PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Partner or Group for Long Trail

Chloe1227
03-17-2015, 19:01
Hello!

I am planning a northbound thru-hike on the Long Trail for mid-late August into early September. I just moved to Vermont 7 months ago, and haven't had any success finding someone to go with me. I would love to find a partner, or to join a small, already established group. This will be my first long thru-hike. I just signed up with the Green Mountain Club to be paired up with a mentor who's completed the hike before, and I plan to get as much knowledge as I can from them while also backpacking this summer as much as I can to prepare!

I can't start the hike before mid-August, as I'm currently serving with AmeriCorps and my term of service is up early that month. I am a 23-year-old female.

Anybody interested? Let me know!

bigcranky
03-18-2015, 07:04
The GMC mentor program helped us a lot, though the advice was all over the place. You just have to filter it through your own experience.

The Long Trail is tough, no question, but it does make a great intro thru-hike, and late August sounds like a terrific time to start. (We went in early July.) Logistically it's not that bad - there are plenty of places to resupply and hitching into town is fairly easy in Vermont. I don't know your experience level, so I won't just say "go solo" - but we did meet numerous young female solo end-to-enders last summer, so it's possible.

Hope you enjoy the hike. Vermont is a beautiful place.

mark schofield
03-18-2015, 07:56
That's a nice time to do the LT. And if you go south to north, you might meet more people along the way going north whom you could hook up with.

Jeff
03-18-2015, 10:14
That time of year you will have the company of northbound Appalachian Trail Thruhikers for the first 100 miles of the Long Trail. That makes for an enjoyable social experience. You may crave a little quiet time after 100 miles !!!

fastfoxengineering
03-18-2015, 15:19
I went the same time of they year this past year and it was great. I went sobo

If your a nobo, you'll have plenty of company at the time. LT hikers and AT thru-hikers. You probably won't spend a night by yourself the first 100 miles unless you stealth camp.

Praha4
03-18-2015, 21:08
Ditto what others said. If you start in late August, you'll be amidst a lot of both NoBo and SoBo AT thru hikers, until you get north of US-4 at Maine Junction. I've hiked the LT in August and September, and by far I prefer hiking Vermont in September. August can still be hot and muggy up there. By early September the fall weather begins to bring relief from the humidity and heat, and the weather really changes quickly in mid-September, with big swings in temperatures. Getting ready to do another LT NoBo hike this September, starting the week after Labor Day.

have fun, you'll meet a lot of nice folks on the LT and in trail towns, I love hiking Vermont

BirdBrain
03-18-2015, 21:54
I am headed out NoBo about mid July. Too early for the OP. I did New Hampshire and 30 of the 4000' hills along the way last year. I was alone for the vast majority of that walk. Beautiful but sometimes boring being alone. I would rather not be alone for the section north of the Maine jct. This conversation is tempting me to change my start date. Doubtful, but tempting.

bigcranky
03-18-2015, 22:13
I would rather not be alone for the section north of the Maine jct. This conversation is tempting me to change my start date. Doubtful, but tempting.

Everything I had read before our hike led me to think that the trail north of Maine Junction was incredibly remote and lonely. We didn't find either to be the case.

North Star
03-19-2015, 11:45
Before I went on my thru hike last June/July, I tried to convince friends to join me, and was concerned that I might not be safe hiking by myself, especially since this was my first long distance hike. Indeed, it was my first overnight backpacking trip of any sort. As the start date drew closer, I started resigning myself to a solo hike.
The truth is, it was far from a solo hike, and I quickly made friends on the trail. During my hike, I only had one night in a shelter without any company, and by that time I was totally ready for the solitude. I would say that doing the hike solo is actually much more rewarding in many ways. You can always take things at your own pace. You have time to contemplate without distraction. You can end up feeling much more a part of the forest. If I were to "hike with somebody", I would still spend most of my time hiking along, just meeting up with them for lunch stops or at shelters.
I encountered many solo hikers, and a large percentage of them were women. They also told me that they felt quite safe hiking by themselves on this trail.
As for the northern section being remote and lonely, parts of it were, but never for long. Camel's Hump was where I saw the most people during my entire hike. More than remote and lonely, the trail is tougher, with more rocks and many places where you have to stop and plan your footing. It's also the most amazing part of the trail.

I feel lucky that I had to hike it solo. For me, it made it a more rewarding experience. Your milage may vary, but my advice is, don't fear the solitude, embrace it!

Chloe1227
03-19-2015, 13:54
Thank you all for your encouragement & advice so far!

It's true that I didn't think much about all of the hikers I would meet along the way, and I agree with some above that I would want to spend some time hiking alone anyway even if I set out with others.

I am still looking for a partner or group, but now I feel determined to make the trip happen even if I have to set out alone. And for those of who you think it sounds tempting- let's do it! I know it's going to be a beautiful time of year here in VT and I'm super excited.

rubyvermonter
03-20-2015, 12:40
I section-hiked the Long Trail almost 15 years ago (and then section-hiked the AT. I am going to lead a section hike of the LT for the Montpelier section of the Green Mountain Club: first week-end in June, July 4th week-end and 14-16 days starting August (however much time it takes!) Feel free to contact me directly.

Little
03-29-2015, 08:29
My Aunt and I are planning to thru hike long trail in 2016 starting mid August. If you have the desire to do it again the following year you are more than welcome to join us. Good luck with your trip. I know I am looking forward to mine.

Pifflek
03-30-2015, 15:37
Would love to find a partner too -- my dates won't work for the OP, but I'm planning on going SOBO starting Aug 3rd. Would love company, at least for a bit! I'm also planning on some high mileage days, but would be nice not to start alone. If anybody wants to meet in Burlington on Aug 3rd and start from Journey's End together, let me know.

chemcat
04-20-2015, 08:03
Hi Pifflek, I am also looking for a hiking partner for early August going SOBO. PM me if interested.

B-Snow
04-23-2015, 08:26
Chloe: Too bad you did not want to start earlier. I work at a College so July is the latest I could start my trek this year.

takethisbread
06-02-2015, 18:57
Hello!

I am planning a northbound thru-hike on the Long Trail for mid-late August into early September. I just moved to Vermont 7 months ago, and haven't had any success finding someone to go with me. I would love to find a partner, or to join a small, already established group. This will be my first long thru-hike. I just signed up with the Green Mountain Club to be paired up with a mentor who's completed the hike before, and I plan to get as much knowledge as I can from them while also backpacking this summer as much as I can to prepare!

I can't start the hike before mid-August, as I'm currently serving with AmeriCorps and my term of service is up early that month. I am a 23-year-old female.

Anybody interested? Let me know!

I'm heading out around that time. Keep in touch.
Digger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mirabela
06-02-2015, 19:23
We might run into you out there depending when you start in August; we'll be SOBO from Bromley to North Adams around the second week of the month. Sorry we can't be helpful about partnering, but I think others are spot on -- there's a ton of company out there, and doing a distance hike solo does give you a lot of freedom. That's a great seasonal window for the trip; you should have a great time.

jackiehale72
06-23-2015, 23:25
I'm planning an end to end June of 2016. Can you postpone a year? Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yukon
07-03-2015, 08:25
Have a great trip! I'll be starting Mid-August as well, but I'm heading SOBO. I'll pass ya somewhere! :)

Hikemor
07-05-2015, 14:11
Planning a NOBO E2E starting the second week in Sept.

apompea
07-11-2015, 14:00
I am seriously considering hiking the Long Trail starting sometime after August 7 until I return to work as a teacher at the end of August, I too would be interested in a hiking buddy. Let me know your plan! I am a 25 year old female.

jackiehale72
07-11-2015, 17:19
If you should so happen to reschedule for next year?!?! I'm planning a end to end hike. I coach at our local middle school, so my schedule relies on someone with a window of opportunity that mirrors my own. Thanks & let me know!!!!!

apompea
07-12-2015, 08:23
Lets keep in touch! I wanted to do an end to end this year, but fear of going alone, and getting engaged and having to work all of summer school to save $ prohibited me from taking it on. I still really want to do it, and going into it with someone would definitely be helpful!

soilman
07-12-2015, 08:41
Went SOBO about that same time period in 2013. I had several nights by myself until I got to around Mt Mansfield. Many of the nights I was not alone was spent with college groups out for orientation. To me this is the one drawback for hiking during this time of year. I only ran into three other LT SOBO thru hikers during my entire trip, so not much chance to partner up.

jackiehale72
07-13-2015, 13:02
Okay that sounds great! I have a couple of other people interested in section hiking a large portion of the trail. However, they can't afford the "End to End" experience.. i.e. My girlfriend & one of my best friends. If you'd like? You can find me on Face Book. Jackie Hale, South Point, Ohio.

jackiehale72
07-14-2015, 13:43
Also, you can find me on Instagram @jackiehale72. [emoji111]️