PDA

View Full Version : Trekpouch

Side walk Sam
03-14-2015, 12:18
Trekpouch is a new piece of get ar I have been working on. Check it out on Kickstarter!https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1026398049/trekpouch-the-backpack-for-your-trekking-poles?ref=discovery

Franco
03-14-2015, 23:56
looks to me a very inefficient way of moving weight from your back.
The reason is that you have to lift that weight on every step, a bit like having heavy boots compared to light runners.

Because I use Aarn packs I am aware that a very good way to carry weight is to put some of it at the front , that way also creating a better balance .
For comparison inside my front pockets I carry 2x 600ml water bottles, fuel (500 ml in the last trip, plus 8oz of emergency fuel) gloves,nut mix, camera,cup, spare glasses, jelly beans, rainjacket, toilet kit (paper/snow stake/hand sanitiser).

All of that accessible to me whilst walking (I don't need to stop) yet feels a lot lighter than if I removed the pockets and put the content in my pack.

Side walk Sam
03-21-2015, 16:07
Don't knock it until you try it. It is not a burdon to carry. Its easy. A few ounces in your hands is nothing. Also when the trekking pole is touching the ground the wieght is transferred to the ground! You aren't even carrying it! Plus your arms are used, not just your legs. Building strength. But I do see where you are coming from. But it is not the same as heavy boots.

bfayer
03-21-2015, 16:20
I wish you the best of luck on your project. For myself, I spent good money to upgrade my poles to the lightest I could afford for a reason. I have no particular interest in adding that weight back in to get it off my back. But if it works for you....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Franco
03-21-2015, 18:21
"Don't knock it until you try it"
good point , I have used that comment (or similar) many times myself.
However, as it happens, I have tried several types of trekking poles and do know that there is a big difference at the end of the day between using a 17oz pair versus a 12oz or similar.
(I use a 17oz something version because they are much easier to adjust and fold smaller than the very light CF types, but I am not about to add extra weight to them)
Of course there is no weight when the pole is on the ground but there is every time you lift it (swing it) and that is when you feel it.
No doubt some will like it but for both convenience and biomechanical advantages, a front pouch works better.
BTW, on off trail/badly maintained trails, poles can and do snag, having pouches attached to them will just increase the problem.

Walkintom
03-21-2015, 19:29
I understand the appeal of getting an item to be accessible when you've tied up both hands with trekking poles and don't want to carry a loose item in one of those hands and flail a pole everywhere. It's been an issue.

However, I am also of the mind that I don't want to add weight to my poles. This doesn't appeal to me as a good solution to that problem.

I'm being critical, but hopefully in a constructive manner.

kayak karl
03-21-2015, 19:34
same here. poles are light and i want to leave it that way. also " A few ounces in your hands is nothing" is a false statement. every ounce counts.

MuddyWaters
03-21-2015, 22:29
A hiker may lift that pole, and weight, 20,000-60,000 times per day.

The weight matters. Thats why people pay $190 for UL poles, instead of $20 for walmart ones that are more durable.

Good luck with your venture. If you like it, there will be others too.