PDA

View Full Version : Electronics on the trail?

cheese!
03-13-2015, 18:13
I want to bring my camera (Sony NEX 3N) with me, but I don't have anything that would keep it water proof or anything like that. Would it just be better if I bought a Go Pro with the water proof case and arm extender thing, or should I just get stuff for the camera I already have?
*In the event that I'd get a Go Pro, I'd fund some of it by selling my current camera.

Walkintom
03-13-2015, 18:25
A ziploc bag will keep it waterproof. I keep my electronics stowed inside stuff sacks that are waterproof inside my pack that is lined with a garbage bag.

Except when I'm using them, of course. Had a Galaxy S3 phone lose its camera due to a really foggy day. Never triggered the moisture indicator inside the phone but it sure did kill the camera. Verizon warrantied it but it was hassle to deal with on the trail. I've moved to the S5 these days which is more water resistant.

kayak karl
03-13-2015, 18:32
zip-lock with a silica packet in it.

Rex Clifton
03-13-2015, 21:49
A silica packet is a good idea. Where would you buy fresh ones. I have some lyong around bi I think they loose their effectiveness over time.

Sheriff Cougar
03-13-2015, 22:33
A silica packet is a good idea. Where would you buy fresh ones. I have some lyong around bi I think they loose their effectiveness over time.

It the silica is granular and not gel you can microwave them and reuse them. Be careful you don't microwave them so long the bag catches fire or melts.

Donde
03-14-2015, 00:43
So in one post you you suggest you can not buy food, but your gonna get a GoPro?

Traveler
03-14-2015, 05:59
So in one post you you suggest you can not buy food, but your gonna get a GoPro?

"Will Go-Pro for Supper"

mattjv89
03-14-2015, 12:06
A waterproof point and shoot camera that takes video would be less expensive than a go pro. I've also found the go pro battery life less than satisfying the times I've used one, seems like a hassle on the trail. I went the point and shoot route for the ability to take photos and videos in all weather without worrying about a $700 accident with my iPhone.

I got a Nikon coolpix aw110 for about $150 that has worked great so far. Takes good photos and video and it's fully waterproof and shock proof. I should know, the other day while filming at work I landed a tree on top of it that broke the tripod it was mounted to but left the camera unscathed.

squeezebox
03-14-2015, 12:24
Can you tell me more about the Nikon. I would like a nice camera in that price range.

mattjv89
03-15-2015, 19:02
Can you tell me more about the Nikon. I would like a nice camera in that price range.

What would you like to know? I got it here: http://www.adorama.com/INKAW110OR.html I don't know how long that will last since it's the old model on closeout, and only factory refurbished models are available. Mine arrived in pristine condition, couldn't tell it was refurbished aside from the different box. The camera has been replaced by the new AW120 which is a lot more spendy. It has a few improved features but about the same basic camera.

I really like the camera, it takes good photos and videos in addition to being shockproof and fully waterproof. You can even take underwater videos. I wouldn't object to a few more exposure controls, as with most basic point & shoot cameras the only thing you can really adjust is exposure compensation (brightness). Aside from that it has the average feature set you would expect from a camera in its class. Macro and a few scene modes, some editing controls, etc.

iAmKrzys
03-15-2015, 19:35

There is a couple of different waterproof camers on the market. Check out a comparison on DPReview: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2491269399/2014-waterproof-camera-roundup

soumodeler
03-15-2015, 19:36
Well outside of the $150 price range, but the Olympus TG-3 is a very nice waterproof camera that takes some of the best pictures from a point and shoot that I have used before.