PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Bags (The Mother of Comfort)

illusionistG
11-04-2005, 15:23
I'm looking at purchasing either a Big Agnes or Western Mountaineering bag. I'm curious to hear other hikers comments out there with their experience using the Big Agnes model and the slide in pad system.

Trooper347
11-04-2005, 15:35
I also am considering a Big Agnes sleeping bag, the "Deep Creek" model for use in a hammock. I love the idea of having the pad in the bag to keep it in position.

stag3
11-04-2005, 16:44
Trooper347,

One of the problems with any pad in a hammock is that it is hard to keep in place. Even with the pad in a bag BA, you still might get some movement. This is easy to check--take the bag and see how easly it slide across the hammock. I solved this problem by glueing some no slip drawer lining material to the bottom of the pad. Cheap, light and it works.

Smile
11-04-2005, 16:52
IMO Western Mountaineering the best quality product. Can also get the foot box "overstuffed" for like $15.00 more....

Uncle Silly
11-04-2005, 17:02
I can second the recommendation for Western Mountaineering products. Good stuff.

Re: pad-in-bag, if we're talking about a full-length pad, you're looking at losing some heat due to the bag's being further from your skin. essentially this decreases the rating of the bag. this might not be a problem depending on when and where you're camping, but i think you'll get a better-performing sleep system with a non-pad-in-bag system. if slippage is the problem you're trying to eliminate, stag3's post offers a good solution.

Seeker
11-04-2005, 17:30
i'll third the motion... love my Caribou.i'm a hammocker. i'm in a warm climate, and can use a foam pad down to the high 50s before i need to double up, but plan on getting an underquilt for upcoming colder trips. at 24oz or so, it's about the same as two blue foam pads weightwise, and won't slip out from under me. considered using something that i could slide a pad into, but realized i wouldn't be able to curl up in a little ball with the pad holding my bag laid out flat. (i hope that makes sense).

Trooper347
11-04-2005, 17:51
Thanks for the tip Stag3 about the lining material for anti-slip...

Scotsghost, The Big Agnes bags are made so there is no insulation material on the underside, so there is no compression factor to worry about. According to the website, the temp rating for each bag conforms to this, as a pad/bag combo.

http://www.bigagnes.com/str_bag_home.php

Seeker, I understand the need to curl up...I used to do that, but a few years OTR driving has cured me of that lol...Thanks all for the input

Uncle Silly
11-04-2005, 18:27
I'm not looking at compression factor underneath you so much as the expansion of the air pocket around you -- in order to go around the pad, some of the bag material will be kept further from you and won't insulate you as well. As I understand it, one of the advantages of a snug-fitting mummy bag is reducing the size of that air pocket, getting a closer fit between you and the insulating material, and achieving a more efficient insulation. Maybe BA already takes this into account?

hiker33
11-04-2005, 21:01
I'm not a hammock camper so I can't comment on that aspect, but I love my Big Agnes bag. Best sleep I've ever had on the trail. I just got back from a five-day trip on the AT with temps in the low 20's. I was plenty warm and even left the bag unzipped slightly as I ws too hot. I have an original semi-rectangular Lost Ranger model, but if you're worried about having extra space to heat they do make mummy models as well.

The pad does make the bag a bit wider but the sides are covered with baffles to prevent cold spots. I don't think the bags are much wider than a traditional bag on a pad, though.

The biggest advantage is in the system approach. There are two air pads (insulated and uninsulated) and three foam pad thicknesses available (1, 1 1/2, and 2 inch, for summer, spring/fall, and winter). A variety of overbags allow comfort in any weather. Use a 50-degree outer bag alone in summer, a 15-degree bag in spring/fall, and the two bags together in winter.

Advantages:

-lighter as there's no bottom insulation to carry.

-can't slide off the pad. Great for sleeping on slopes.

-roomy

-built-in pocket for pillowing with a jacket, etc.

Disadvantages:

-need a 78-inch pad with the long model which adds weight.

-can be a PITA to get the pad into the pocket in a small tent in bad weather. It's a lot like putting a pillowcase on a pillow. You kneel on the inflated pad and pull the bag over the pad. In a small space it's tricky.

-the hood is secured by bungee cords which are uncomfortable when pulled tight. I'm going to replace mine with standard flat cord.

-you can't roll the bag which may be a problem for side sleepers. I just sleep on my side with the hood opening at the top and leave it loose enough to ventilate.

These bags aren't for everybody but this middle-aged hiker loves the ability to spread out and sleep as if I'm in a bed after a long day. No more straightjackets for me.:clap

Easy Strider

Heater
11-04-2005, 21:54
There are two air pads (insulated and uninsulated) and three foam pad thicknesses available (1, 1 1/2, and 2 inch, for summer, spring/fall, and winter). A variety of overbags allow comfort in any weather. Use a 50-degree outer bag alone in summer, a 15-degree bag in spring/fall, and the two bags together in winter.

Which pad did you use for the low 20s weather and did you just use the 15 deg bag?

Disadvantages:

-need a 78-inch pad with the long model which adds weight.

Easy Strider

REI's website says the regular bag is supposed to fit up to 5'10'' tall. Do you think that is understating the length or would a 6'0" person fit in a regular?

hikerjohnd
11-04-2005, 23:55
I solved this problem by glueing some no slip drawer lining material to the bottom of the pad. Cheap, light and it works.

Another choice for no slip traction is to put silicone on the bottom of your pad - here is how I did mine:

Mix about a tablespoon of silicone with a couple of tablespoons of mineral spirits(paint thinner) and then apply the solution with a small foam brush. (copied from Tarptent website) -- Then apply the mixture to the bottom of your pad. When it dries, the paint thinner evaporates and you are left with a thin layer of silicone on your pad.

hiker33
11-05-2005, 11:13
Which pad did you use for the low 20s weather and did you just use the 15 deg bag?

REI's website says the regular bag is supposed to fit up to 5'10'' tall. Do you think that is understating the length or would a 6'0" person fit in a regular?

I have the 1 1/2 inch foam pad and it was adequate even on the wooden floors of shelters. I used a nylon groundcloth underneath. I just used the Lost Ranger, no outerbag. I tend to be a warm sleeper. A fleece liner might be another, lighter option for borderline conditions.

I'm 6'00" exactly and needed to buy the long model. I don't like my feet touching bottom but others may not mind. If you can get to a store to test one out it might be worthwhile. Given the uniqueness of these bags I'd test one if possible before buying or at least make sure it can be easily returned if mail ordered in the event you don't like it.

Hope this helps.

Easy Strider

Heater
11-05-2005, 11:21
I have the 1 1/2 inch foam pad and it was adequate even on the wooden floors of shelters. I used a nylon groundcloth underneath. I just used the Lost Ranger, no outerbag. I tend to be a warm sleeper. A fleece liner might be another, lighter option for borderline conditions.

I'm 6'00" exactly and needed to buy the long model. I don't like my feet touching bottom but others may not mind. If you can get to a store to test one out it might be worthwhile. Given the uniqueness of these bags I'd test one if possible before buying or at least make sure it can be easily returned if mail ordered in the event you don't like it.

Hope this helps.

Easy Strider

Thanks Easy.

I am also 6'0". Sometimes the measurements on these merchant's sites are not real accurate. I guess I'd have to get a long because I wan't a little room a the feet at least. I'd probably kick out the seams or something.

I'l go try one at REI if they have one.