PDA

View Full Version : Laurel Highlands Trail

UberPest
03-14-2015, 17:08
Does anyone know how long it normally takes to hike the Laurel Highlands Trail (70 miles)?

I hiked the 72-mile High Country Pathway in Michigan in about 4.5 days and the 77-mile Foothills Trail in the Carolinas in 7 days (tougher terrain, heavier pack, and not as physically fit as I was on the HCP). I figure for the LHT I'd be in between the two with regards to fitness, but expect to be encountering terrain more like what I experienced on the FT.

My base weight (pack weight without food or water) for summer is around 16 lbs and I'm working to shave off one more pound. I'm used to carrying 1.5-2# of food per day and 2 L of water to start, sometimes 3 L if I know it's a while to the next water source. That gets me up around 30-35# to start.

I can usually hit 12-15 miles a day with no trouble.

Should I be able to finish the LHT in 6 days? I'd love to do it in 5, but that may be pushing it for me.

All the guides I can find are out of date by at least 4 years, but some up to 10 years. I'm trying to find info on resupply (probably not needed if I'm knocking it out in 6 days) and shuttles.

I usually hike alone but with a (leashed) dog or two. They're in better shape than I am and probably better behaved.

ALLEGHENY
03-14-2015, 17:45
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/recreation/hiking/nationalscenic/laurelhighlandstrail/index.htm

I hiked the LHT in section.
30 years ago with no plan or skill I did 75 miles out and back in 7 days.
In 2011 I did 28 mile out and back (overnighter).
Shelters are every 10-15 miles. Treat water. I carried all my food.
Nice trail.
WB Ranger Z. and others on here have been on it.
Try the link.
I'm 90 minutes from the center of it and will be doing a thru in May maybe.

The Solemates
03-14-2015, 18:14
6 days is certainly doable. i did it in 3.5

RangerZ
03-14-2015, 19:43
I sectioned it SOBO last year, 2 x 4 days/3 nights was "right" for me. You can certainly do it faster. I sectioned it because of work requirements. Camp site locations would require some long days. I went SOBO because of the more 'satisfying' finish at Ohiopyle, rather than a parking lot at the north end.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/107247-Laurel-Highland-Hiking-Trail-Veterans-Day

Look at the DCNR link that Allegheny has above (thanks for the reference, nice to know that somebody read it). You 'have' to stay at the campsites with a reservation, no one ever asked to see it though.

There is a guide available: http://alleghenysc.org/?page_id=389 . Front half has geology, etc; back half has maps and what we want. I can scan (for personal use only of course) if you need it, the pages are written on some.

Resupply is tough, nothing handy at the road crossings - except Walat's Bar at about mid point. All water has to be treated, there are pumps at the camp sites.

The SW PA backpackers meet up group have a trip planned for 14 April, SOBO: http://www.meetup.com/swpabackpackers/events/213813802/ . Could solve your shuttle problem.

Allegheny - I 'm contemplating it NOBO this year if you'd like company. My first hike of the year may be the Lost Turkey + Saylor Trails for 4 days/3 nights.

RangerZ
03-14-2015, 19:50
I sectioned it SOBO last year, 2 x 4 days/3 nights was "right" for me. You can certainly do it faster. I sectioned it because of work requirements. Camp site locations would require some long days. I went SOBO because of the more 'satisfying' finish at Ohiopyle, rather than a parking lot at the north end.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/107247-Laurel-Highland-Hiking-Trail-Veterans-Day

Look at the DCNR link that Allegheny has above (thanks for the reference, nice to know that somebody read it). You 'have' to stay at the campsites with a reservation, no one ever asked to see it though.

There is a guide available: http://alleghenysc.org/?page_id=389 . Front half has geology, etc; back half has maps and what we want. I can scan (for personal use only of course) if you need it, the pages are written on some.

Resupply is tough, nothing handy at the road crossings - except Walat's Bar at about mid point. All water has to be treated, there are pumps at the camp sites.

The SW PA backpackers meet up group have a trip planned for 14 April, SOBO: http://www.meetup.com/swpabackpackers/events/213813802/ . Could solve your shuttle problem.

Allegheny - I 'm contemplating it NOBO this year if you'd like company. My first hike of the year may be the Lost Turkey + Saylor Trails for 4 days/3 nights.

Also, http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/106332-Laurel-Hghlands-Hiking-Trail-Columbus-Day-week for the north section.

ALLEGHENY
03-14-2015, 20:22

Ranger Z, Is that a LHT NOBO? I'm trying to find a week open April-May. Having some work issues. I'm PGH E. Burbs.

RangerZ
03-14-2015, 20:27
Ranger Z, Is that a LHT NOBO? I'm trying to find a week open April-May. Having some work issues. I'm PGH E. Burbs.

Going to PM you

Cookerhiker
03-14-2015, 20:47
I hiked it in 6 days but the first and last were short days. After a couple of uphills in the first (southernmost) 10 miles, the rest is rolling and fairly easy. It is not rocky like so many PA trails further east. Hiking in late March, we experienced warm rain and then colder temps, cold enough to freeze the boots and water bottles.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=221962

Hot5nics
03-15-2015, 13:12
My 74 years old father-in-law are hiking it SOBO April 6-10. Pretty easy trail. We are doing roughly 13.5, 18.5, 14.5, 17.5. 6.0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UberPest
03-15-2015, 15:34
Thank you all! It probably won't be until late summer or fall due to work. I'm working on my fitness between now and then as well as tweaking my gear.

OT: RangerZ, my dogs are Ranger (J Cross' Currahee) and Halo (J Cross' Halo). Ranger was named for my grandpa who was in the 101st (I got him not long after Grandpa died). Halo got her name since she had so many relatives with game names and I wanted something that worked with Ranger's name, too. It hit both requirements.

RabbitHole
03-16-2015, 07:47
I'll be doing it in five this spring/summer. Re supply not required if you can bring 6 days of food. I was curious about shuttles from Ohiopyle back to the start of the trail.

Jeff
03-16-2015, 09:10
Thank you all! It probably won't be until late summer or fall due to work. I'm working on my fitness between now and then as well as tweaking my gear.

OT: RangerZ, my dogs are Ranger (J Cross' Currahee) and Halo (J Cross' Halo). Ranger was named for my grandpa who was in the 101st (I got him not long after Grandpa died). Halo got her name since she had so many relatives with game names and I wanted something that worked with Ranger's name, too. It hit both requirements.

If you decide to hike the LHHT in late Sep or early October the colors are beautiful. There may be some chilly nights up on the ridge but really great hiking weather.

QiWiz
03-16-2015, 12:47
I've done it in 4 days but that was pushing the envelope. 5-6 days would be much more comfortable.

UberPest
03-16-2015, 14:34
If you decide to hike the LHHT in late Sep or early October the colors are beautiful. There may be some chilly nights up on the ridge but really great hiking weather.

Don't laugh at me, but what are the normal snake-encountering seasons in that area? I'm not normally overly concerned about snakes, but I had to carry out one of my dogs after she got hit in the face by a Copperhead that was hiding in the middle of the trail. She ended up fine, but gave me a scare. That was this past September in Arkansas while the ground was still pretty warm and it was in a sunny spot. The dogs were on leashes out ahead of me and were over top of it before I saw anything. I had a healthy respect for snakes before, but that experience made me a bit jumpy.

My plan to shave a little pack weight is to carry just the fly of my Stratospire 2. I plan to stay in the shelters each night, but I'd like something as backup just in case.

scottminot
04-05-2015, 23:00
I live close to the northern end of the trail. I've hiked the trail countless times and I mountain bike all over between rt56 and rt271(not on the LHHT), been doing it for 27 years.
I've never encountered a single rattlesnake in 27 years. They are definitely there though. I ran into some rather large rat snakes and garters in my travels on the Laurel Ridge.

RabbitHole
08-26-2015, 02:03
I'm going to try and do a SOBO over four days next weekend for the holiday. How would you space the mileage. It looks like once you get on the ridge it's super flat until the last 5 miles or so, so put the big days in the middle?

Cookerhiker
08-26-2015, 06:58
I'm going to try and do a SOBO over four days next weekend for the holiday. How would you space the mileage. It looks like once you get on the ridge it's super flat until the last 5 miles or so, so put the big days in the middle?

Yes, only ups and downs of any consequence are in the southernmost 5-6 miles.

Keep in mind that the entire trail is in state park lands and you're required to make reservations and stay in the shelters.

RangerZ
08-26-2015, 20:19
My original plan (before I did it in two sections) was 7 days/6 nights. These were my daily distances and campsites:

5.2 miles RT 56 Decker Avenue Shelter
8.0 miles RT 271 Shelter
10.4 miles RT 30 Shelter
14.0 miles RT 31 Shelter
14.0 miles RT 653 Shelter
12.2 miles Ohiopyle Shelter
6.3 miles Ohiopyle

You’ve got to stay at the shelter areas (you can tent) so study their spacing to figure out your camps.

I had short days at the start and end to get there from Pittsburgh.
YMMV

Rolex
10-04-2015, 11:45
Hi, I'm working in the area. Is it feasible to do an E2E SOBO without a re supply in mid-late October?

Picked up a Stratospire 1, Atmos 65 AG, and a Cosmic bag in new shape on Craigslist and really really really wanting to use it NOW!
Sure you guys know what I mean.

on a side note. I stay in an rv out on the road working. My wife came up for a week and was laughing at me.
said " you are taking off backpacking in late fall when you are already camping in an RV?" BTW, doesn't this make your 5th set of gear?"

Of course I answered her with, "5 ? Yeah, that's a good number. Let's go with that."

typed sitting in in an rv park in the rain in my new tent for a shakedown run

RangerZ
10-04-2015, 18:22
It's possible, depending on how long you take. People in the threads above have done it in as little as 4 days. I planned on no resupply with my 7 day plan above - before I sectioned it 4+4. There are no stores on/near the trail besides the bar at US 30. I did it for Columbus and Labor Day weeks – the days were 60s to freezing overnight but dry. All my advice is in the threads above.

Food pack weight for my 8 day Tuscarora Trail try last month was a major part of my problem. If I (develop amnesia) decide to finish it I might consider caching some food. The LHHT is nowhere as rocky as the Tuscarora Trail.