PDA

View Full Version : Bear canister...please help

stephanD
03-13-2015, 14:32
Can't make-up my mind whether to carry a bear spray canister or not on my thru. All comments welcome. Start in May from Harper's ferry.

ChrisJackson
03-13-2015, 14:47
Can't make-up my mind whether to carry a bear spray canister or not on my thru. All comments welcome. Start in May from Harper's ferry.

Bear canister: I wouldn't. I bought one because I was tired of hanging. As it turns out, I would now rather hang a bag than hump the canister around.
Bear spray canister: I wouldn't.

Coffee
03-13-2015, 15:04
I think he's asking about bear spray, not a food storage canister. In my opinion, bear spray is totally unnecessary as a measure against black bears.

ChrisJackson
03-13-2015, 15:19
Yep, I found the thread title and the verbiage of the question a little confusing, as "spray" is only used in the body of the question and not in the title. So, I handled both possibilities. It's the curse of being a software programmer- very detail-oriented. I completely agree with you Coffee. I've never even *seen* bear spray on the AT.

GoldenBear
03-13-2015, 15:58
If you're asking if you need to carry bear spray on the A.T., the answer is absolutely no.

If you're asking if you need to carry a bear-proof canister for your food on the A.T., the answer is also no, but not as absolutely.

Bear-proof food storage is rarely REQUIRED on the A.T., but it's always a good idea.
The fewer bears that learn "human" equals "easy food," the better it is for everyone -- most especially the bears!
Preventing this association can be done in several ways; including hanging, the Ursack{R}, or a bear-proof canister.
Almost nobody uses the last idea on the A.T., simply due to weight and cost concerns.
But, if you've already got one and want to continue to use it, nobody would complain.

Note that black bears of the East are FAR less of a concern than the grizzly bears of the West.

peakbagger
03-13-2015, 16:02
Feel free to buy a bear can one and you might as well set aside postage to send it home at the end of the first week or leave it in a hiker box. Same thing with bear spray. If habituated bears are an issue, the maintaining club has installed a cable or bear box. If not learn to hang but you wont get much practice as its not generally needed.

Sirsnappy09
03-13-2015, 16:11
No spray needed.

SFC Gator
03-13-2015, 16:13
Because I will be hiking the Georgia section next month I researched and found this.
I personally don't want the extra weight but don't want to skirt the regulations either. It's a rule for a reason.

Bear canisters seasonally required for camping between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap
A new U.S. Forest Service rule requires approved bear-resistant storage containers for overnight camping on a 5-mile stretch of the A.T. in the Chattahoochee National Forest between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap, between March 1 and June 1 each year. This stretch is located between points 26.7 and 31.7 miles north of the southern terminus of the A.T. at Springer Moutain, Georgia, and includes Woods Hole Shelter, Slaughter Creek Campsite, and Blood Mountain Shelter. “Bear canisters” should be used to store food, food containers, garbage and toiletries. For more information, call the Chattahoochee - Oconee National Forest at (770) 297-3000.

SteelCut
03-13-2015, 16:16
It is easy enough to avoid camping in that short stretch and hence no need to even consider the canister.

Walkintom
03-13-2015, 16:26
Like Steelcut said, it's easy to avoid camping in that area.

It's not a long jaunt to just cruise on past the area, which serves the cause much better than having tantalizing food around in a canister anyway, IMO.

MuddyWaters
03-14-2015, 08:47
Nothing wrong with a bear cannister for peace of mind if it makes you feel better. Its also probably the best thing you can do to protect bears. Very few carry them on AT. Weight isnt issue, just leave behind you other useless crap you are probably going to take.

August W.
03-14-2015, 10:36
Nothing wrong with a bear cannister for peace of mind if it makes you feel better. Its also probably the best thing you can do to protect bears. Very few carry them on AT. Weight isnt issue, just leave behind you other useless crap you are probably going to take.

Agreed.... And bear canisters are dual purpose as they make for a handy little chair.

QiWiz
03-14-2015, 11:18
I think he's asking about bear spray, not a food storage canister. In my opinion, bear spray is totally unnecessary as a measure against black bears.

+1
Do not need bear spray unless in Grizzly Country (eg. Glacier National Park)

q-tip
03-14-2015, 13:46
I carried a 1 oz. Bear Spray, more for people than bears. I was hiking from Aug. - Nov., lots of alone time and space. Peace of mind item.... But not necessary.

BlindLazarus
03-14-2015, 14:57
I've never had a problem with bears, only time I had a close encounter was in Alaska. But we both frightened each other, and went separate ways.

Second Hand
03-14-2015, 22:50
I hate hanging and I don't want to carry the weight, so I just purchased an Ursack!

I'm pumped, I haven't bought a new piece of gear in a few years so I can't wait to play with it.
It's peace of mind with bears, but for me, it's all about the mice!

Miner
03-15-2015, 17:25
I carried a 1 oz. Bear Spray, more for people than bears. I was hiking from Aug. - Nov., lots of alone time and space. Peace of mind item.... But not necessary.. In some states, using bear grade pepper spray on a person is illegal.

Dr. Professor
03-15-2015, 21:18
. In some states, using bear grade pepper spray on a person is illegal.

I've carried bear spray on the AT before, and for much the same reason. The way I figure, if it really comes down to a situation in which I feel like I need to use that stuff to protect myself or someone else from a human, I'll take my chances with the law.

In many locations out west, carrying bear spray is a no brainier. Out east, you don't need it. I don't know that I'll bring any with me when I go hiking this year -- probably not -- but I've done it before.

It comes down to this:
1) You don't need it on the AT.
2) It really doesn't weigh that much.
3) In the EXTREMELY UNLIKELY event that you do need it, not wanting to carry the weight will feel like a feeble excuse.

Dr. Professor
03-15-2015, 21:23
Agreed.... And bear canisters are dual purpose as they make for a handy little chair.

If hiking with someone else, two bear canisters can make an excellent setup for backwoods laundry -- not that that's needed very often on the AT.

August W.
03-15-2015, 21:49
If hiking with someone else, two bear canisters can make an excellent setup for backwoods laundry -- not that that's needed very often on the AT.

Never thought of that.... I like it. Bear canisters are also fun to decorate with stickers from places you have lugged the darn things. And a bit of reflective tape is handy for locating the canister in the dark. They are priceless when needed but it's one piece of gear that I don't mind leaving at home when it isn't absolutely needed.

shelb
03-16-2015, 23:17
I wondered about that, and didn't due to the cost...

My first two section hikes, we say nearly 15 bear (14 hiking the length of SNP and 1 on our hike through MD). I was amazed at how the bear reacted to us! They run like heck - more like a deer in Michigan. However, I am told that you never want to get between a mama and a cub...

I wouldn't bring bear spray...
Nor would I bring a cannister (don't camp in that 5 mile section and hang your food in other areas).

Odd Man Out
03-16-2015, 23:35

My first two section hikes, we say nearly 15 bear (14 hiking the length of SNP and 1 on our hike through MD). I was amazed at how the bear reacted to us! They run like heck - more like a deer in Michigan. However, I am told that you never want to get between a mama and a cub...

Nor would I bring a cannister (don't camp in that 5 mile section and hang your food in other areas).

The mother bear/cub thing only applies to Grizzly Bears. There has never been a fatal attack by a mother Black Bear defending her cubs.

http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/bears-a-humans/39-what-if-i-get-between-a-black-bear-mother-and-her-cubs.html

Lots of other great bear information at this site. The best bear defense is knowledge (and smelling like a person).

http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/bears-a-humans.html

Sarcasm the elf
03-16-2015, 23:51

Interestingly the dangerous "mama and cub" aggression that you hear about is uniquely a grizzly bear trait that isn't shared by the black bears we have in the East. Black bear cubs are excellent climbers and scurry up trees and out of danger at the first sign of a threat. I don't recommend getting between a mother of any species and her young, but black bears usually won't attack a person to protect their young.

martinb
03-25-2015, 16:43
Probably not needed. Although, I was hiking on the AT in Shenandoah and came up on a BIG mama bear and two very young cubs. I didn't have my spray with me on this particular hike and momentarily regretted it.