PDA

View Full Version : Skyline Drive/BRP question...

importman77
03-14-2015, 16:46
I'd once again like to pick the brains of the experts on here, if possible. What I'd like to do is spend 4-5 days split between hiking the A/T and riding in my Jeep on the BRP or Skyline Drive. More specifically, I'd like to, if possible, tow my Jeep with my truck, (I'm equipped for this) and drop it off at one end of a proposed section hike where the trail parallels the BRP or Skyline , drive my truck to a point approximately 30 to 40 trail miles away, then hike back to the Jeep. Then I could take a slow, leisurely Jeep ride back to my truck, hook it up and head home. So my question is, is this possible, is it feasible, and if so, could someone recommend a nice section along with starting and ending points? I guess my only qualification would be to have two safe places to leave my vehicles. However, if it was possible to do a section where the road trip is longer than the trail portion that would be a bonus for me. I’d like to make the drive last as long as possible. My slow hiking pace will ensure the trail portion lasts long enough either way. Hope this isn’t asking too much. As always, I appreciate any suggestions.

Furlough
03-15-2015, 08:15
One suggestion for an ~ 40 Mile Hike is: Park 1 vehicle at Beagle Gap (mile post 99.5), a bit north of the entry point to SNP at Rockfish Gap and the other one at Swift Run Gap inside the SNP just South of the US 33 entry point to SNP. As I said above the Hike from Beagle Gap to Swift Run Gap is ~ 40 miles. Parking locations are within SNP and are safe with no issues. When you enter SNP at Swift Run Gap you can stop at the entry station and get your required back country pass. Skyline drive is 105 long. If you hike North to South back to the Vehicle at Beagles Gap and then drive from there back to Swift Run Gap you can drive North on Skyline Drive to its end point near Front Royal. That distance is somewhere just South of 100 miles.

Furlough

scudder
03-15-2015, 08:44
Consider Rt 60 crossing by Buena Vista to Reed's Gap. An aggressive 36 miles through some stellar terrain including Three Ridges, the Priest, Spy Rock, Cold Mt. You could Jeep up to Crabtree Meadows if you have time and the inclination.(Leave one vehicle in Montebello for this)

importman77
03-15-2015, 18:42
Thanks guys, I appreciate the ideas. Now I'll go take a look at the maps and try to get to planning. Thanks again.

Odd Man Out
03-15-2015, 20:41
If doing this in SNP you may have to buy a pass for both vehicles. I would ask the park about that.

Southerner
03-15-2015, 22:41
You really can't go wrong on any section where the AT and BRP/SD run parallel. I bet that, if this thread were to stay active long enough, you would probably see suggestions covering most of the way from Blackhorse Gap to Compton Gap. I am kind of partial to the section between Bearwallow Gap and the James River. It would be a good, moderate 35-mile hike with a good mix of views, pleasant forest, and swimming possibilities (if going in the summer). Then it would be a very nice drive after finishing the hike since you could take Va. 130 to the Parkway, re-cross the James River (the lowest point on the Parkway), then climb up to Apple Orchard with spectacular views as you go. You could treat yourself to a nice meal, maybe even an overnight lodge stay, at the Peaks of Otter. I believe they have an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet on Saturday nights (I think the new management kept that tradition of the old management). There are also a number of great day hikes you could do as part of the drive back including Devil's Marbleyard, Apple Orchard Falls, Fallingwater Cascades, Sharp Top, and Flat Top. Have you considered the possibility of a loop? Then you could drive your Jeep the entire time.

importman77
03-17-2015, 18:39
Thanks Odd Man, I hadn't considered that. Southerner, thanks for adding another option for me. I find this route particularly interesting because my travel will be shorter. Coming from SC, the further south I can do this, the better, (if all other things are equal). I appreciate all the suggestions.

BillyGr
03-18-2015, 19:20
One other thought would be to park one vehicle outside the park, then drive the other one in. Take your receipt with you (it's good for a week) and use that when you get to the Jeep to drive back to the parked vehicle. They don't check on your way out (or never did).

Southerner
03-18-2015, 21:56
Be sure to keep tabs on the Parkway website for closures. The NPS has been having closures due to maintenance, even closing the roadway to walkers / hikers. Right now, the section between US 460 and Va. 43 is closed during the week (open on weekends), and I presume they will continue the process north. The good news is that, if you pick sections where state or US highways cross, the closures can be worked around easily, and sometimes the alternate routes can be just as scenic.

importman77
03-19-2015, 11:08
Billygr, I will keep that in mind when the time comes. As of now I'm thinking about staying as far south as I can to cut down on travel. Southerner, I'll check it out beforehand. I don't want a closure to screw around with my plans (once I get them set). My plan is to do this sometime in early June so I've got time to nail down the details. For now my immediate focus is on trying to finish Georgia on spring break, (early April). Once again, thank you all for the excellent suggestions and I welcome any more.

Deer Hunter
03-19-2015, 17:36
I'd once again like to pick the brains of the experts on here, if possible. What I'd like to do is spend 4-5 days split between hiking the A/T and riding in my Jeep on the BRP or Skyline Drive. More specifically, I'd like to, if possible, tow my Jeep with my truck, (I'm equipped for this) and drop it off at one end of a proposed section hike where the trail parallels the BRP or Skyline , drive my truck to a point approximately 30 to 40 trail miles away, then hike back to the Jeep. Then I could take a slow, leisurely Jeep ride back to my truck, hook it up and head home. So my question is, is this possible, is it feasible, and if so, could someone recommend a nice section along with starting and ending points? I guess my only qualification would be to have two safe places to leave my vehicles. However, if it was possible to do a section where the road trip is longer than the trail portion that would be a bonus for me. I’d like to make the drive last as long as possible. My slow hiking pace will ensure the trail portion lasts long enough either way. Hope this isn’t asking too much. As always, I appreciate any suggestions.

This might help in your planning.

http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/upload/blrimap-2.pdf

What southerner was talking about

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/blue-ridge-parkway-sections-to-close-for-maintenance/31818256

importman77
03-19-2015, 20:07
I'd say that those could be very helpful to my planning. I really appreciate it, Deer Hunter. Thank you.