PDA

View Full Version : Coleman SurvivalCat as tent heater?

anarky321
03-14-2015, 17:24
anyone have any experience with this?

http://www.coleman.com/product/5034A729

Rocket Jones
03-14-2015, 18:26
I have one, wouldn't dream of using it in a tent, and no way would I backpack with it.

Walkintom
03-14-2015, 18:51
Not very weight or space efficient.

kayak karl
03-14-2015, 19:32
are you talking about back packing with this?? if yes, then just buy a good bag and pad and leave it home.

4Bears
03-14-2015, 20:35
YIKES!!! :eek: don't want to put that in a tent, too much fire risk for me. Like KK says by a better bag and pad, they will add less weight than that will cost you on your back. Those cylinders alone weigh over a pound.

RangerZ
03-14-2015, 20:44
YIKES!!! :eek: don't want to put that in a tent, too much fire risk for me. Like KK says by a better bag and pad, they will add less weight than that will cost you on your back. Those cylinders alone weigh over a pound.

Plus the fire extinguisher that you'll need.

anarky321
03-15-2015, 01:04
tbh i was looking for input from people that have used this specific model , size and space of this unit are not an issue for me for bivouac camping

squeezebox
03-15-2015, 03:32
Someone started a thread about cooking in a tent and there were several photos of burnt down tents. Not worth the risk. Also carbon monoxide.

Starchild
03-15-2015, 06:27
A friend of a friend gear tested one of them from a different maker several years ago. Not sure of it's output. Yours is about 230 Watts, which one can get a idea of heat output from the standard IC lightbulb. It's something but not much. Also a person puts out about 100W so it's like 2 other adults and a small child in terms of heat output in your tent.

The camping (the test for the review) was in the winter and it was a cold night. He claimed it did take the edge off the biting cold inside the tent, so it made a little difference but overall not worth it. A novelty more then useful.

peakbagger
03-15-2015, 06:28
Up in the whites there have been a few deaths due to people using heaters in tents. Usually its in the winter where the snow seals off the ventilation.

maptester
03-15-2015, 12:01
Catalytic heaters do not produce as much carbon monoxide as an open flame heater--but they do consume oxygen. Make sure you leave a vent or window open. "Catalytic heaters use a catalyst mat that looks similar to a fiber A/C filter on the front, except it is made of metals impregnated with platinum which actually is where combustion takes place. Catalytic heaters use a mat that causes the propane to glow at about 800 degrees, instead of the 1000 degrees plus of an open flame heater." http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id110.html