.

Bronk
03-14-2015, 10:12
Easy to find a thruhiker who wants to be found or doesn't make any effort to cover their tracks. A bit harder if you make an effort to remain anonymous. If word gets around on social media what your trail name is and he finds out then it won't be too hard to track you. People on the trail are all too helpful. If he contacts hostels, motels and other service providers somebody will tell him where you are. I stayed at a bed and breakfast and later found out that the owners had given my real name to a later customer who saw my trail name in their register. So don't count on people keeping your secret...people are too helpful.

If you want to remain truly anonymous pay for everything in cash and don't give anybody your real name. And it would help if every once in awhile you changed your trail name and took a couple of zero days so that everybody who knows you gets a couple days ahead and don't blow your cover when you change your name.

Even doing that people may recognize or identify you based on your clothing or equipment. "Has anybody seen so and so? She has a blue backpack and a yellow tent." "Yeah, she was in Erwin yesterday."

xrayextra
03-22-2015, 00:35
Skye15, you'll fall in with a group and probably stick with them most of the trail. Trail mates are very protective, especially when women are involved. They'll look out for you even without knowing the story.

Evidently he knows your trail name. Get a new one and sign both in the log books: the one your trail buddies know (and he doesn't know) for "today" and the one he knows for two (or three) weeks ago. Just scribble in a simple, short note in between other postings.

Don't let this stalker guy ruin your hike. Try to find out exactly what he's up to through your trusted friends so you can stay one step ahead of him ;)

jeremiah j
04-18-2015, 23:19
Talk for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rif
04-19-2015, 10:15
One always has to wonder if the OP is a stalker trying to figure out how to find a certain hiker by making a post like this. If "her" threat really is familiar with the AT wouldn't she worry that he is reading Whiteblaze too ? Just seems like an odd post to make public if I was really in fear of some one.

gypsy97
04-20-2015, 09:51
I think the stalker has already ruined your hike. I doubt there is any way you can remain anonymous or hide your identity and whereabouts on the AT. Even if you decide to hike another trail, which I would recommend, I'd stay off social media except for maybe posting false info about preparing to hike the AT as if you are following the original plans. Even hiking with groups won't work because in my experience, people don't hike side by side for very long, or even within sight of one another. With technology being what it is today, no one can stay anonymous or unfound if someone is tech-savvy enough to search for them.

Do what several folks have recommended and report this person, get a restraining order, etc., but I hope you change your mind about hiking the AT. The danger and worry just isn't worth it, and there are plenty of alternatives. Stay safe, and good luck.

gypsy97
04-20-2015, 09:51
I think the stalker has already ruined your hike. I doubt there is any way you can remain anonymous or hide your identity and whereabouts on the AT. Even if you decide to hike another trail, which I would recommend, I'd stay off social media except for maybe posting false info about preparing to hike the AT as if you are following the original plans. Even hiking with groups won't work because in my experience, people don't hike side by side for very long, or even within sight of one another. With technology being what it is today, no one can stay anonymous or unfound if someone is tech-savvy enough to search for them.

Do what several folks have recommended and report this person, get a restraining order, etc., but I hope you change your mind about hiking the AT. The danger and worry just isn't worth it, and there are plenty of alternatives. Stay safe, and good luck.

FlyPaper
04-20-2015, 10:42
I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but on the trail, everyone uses trail names. If you already have a trail name, just get another one that your potential stalker does not know. So that if anyone mentions you, it won't help him find you. You can write in trail journals using a new trail name just fine. And you can even post a blog (without pictures of yourself) under that name if you are careful to leave out details.

For facebook, you can lock down your privacy very tight, although if he is friends of a friend that is willing to give him your information, that could be a problem. You could potentially post trail updates to a select group of well trusted friends.

And consider how likely this guy is travel as far as he'd need to to stalk you. It takes a lot of effort to drive hundreds of miles and potentially wait several days at a trail crossing in the middle of nowhere. Perhaps he will, but actually following through is much harder to do than to say.

jdc5294
04-20-2015, 12:22
I'm not sure if you're leaving this year or next or whatever, so this may not be useful information. I left on February 19, which is fairly early so I beat the big crowds.. I did this to get away from people and have some time to myself. I stuck around with small groups of people for short amounts of time, but most of the time I was a faster hiker so I leapfrogged ahead of them. Finally, since this hike was an outlet for my introverted side I (in retrospect) was always pretty withdrawn and quiet in the shelters and stuff, usually just reading an ebook or something. I don't think I was unpleasant to be around, just not very outgoing.

This all added up to not a lot of people knowing about me in the famously effective trail news network. Other hikers who had large personalities, everyone knew about them and talked about them. But very few people knew who Zoso was. This was fine with me, and it seems like maybe this is a strategy you could try. But the biggest aspect of it was the early leave date, and unfortunately you've missed the boat for this year. All the other stuff probably wouldn't work if you were a a female hiker surrounded by 20 other guys every day.

Mountain Bluebird
04-20-2015, 14:42
Amen to Lone Wolf's suggestions. With this post, you can see for yourself that I am 70. Another generation. Yes, my birth certificate is written on papyrus.... It amazes me that some want to broadcast everything about themselves via social media, the net, whatever. Stop. Don't. Just enjoy privacy. Restore boundaries. Write your journal with a pen, not a keyboard. When you become someone who is well-known for good deeds/accomplishments/service to others, then we can circle back and look at your journal--if you want to share it with the public.

Don H
04-20-2015, 15:27
One always has to wonder if the OP is a stalker trying to figure out how to find a certain hiker by making a post like this. If "her" threat really is familiar with the AT wouldn't she worry that he is reading Whiteblaze too ? Just seems like an odd post to make public if I was really in fear of some one.

OPs previous posts are typical new hiker posts. I think she's light.

My thoughts,
Other people will mention you in their journals. It's easy to Google your trail name and year and find all the people who mention you.
You can use a name that he wouldn't know you by but if the person finds a picture someone else took of you with your trail name then you're easy to track again.

Seatbelt
04-20-2015, 15:33
Just a thought, many thru-hikers team up with someone while hiking, If you could do that, the likelihood of a stalker attempting to bother you might be less. like you said, safety in numbers.

Sir-Packs-Alot
04-20-2015, 18:33
I think the best advice given is to avoid public social media. Keep it to email only among close friends and family. The idea of an alternate itinerary is also a very good one. HF-ME and then HF - GA is a well known one and is relatively easy logistically. I know it's hard for some - but avoiding social media seems the way I'd go as well - ALONG - with an alternative itinerary as mentioned earlier in the thread. Be CAUTIOUS. If you know this person as you say - it's "experiential fear" - not paranoia - in this particular case. Good Luck.

Singto
05-26-2015, 07:59
Of course it could also be the very common...I poked and teased the tiger, why ever would it be trying to bite poor ole me scenario. I have found that people who post stuff like this on public forums are usually poking the tiger and looking for sympathy. True victims of such activity don't go on a hiking forum, they handle it through law enforcement and the courts before setting out on such a journey.

Fredt4
05-27-2015, 00:47
. . .True victims of such activity don't go on a hiking forum, they handle it through law enforcement and the courts before setting out on such a journey.

Wrong, True victims do just this and many other things. You can't predict what victims do, they come in all shapes and backgrounds.

I have my opinion about the OP, but I'd be guessing as to the true intent. Either way it probably wasn't a wise post. IMHO you hike your hike and don't worry about what someone else possibly might do. Otherwise you're allowing them to control your life. Yes, there's an extremely rare possibility that they may actually do something, but that's equally true off the trail, so hiking or not hiking isn't really a factor. My experience (based on 25+ years of dealing with victims & perpetrators) is that once you move on they move on. Posting or not posting your hike won't matter as the stalker will do what they do either way, second guessing what a person will do (or won't) is pointless. If actual action is taken or threats are made then there's appropriate remedies available.

Five Tango
05-27-2015, 08:19
I knew someone whose daughter was stalked after making a public singing performance.She had had no prior contact with this person.It was so bad she had to take her final exams off campus at a remote location.Her parents kept a picture of the tormentor on their car visors so they could recognize him in an instant.I do not know how it turned out as we were not friends and merely acquainted.That said,keep a diary and lots of pictures and post it all when you are done.Call home but don't tell anyone,not even your parents where you are unless you want them to come get you.And if you have not yet taken a warrant out on him,do not delay.Also,carry a means of self defense whether it is lethal or non lethal,carry something.They make some pretty awesome stun guns that look like cell phones or the one I have which is also a functioning flashlight.And lastly,you can use an alias and take the advice one of the other posters submitted which was to hike in different non sequential sections.Does he really have time to sit at a road crossing for months waiting for you to show up?If so,you need to seek professional legal advice and be proactive against him.

rojotide
05-27-2015, 09:38
carry a glock and a non lethal means of protection as well. zip ties too so you can detain him if need be

appompa255
07-11-2015, 22:15
Hike the PCT instead.

Venchka
07-11-2015, 22:37
Give serious thought to carrying a Personal Locator Beacon. The SOS feature WILL summon help. You may be the one person who should carry bear spray on the AT.
Good luck to you. Go incognito with your hiking plans. Pick a different trail. One that has not been mentioned in this thread.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

rotorbrent
07-11-2015, 22:54
Hike your hike, Enjoy your AT thru hike. Let the whole world know, his name, hiker name picture, 2,000 hikers will be looking for this guy he will be tracked by everyone you will be fine. Use what ever media you want, Don't let the guy ruin your hike. He will try to ruin your hike for you but your group around you will take care of the situation. Strength in numbers.

rocketsocks
07-11-2015, 23:20
Hike the PCT instead.I love Yogi ;)

scope
08-12-2015, 21:11
...I may have a bit of a stalker issue when I leave for the trail... I am still nervous that he could follow/find me via the trail journals...

He knows where you are now, right? Assuming so, is it that you feel more vulnerable on the trail - or that you're afraid you will be? He's obviously a hiker, and maybe knowing you're on the trail, he'll be more inclined to attempt to track you, I get that. But, I think you're more vulnerable now that you EVER would be on the trail. Unless you're like me, and you kinda like to hike alone, and not in a pack. If you're in a pack, I'm sure your pack mates would look out for you - maybe even offer some misdirection if needed.

Its truly something that I think you need to be at peace with. For sure, don't publicize your hike and ask that others take care in not publicizing your whereabouts. At least until its out of your mind to the point where you just don't care.