PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah Section hike / Shuttle question

Second Hand
03-16-2015, 20:48
Hello,
I'm looking to do a section hike w/ my father and brother in Shenandoah. They aren't exactly experienced backpackers so I was thinking something easier. I'm looking at going from Route 33 NB to Thorton's Gap on Route 211.

That way we can stay at the Skyline Lodge on the second night.

I could use some help w/ shuttles and places to stay when we first reach VA. Are there Hotels / motels or hostels that will allow us to leave our car and provide drop off and pick up?

I'm also open to a different section if someone has a better suggestion.

Thanks!

Cookerhiker
03-16-2015, 20:58
Suggest parking your car at the lot at Thornton Gap (Rt. 211) and arranging for a shuttle to take you to Swift Run Gap. Consult the ATC shuttle list (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/at-shuttle-list.pdf?sfvrsn=0).

There are motels in Luray which is a few miles west on Rt. 211. Stay in one of them, drive up to Thornton Gap and meet your shuttler.

Second Hand
03-16-2015, 21:02
Suggest parking your car at the lot at Thornton Gap (Rt. 211) and arranging for a shuttle to take you to Swift Run Gap. Consult the ATC shuttle list (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/at-shuttle-list.pdf?sfvrsn=0).

There are motels in Luray which is a few miles west on Rt. 211. Stay in one of them, drive up to Thornton Gap and meet your shuttler.

You make it sound so easy! Thanks

Studlintsean
03-16-2015, 21:47
I would recommend you contact Sharon Shuttles from the ATC list linked above. She is great and also provides lodging in her bunk house (Front Royal) before or after your hike for a donation. Contact her soon as she fills up quick as the season picks up (she was booking for May when I used her in December). The hike from 33 and 211 is an awesome hike. Have a good time.

Second Hand
03-16-2015, 22:59
Thanks Stud, I will email her tonight!

Cookerhiker
03-17-2015, 18:26
If you have time after your hike, an obvious tourist choice is Luray Caverns. I normally eschew privately-owned natural areas but the caverns are very impressive.

Also for your trip between Massachusetts and Luray, you hopefully know this already but don't make the mistake of driving the Jersey Turnpike and I-95, especially the DC portion. Trust me, the traffic will frazzle you. Instead, make your way to I-84 and I-81, head straight down I-81 to the New Market exit for Rt 211 and Luray. Same for your return home.