PDA

View Full Version : Unique ideas for storing your backpacking gear at home

Majortrauma
03-12-2015, 13:12
I did my fair share of googling but am interested to see how some of you may store your backpacks, bags etc at home. I store gear for a group of 12 people. Key to me is storing as much as I can in as small a space as possible combined with ease of access.
Thanks

CalebJ
03-12-2015, 13:17
Stackkable plastic totes plus hooks from the ceiling.

fastfoxengineering
03-12-2015, 13:37
I was gonna say.. i have an eye hook in my garage that I store my pack on. I keep it packed besides my down bag and such. 12 people. I think if everything is shared. Meaning you have 12 packs of pretty much the same gear, I'm assuming you do. Then use storage bins for each type of gear. Put all the tents together, all the cookware together, etc. That way it's easier to keep track and inspect the gear.

At least that's what I'd do.

tiptoe
03-12-2015, 15:26
Packs and sleeping bags hang from cut nails in exposed rafters, other stuff in boxes: one for water/cooking items, one for stuff sacks and bags, one for miscellaneous. Sleeping pads are flat on top of the boxes.

Starchild
03-12-2015, 15:37
I have lots of my gear 'on display' both obsolete and current gear.

They are interesting to many who visit, and since it is a central part of my life it seems appropriate. My stove collection is on my fireplace mantle and I have a display case, similar to a glass door dishware cabinet were I have water purification, more stoves, various fuel, water bottles, FD food, ect. I have my AT backpack and tent in its sack and my AWOL guide on a corner table along with some hiking patches and the trail shoes I thru hiked with. All items from my thru were successfully de-funked but if that didn't work the item would not be on display.

I had lots of room for displaying things, and not much storage. This made use of a lot of the space I did have and freeing up space I didn't have much of. It also is easy to find the gear because I see it constantly, it's easier to chose the gear I want and to many sure that it stays in serviceable condition.

ChrisJackson
03-12-2015, 15:46
I'm very fortunate to have a whole room for gear. It looks like REI threw up on the bed. It's really spoiled me.

Slo-go'en
03-12-2015, 15:51
I hang my packs by placing the grab handle over the top of a coat hanger and hang them in the closest.
30208Do you think I have enough packs?

Tprunty8
03-12-2015, 16:10
I bought a group of 4 gym lockers from a school districts surplus auction. They keep everything neatly in my garage. ( bring in your water filter during the winter months)

peakbagger
03-12-2015, 16:16
I have laundry room packed tight. I use a nylon coated steel shelf system above the washer (I don't own dryer) and a bookshelf fitted with various size dividers to stuff smaller gear in it. The hanging shelf has a built in clothes hanger. I also have wooden rack on a wall with angled pegs for the packs I use frequently. I use plastic totes stored in my attic for stuff that is rarely used.

RangerZ
03-12-2015, 22:58
Little used 3rd floor bathroom, up in my lonely garret where I am now. Old claw foot bathtub holds my pack and "hiker box", clothes hooks hold jackets and raingear, towel racks hold base layers, stuff sacks, etc. Sleeping bag in loose stuff sack and pad balanced on tub edge against back wall. AT map on wall to consider.

squeezebox
03-12-2015, 23:29
I live in a 700 sq ft(ext dimensions) (probably 600 ft int) 1 bedroom house. Damp basement no good storage there. When I built the bedroom closet I put an area above the closet, kinda like a closet attic. Enough room for me but nobody else.

squeezebox
03-12-2015, 23:35
I wonder if drilling some holes in the tubs would be a good idea for ventilation.

MuddyWaters
03-13-2015, 01:12
I have a closet full of big stackable plastic drawers from walmart, and huge plastic totes. Bags, quilts, jackets in the totes
Most everything else in drawers. A couple quilts hanging when ran out of room for totes.

squeezebox
03-21-2015, 22:34
If I had space to hang my quilts I'ld probably make bag covers out of bed sheets to cover the quilts against dust or anythings else.

HogFan
03-23-2015, 13:49
Like others have said, I use the big plastic totes for most of my stuff. My packpack is usually hung on the door of our laundry room and my sleeping bag usually rolled out under my bed.
But if it were up to my wife, everything would be outside in out barn or in the trash. :)