PDA

View Full Version : cell coverage

July
03-15-2015, 22:34
Has anyone had AT east coast experience with Republic wireless?

July
03-17-2015, 04:01
Thank you atrroll an d alligater for stellar info

Hangfire
03-18-2015, 02:11
Verizon seemed to be the only service that worked for most of the trail.

adamussg
03-19-2015, 08:17
Is Republic a gsm or cdma carrier? For instance: ATT and Tmobile are gsm and Verizon and Sprint are cdma. Every carrier out there that uses gsm technology in their phones uses ATT and Tmobiles towers. So no matter what carrier you have... you are going to get the same EXACT coverage as an ATT ot TMobile customer would. Likewise... if your carrier uses cdma technology... you will get the same coverage as a Verizon or Sprint customer would. A quick Google search has shown me that Republic uses cdma towers... which means it shares verizon and sprint towers. So based on what Hangfire stated above....you're in luck!

July
03-19-2015, 11:01
Sounds good. I used AT@T from springer to harpers ferry with reception less than 50% of the time. Was hoping that verizon would be more efficient. Thanks for the info guys.

squeezebox
03-19-2015, 20:42
Sounds like the Republic or Verizon is the way to go. Can anyone let me know what to expect for monthly fees and any other related fees? My current internet connect is thru a Tmobile hot spot gizmo. So internet for my desktop needs to be included. It would be nice to have a smart phone on the trail, for weather apps Guthook and such. But my little flip phone does me fine around town here in St. Louis. I don't take pictures or text on it and I don't have cable.
Thanks!!

CalebJ
03-19-2015, 21:08
You should be able to get away with a minimal prepaid plan while you're hiking. Pick up a used phone compatible with the Verizon network and grab a basic plan that has enough data for your needs. I know Verizon has a $45 plan with unlimited talk, text, and 2GB of data. There are some other providers that use Verizon's networks, like Page Plus. Might be a good option to check out.

squeezebox
03-19-2015, 22:51
Where do I get a used phone?

CalebJ
03-19-2015, 22:52
eBay, Craigslist, ask friends, etc. What did you mean by 'internet for your desktop needs to be included'? Are you going to carry a laptop on your hike and use the phone as a hotspot?

Hangfire
03-20-2015, 00:21
The hiker box at Neal Gap:-)