PDA

View Full Version : Approach trail or not?

adamussg
03-17-2015, 15:58
I'll be arriving at Atl airport around 11am in a couple weeks and plan on catching a shuttle straight to Amicalola... How long do you think it takes to hike from the approach to Springer shelter? If I'm arriving at the airport around 11.... By the time I catch a shuttle to the approach will I have time to hike the approach up to the shelter before it gets dark? I am a pretty average hiker... But can get some quick bursts... :) Im thinking if I cant make it to the top of Springer before nightfall I'll just skip the approach all together. Thoughts anyone?

Lone Wolf
03-17-2015, 16:10
i've walked it in 3 hours from where the approach trail crosses the road by the lodge. get dropped off there if you're gonna hike it

adamussg
03-17-2015, 16:18
Thanks... Shoots 3 hrs is nothing . Looks like I'm taking the approach. :)

Uriah
03-17-2015, 16:39
The shelter will be full, so you needn't set your sights on it if you're planning on having a roof overhead your first night out. There are plenty of places to camp en route, however.

It's a fairly challenging hike from the visitor's center, but also a fairly scenic one. The falls themselves are quite nice. Three hours is considered fast for the first day out...I'd estimate closer to four hours, with some time at Springer itself, to ponder the odyssey before you.

The way I look at it is it's more hiking, which is never a bad thing!

AO2134
03-17-2015, 16:44
I'd do the approach for 3 reasons. (1) It makes the experience longer, (2) Amicalola Falls are pretty cool in its own right, and (3) there is absolutely no reason not to.

It took me about 3 hours to do the 8.8 miles from the base to Springer. It is not nearly as difficult as many people say. I think it worth it. I think most, however, would say skip it. It is a "blue blazing" and not part of the official AT I guess is their argument.

I think the average hiker should be able to make it up in under 4 hours. The average person like 5 hours.

Donde
03-17-2015, 17:17
It's a nice hike, and Uriah is right that shelter will be packed. There is a shelter on the approach trail about a mile before Springer, and plenty of campsites (shelters are lame anyway). Don't let anybody scare you off that it is too hard of a climb for day one, that is NOBO wussy talk just ask a SOBO.

Slo-go'en
03-17-2015, 18:05
It's a whole lot easier if you start at the lodge. That will save you an hour. I doubt you'll get on the trail much before 2 PM. You got until 7-7:30 before it starts to get dark? Hard to say how long it will take you since we don't know how good a shape you'll be in or how heavy a load your starting out with, but as noted there are ample opportunities to stop if it's taking longer then expected.

MuddyWaters
03-17-2015, 18:54
The shelter will be full, so you needn't set your sights on it if you're planning on having a roof overhead your first night out. There are plenty of places to camp en route,

+1
Forget about the shelter, you may not even be able to camp near it. Plenty of time to meet your 50 new best friends the next day. And the next. And the next.

CrumbSnatcher
03-17-2015, 19:16
there's a shelter right behind the visitor center

elray
03-17-2015, 19:26
We nearly skipped the approach on our thru attempt last Spring not knowing at that time that our hike would end just shy of 300 miles. We are now officially section hikers but for that first month we were "thru hikers" with the approach under our belts. You may never pass that way again, do the approach!

squeezebox
03-17-2015, 19:39
Do the approach it's only a 1 day hike.

Jake2c
03-17-2015, 19:40
Really not trying to be a wet blanket here but if your going to try and make it in 3 hours then even at the lodge that would be a quick hike (almost 8 miles) for me. I have been there and there are a lot of ups and downs. From the visitor center you go up a long way and that is at the beginning of an 8.8 trek to the SM terminus, add .2 for the shelter. The math is simple, if you can average about 2 mph and you do the whole approach trail then 5 hours will do it. When I start, maybe because I am older, but I am not going to be in the shape I would need to be to do that in 5 hours and want to get up the next day. Sure, if it was a flat walk I would be fine but you start at 1700 feet and will at 3733 at the shelter with a lot of ups and downs along the way. If you add all the ups you will have climbed over 3500 feet. Last time I was there I ran into a very experienced hiker who had already done the trail in the past along with the complete Florida trail. He was probably moving at about 1mph or a bit more when I saw him in a flat area, stopped and talked. Didn't look tired at all and was enjoying himself. He was taking his time because it was day one of his current hike. He let what looked to be less experienced people pass that were probably carrying 2-3 times as much weight and looked like they were about to quite. There is probably a good point in that approach. Oh, I asked him about doing the whole approach portion and he recommended it. Partly because he said it used to be part of the AT. Have fun.

rickb
03-17-2015, 20:16
i've walked it in 3 hours from where the approach trail crosses the road by the lodge. get dropped off there if you're gonna hike it

You walking it this weekend, or making better use of your limitted time out there?

I am looking forward to your trip report and photos.

Don't let the Bears get your food.

Lone Wolf
03-17-2015, 20:21
You walking it this weekend, or making better use of your limitted time out there?

I am looking forward to your trip report and photos.

Don't let the Bears get your food.no, ain't walkin' the approach. gonna take crowd, firepit and trash photos. da bears won't get my food cuz it'll be right next to me. oh yeah, i'll get photos of piss poor bear bag hangin' too

rickb
03-17-2015, 20:36
Might not be your style, but a short video could be good too. Perhaps with sound for youtube.

MuddyWaters
03-17-2015, 22:50
Thanks... Shoots 3 hrs is nothing . Looks like I'm taking the approach. :)

Id say the time from the visitor center ranges from 4-10 hrs depending on condition and pack weight.

jawnzee
03-17-2015, 23:11
don't worry about it, it really doesn't matter. the AT is around 275 approach trails long. just get out on a trail and enjoy.

shakey_snake
03-18-2015, 10:05
The approach trail only exists to make you ask questions about it and learn that there are no right or wrong answers.

It's like the "jump program" that Morpheus takes Neo to in the first Matrix move.

FREE. YOUR. MIND.

WingedMonkey
03-18-2015, 10:45
I'd suggest camping along the approach trail.

You would have less of a crowd of family and friends and back-trackers to share Springer Mt with if you get there early enough in the AM.

You also won't be in the mass leaving directly from Springer Mt Shelter, although you will find folks still laying around there as you pass the shelter.

swisscross
03-18-2015, 12:26
If the lodge was not so darn expensive I would suggest hiking from the arch to the top of the stairs, stay at the lodge for the evening.
Take a hot shower, eat a great breakfast and hit the approach early.
Get to Springer before lunch, eat, take a few pics and see how far you can comfortably go.

Walkintom
03-18-2015, 12:28
Approach trail is beautiful. If you're gonna hike the AT, why NOT do the approach trail?

Seatbelt
03-18-2015, 13:56
Later, you'll be glad you did, unless you plan to come back multiple times.

QiWiz
03-18-2015, 14:02
A few years ago, did 3 weeks on trail from Amicalola to Hot Springs. Left Cleveland on earliest flight, got shuttled to Amicalola Falls SP and hit the trail about 12:30 PM. Was able to get to Springer and the nearby shelter area before dark. You should be OK.

CalebJ
03-18-2015, 14:07
I don't remember precisely what time I hit the trail in April last year, but late enough that we drove from Atlanta and stopped at CVS and REI, then hit up the lodge for lunch. Started at the road crossing by the lodge and made it past Springer and a couple of miles onto the BMT well before dark.

adamussg
03-19-2015, 08:10
Thanks everyone! I AM going to do the approach trail. I don't plan on doing much shelter sleeping. I have a tent. I was referring to the shelters earlier because there are "established" campsites at the shelters for me to pitch my tent. Thanks to everyone for reading my post and taking the time to weigh in with your opinions. It's made my decision sooooo much easier!!!