PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on the costly Katabatic Gear Palisade sleeping quilt?

ericmack
03-14-2015, 16:38
Hello all-

In getting gear for 2016- I am interested in Katabatic Gear Palisade sleeping quilt. I need the collective wisdom of WB if any have experience with it?

VR
Eric/junk pile

Poedog
03-14-2015, 16:56
Great quilt. I was debating buying one, but decided to go with EE for considerably less $ and the same weight.

Grampsb
03-14-2015, 19:11
I have the Palisade and love it. Quality is top notch and when I corresponded with the company via email on sizing they got back to me within hours. I would not hesitate to buy from them again

ericmack
03-15-2015, 06:21
Great quilt. I was debating buying one, but decided to go with EE for considerably less $ and the same weight.

Thanks- what is EE?

u.w.
03-15-2015, 08:56
Thanks- what is EE?

Enlightened Equipment (http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/)

u.w.

LAF
03-20-2015, 15:14
I have a katabatic alsek: it has served me well, used it for 1500 miles of the AT last year and it's still going strong. The 1 con, which is also a pro depending on your viewpoint, is that it has a closed foot box and there is no option to have one made with an open foot box (yes, it adds a little we but sometimes it's worth it). I also have an EE quilt that I use for warmer weather that has the open foot box, love it as well since I can open it completely up if I feel the need. A lot of good quilt makers out there, I just happened to settle on these 2. Tim from EE is excellent and they responded to any email I sent to them almost immediately it seemed. Nice thing with EE is you can choose your colors (if that's important to you) whereas with KG you take what they have. KG is also good at replying to questions, just that EE has set a high bar to match (this is just my experience so.....).

Dochartaigh
03-20-2015, 16:00
Also check out Hammock Gear (http://hammockgear.com/). Most likely lighter (or as-light), more customizable, and cheaper than those other two companies.

ericmack
03-21-2015, 06:54
Thanks folks- went ahead with EE. Now the wait:)

Dochartaigh
03-21-2015, 10:42
May I ask exactly what model/spec Enlightened Equipment quilt you went with? I ask because I went through this question myself lately, and I compared all the offerings out there and went with Hammock Gear. I was looking for a 20º quilt with open footbox (with ability to close partially), so to compare some basic specs between EE and HG:

EE Revelation Elite, 900 fill Hyperdry, 20º, regular size, zipper/drawstring, 18.23 ounces, $425

Hammock Gear Burrow, 850 fill hyper dry, 20º, regular size, snaps/drawstring, 17.3 ounces, $249.

So if you assume that they’ll both keep you warm to 20º (with their 900 vs. 850 down difference), the HG still comes out almost a full ounce lighter and $176 cheaper. Even if you go with EE’s sewn footbox Enigma Elite model it’s a half ounce heavier than the HG, and the same huge price difference.

Not trying to criticize your decision, but was just trying to see if I missed something or there was a specific feature of the EE that sold you on it (like the partial zipper with drawstring bottom vs. the snaps and drawstring of the HG, the different width/taper options, Argon 67 vs. Phantom 10D fabric, baffle design, etc.).

Gray Bear
03-21-2015, 11:26
I too just went through this process. I ended up going the EE route as well. For me in the end it came down to the EE having a zipper as apposed to the snaps on the HG along with the awesome responses from EE when I had questions. To be fair I never spoke to the folks at Katabatic, they were out of my budget. The folks at HG were also very quick to respond and their customers that I heard from all seemed very happy.

May I ask exactly what model/spec Enlightened Equipment quilt you went with? I ask because I went through this question myself lately, and I compared all the offerings out there and went with Hammock Gear. I was looking for a 20º quilt with open footbox (with ability to close partially), so to compare some basic specs between EE and HG:

EE Revelation Elite, 900 fill Hyperdry, 20º, regular size, zipper/drawstring, 18.23 ounces, $425

Hammock Gear Burrow, 850 fill hyper dry, 20º, regular size, snaps/drawstring, 17.3 ounces, $249.

So if you assume that they’ll both keep you warm to 20º (with their 900 vs. 850 down difference), the HG still comes out almost a full ounce lighter and $176 cheaper. Even if you go with EE’s sewn footbox Enigma Elite model it’s a half ounce heavier than the HG, and the same huge price difference.

Not trying to criticize your decision, but was just trying to see if I missed something or there was a specific feature of the EE that sold you on it (like the partial zipper with drawstring bottom vs. the snaps and drawstring of the HG, the different width/taper options, Argon 67 vs. Phantom 10D fabric, baffle design, etc.).

ericmack
03-22-2015, 05:27
I went with the lighter weight 850 fill hyperdry at 21 ounces which includes the hat. So it is about 19 ounces and much cheaper. I sleep cold since I tend to generate a lot of internal heat and sweat at night inside anything warmer. You didn't miss anything- HG is a good choicer and if I compared the two- I might have gone with it. However- I was unaware of it's existence before pulling the trigger on EE. Rather than sending it back or going thru buyer's remorse- I will use the good old human method of rationalizing my decision:) I did like the partial zipper however rather than footbox sewn shut. I also got the 20d which is heavier for the outer layer- hence the heavier weight. It gives the option of 20d stripes which might be lighter. Hope this helps.
Eric

Dochartaigh
03-22-2015, 14:44
You guys must really, really, and I mean REALLY like your zippers to spend that much extra cash... ;)

ericmack
03-24-2015, 10:57
Just did an average job of researching- might have gone different if I looked harder. Lesson learned.