PDA

View Full Version : Emergency info

squeezebox
03-17-2015, 05:57
I think it would be a good idea if we all carried emergency information, in your wallet and the lid of your pack. Medical info, medication info, phone contact list. Stuff happens, if you get knocked unconscious we can help you.

Traveler
03-17-2015, 06:14
Good point! If you carry a cell phone, have a listing for ICE (in case of emergency), rescue/police will look for that.

squeezebox
03-17-2015, 06:47
Yes that too.

daddytwosticks
03-17-2015, 07:07
Past posts talked about dog tags. Sounds like a great idea. Maybe even one of those "help, I've fallen and can't get up" necklaces? :)

Tprunty8
03-17-2015, 07:21
I wear a "dog tag" with emergency info that's laced into my shoelaces. Costs less than $5, small price to help my family's peace of mind.

Starchild
03-17-2015, 07:58
Good point! If you carry a cell phone, have a listing for ICE (in case of emergency), rescue/police will look for that.

If you lock your phone this doesn't help.

Walkintom
03-17-2015, 08:22
Years ago I picked up a Widearea Information Frequentbroadcast Exporter.

My WIFE contains my medical, financial and travel history. Even such mundanities as my recent drinking is logged and can be retrieved at a moment's notice.

RangerZ
03-17-2015, 08:41
I wear a "dog tag" with emergency info that's laced into my shoelaces. Costs less than $5, small price to help my family's peace of mind.

I've done this for years. Recently I've used a red medical info dog tag on my right boot - also helps me get the right boot on the correct foot.

Also on my dog tags, pack and with meds, I'll admit to a bit of overkill.

Mountain Bluebird
03-17-2015, 08:57
What is a Widearea Information Frequentbroadcast Exporter?? Google does not reveal....

Tuckahoe
03-17-2015, 08:59
Some if y'all may find the products or services of interest at Road ID -- http://www.roadid.com

Of course a card with emergency contact information is too heavy :p

rocketsocks
03-17-2015, 09:06
I keep an old expired photo drivers lic. in my hip belt pouch.

Old Grouse
03-17-2015, 09:22
also helps me get the right boot on the correct foot."

And don't forget TGIF (Toes go in first).

Gray Bear
03-17-2015, 09:32
Years ago I picked up a Widearea Information Frequentbroadcast Exporter.

My WIFE contains my medical, financial and travel history. Even such mundanities as my recent drinking is logged and can be retrieved at a moment's notice.

Yeah but what does it weigh? ;)

rocketsocks
03-17-2015, 09:48
also helps me get the right boot on the correct foot."

And don't forget TGIF (Toes go in first).
good point...wouldn't hurt to notch one of your boot soles, kinda like leaving bread crumbs.

illabelle
03-17-2015, 09:52
What is a Widearea Information Frequentbroadcast Exporter?? Google does not reveal....

It wasn't clear?

MamaBear
03-17-2015, 10:26
+1 for RoadID

kayak karl
03-17-2015, 10:46
carry on person. my wallet is around neck at all times.

i had a Spot in '09. i put my pack at shelter and went to get water. fell down icy hill in january. laying at bottom, with no Spot and all info in pack :(. changed my thinking after that :).

Uriah
03-17-2015, 11:16
The average age of the posters on this thread paints a telling picture. The younger crowd need not apply. But perhaps those whipper-snappers shouldn't feel the need to carry identification, since they haven't figured out who they are yet. We older folk must also remember that they are invincible, as we were too once. I get their logic though: why worry about being ID'd if I were to fall unconscious or dead? It's someone else's problem then.

It reminds me of the ol' joke: The victim will have to be identified through dental records, but what I can't understand is if they don't know who the victim was, how the hell are they going to know who his dentist was?

Walkintom
03-17-2015, 11:18

It won't fit in my pack. Fortunately, it trundles along at about the same pace I do. Unfortunately, it snores during its recharge cycle.

4eyedbuzzard
03-17-2015, 11:21
If you ask a Widearea Information Frequentbroadcast Exporter that question the wrong way,
you may quickly find yourself Dismembered Eviscerated And Decapitated.

Coffee
03-17-2015, 12:30
carry on person. my wallet is around neck at all times.

i had a Spot in '09. i put my pack at shelter and went to get water. fell down icy hill in january. laying at bottom, with no Spot and all info in pack :(. changed my thinking after that :).

I always carry my SPOT with me whenever I'm away from my campsite for more than a few minutes, for this very reason. Some of the most dangerous areas as near streams where I have to get water.

FlyFishNut
03-17-2015, 12:33
Road ID - snazzy bracelet or a lightweight tag that you can lace on your boots, you won't know its there...

jimmyjam
03-17-2015, 13:24
i carry a small laminated card with allergies, meds, and emergency contact.

Odd Man Out
03-17-2015, 13:53
I have my wallet in my pocket every hour of every day. When hiking, I still do, just out of habit. I do have a lightweight hiking wallet that has only the essential stuff, such as the emergency info suggested. I know a lot of people don't carry their wallet when hiking, but I just can't used to not having it.

handlebar
03-17-2015, 15:34
I carry a small laminated card with allergies, meds, and emergency contact.
I do the same. On the PCT my permit was laminated to the back side as well. I carry a 4 oz Jansport Fifth Ave fanny pack at my waist that has my hiker wallet, camera, GPS, SPOT, sunblock, lip balm, bug dope, and the laminated card. This stays with me wherever I go.

MuddyWaters
03-17-2015, 18:59
Not a bad idea.
But if you have medical conditions, you should do so anyway, everyday.

jackwagon
03-19-2015, 10:21

I typed the info onto a Word doc, then took a pic of it with my phone. I use that pic as the wallpaper for my phone, so it can be seen without having to unlock.

Tuckahoe
03-19-2015, 11:38
I typed the info onto a Word doc, then took a pic of it with my phone. I use that pic as the wallpaper for my phone, so it can be seen without having to unlock.

Now that is a really good idea!

Bluegrass
03-19-2015, 11:59
Another happy RoadID customer here. At this point I think I have three of them - one for my running shoes, and then two of the Wrist ID slims. I would buy another if I could figure out a good way of attaching one to my ski boots. I find they are inexpensive enough that it is easier to simply buy new ones than try to remember to move it between different gear.

I use the interactive version with my name and an ICE phone number on the first two lines, and then login information on the next lines.

http://www.roadid.com/

My friends refer to it as my "splatter bracelet" - if I splatter on the sidewalk while running, I can have my body identified.

medicjenn76
03-19-2015, 14:59
As a Paramedic the old medical alert bracelets are still common, but with the digital age they have a great new option. Its a silicone Medical Alert Bracelet that has a integrated USB flash drive. Very simple plug and play information drop boxes and space for free text. Most are water tight and for first responders and Emergency Room staff its as easy as plug it into a computer and open a basic file. Very user friendly. Just an idea.

gillian
03-19-2015, 16:13
I just checked out the RoadID site. It seems like you could just go to a local pet store and print out a tag with your information for just a few dollars there. It might not be a nice bracelet, but seems like an adequate budget option.

Odd Man Out
03-19-2015, 16:17
Also, I do the dirt-bag version of laminating. I have a roll of 2" wide clear packing tape for mailing packages. Print your info. Cut down to the size of a credit card. Then cover both sides with the clear tape and trim. Instant, no cost laminating.

IdgieNC
03-19-2015, 17:22
I have a dog tag around my neck and in my first aid kit I have my notepad which has allergies who to contact phone numbers and addresses.

WingedMonkey
03-19-2015, 22:26
I have no medical information.

My name and address are in my wallet (nylon).

If I'm dead they can return me to sender.

CarlZ993
03-24-2015, 10:45
I use a Road ID for running (ankle bracelet). I didn't use it on my thru-hike (probably should have). I kept my emergency info on the first page of my notepad/journal that was in my front shirt pocket (in ziplock). I also carried a SPOT.

88BlueGT
03-24-2015, 11:06

This was my first thought. Best to keep your phone unlocked while you're out (no password, fingerprint protection, etc.)

bfayer
03-24-2015, 11:40
Most smart phones let you program owner info on the lock screen. No need to keep your phone unlocked if you have a newer phone.