PDA

View Full Version : Handbook of Choice

Former Admin
09-03-2002, 19:36
Between the 2 handbooks The thru-hikers Companion or Wingfoot's thru-hiker handbook ......... which one do you use? Which one do you find most useful? Or do you use both?

SGT Rock
09-03-2002, 20:39
Although the ALDHA book is available for free, I still find that WF's book "The Thru-Hiker's Handbook" has a easier to follow lay out and more real trail info. I found the ALDHA companion to be more of a shelter guide and town guid, which isn't always accurate anyway. The only thing I've ever had a problem with "The Thru-Hiker's Guide" was it being late this year, but if you know WF and his problems this year you would understand it wasn't avoidable.

Hammock Hanger
09-04-2002, 22:36
Book are outstanding books put together through hard work, hiker input and voulnteerism.

My vote, however, after using both is WF's Thru-Hiker Handbook.
I like the way it is put together, I like the milage format.

HH

Peaks
09-05-2002, 07:24
Both are good books for thru-hikers. However, I like Wingfoot's commentary better. Now, if only he gets it out promptly.

PS: Changes happen. Unless you want to see the same out of date infomation published year after year, then take the time to note what has changed and pass the information along to Wingfoot or ALDHA. Myself, I made notations on every page and sent them back to Wingfoot as I went along. After my hike, the only thing left was the two covers.

SGT Rock
09-05-2002, 07:47
Peaks,

Do you miss the pages with the notes?

One thing I regret is not writing journals or keeping notes from hikes done years ago. I'm planning to keep a thourogh journal on my thru-hike, keep notes on everything, take lots of pictures, and even collect whatever keepsakes I can. Years afterwards I want to remember everything I can about it. Maybe a large album with photos, actual journal pages, pages pulled from my trail guide.

Peaks
09-05-2002, 08:07
Do I miss the pages? Not really. The notes on the pages were stuff like correcting distance, correcting lefts and rights, adding new services in towns, and deleting services that are no longer there.

In addition, I did keep up a journal. And I took about 8 to 10 rolls of slide pictures.

If I have one regret, it's not taking enough pictures with other people in them. To quote the music of Takoma Ted, "the people are the trail."

The Weasel
09-05-2002, 10:54
I get both books, and carry only the pages for the segment that I'm on, with the rest of the books in my "bounce box" waiting for me at my next mail drop. However, while Wingfoot's book is excellent, it has now been late (and beyond the departure date of most thru-hikers) EVERY year since 1999. Each year there is a new "problem", and NO one should anticipate receiving it before April of the year of their hike. As a result, unless you're going to work SOLELY out of the Data Book, order your ALDHA book PROMPTLY.

The Weasel