PDA

View Full Version : Where should I start section hiking in July

hiking@40
03-18-2015, 04:31
Hello all, I am new to the site and was looking for advice on where to start section hiking towards end of July. The plan is to start section hiking with my 13 year old son and eventually hike the whole AT. This "plan" will likely take at least 8 years (lol). I would say I'm an intermediate hiker (he is too), some experience but its been awhile. Wanted to start on an beginner to intermediate section. I have been doing some research and found Pennsylvania, New York, and Maryland seem to fit this description. I read Pennsylvania is hot and has water problems this time of year. I suppose I am fooling myself if I don't think it will be hot every where. Any suggestions/info is welcomed! Thanks for your time!

illabelle
03-18-2015, 05:32
Welcome to WhiteBlaze! :welcome
I avoid hiking in the summer heat, but if that's when you have the opportunity, I guess that's just how it is. The best parts of the trail for late July would probably be in Maine, but those are also some of the most rugged, remote, and difficult. If you are in shape for it, Maine is an option. We are attempting our first Maine section in early August, expecting to cover less than 10 mpd.
Or you could spend time in the White Mtns of New Hampshire - another rugged difficult area, but with expensive on-trail accommodations if you want to go that route. A lot of the trail thru the Whites is above treeline, so you'll have the uninterrupted breeze, but also no relief from the sun.
Another possibility is the Smokies, but you'll need to go to their website and read up on the permit/reservation requirements. The Smokies will be warm, but tolerable.
Enjoy your hike!

4eyedbuzzard
03-18-2015, 09:11
For somewhat cooler summer weather (at least in the evenings) plus hills and then smaller mountains that aren't as difficult as ME of NH, I'd suggest hiking from roughly the NY/CT border thru CT, MA, and VT, which is just under 300 miles total. If you go NOBO, you will start on easier terrain which will increase in difficulty by the time you reach VT. And if you blow through them quickly, you can always continue on into NH.

wornoutboots
03-18-2015, 09:15
I might have missed it but you didn't state how long your sections will be but the math breaks down 8 hikes into @ 300 miles per section? The options are endless but starting @ Hampton, TN & heading N would start you out in a relatively level area and then show some excitement of hiking into Damascus to resupply, showing your son a real hiker friendly town, grabbing a cheap bunk at "The Place" hostel while at the same time, that donation helps out the local church who owns the hostel. Then you hike out of town & hit the amazing the Grayson Highlands where you can hire a shuttler to drop you off a resupply at Massie Gap or Fox Creek if you need to & continue you on. Again there are a ton of options but this is a more "levelish" option which will allow you two a start that's somewhat easy & not get burned out. Whatever you decide enjoy!!

full conditions
03-18-2015, 09:29
I think all of the above are fine suggestions and I'll add that I hike in the Smokies quite a bit during the summer months and the high country where the AT runs is typically (not always) about 15 degrees cooler than the valleys below. One thing that makes my summer hiking more manageable is getting an early start on my day (often before 6:00 am) and an early stopping time (1:00pm or so). This worked reasonably well for me during my thru hike in the mid-Atlantic states. In fact, I would often begin walking by headlamp and around and finish around lunch time. Best of luck with your decision. If it helps, I'm a teacher with June, July and first half of August off and I'm sectioning with a friend who has always wanted to hike the entire trail - this year we're headed to Pawling, NY and hiking north to Hanover in July.

Cookerhiker
03-18-2015, 11:36
I might have missed it but you didn't state how long your sections will be but the math breaks down 8 hikes into @ 300 miles per section? The options are endless but starting @ Hampton, TN & heading N would start you out in a relatively level area and then show some excitement of hiking into Damascus to resupply, showing your son a real hiker friendly town, grabbing a cheap bunk at "The Place" hostel while at the same time, that donation helps out the local church who owns the hostel. Then you hike out of town & hit the amazing the Grayson Highlands where you can hire a shuttler to drop you off a resupply at Massie Gap or Fox Creek if you need to & continue you on. Again there are a ton of options but this is a more "levelish" option which will allow you two a start that's somewhat easy & not get burned out. Whatever you decide enjoy!!

I think this is the best suggestion since your schedule pretty much requires you to hike in July (unfortunately). Once you start at Rt. 321, you have some ascending as you wind around Watauga Reservoir. Otherwise, the 40 or so miles to Damascus is dubbed the "Tennessee Turnpike" because it's fairly easy.

Yes, Maine and New Hampshire would be more comfortable in the summer but very rugged for a new hiker from the flat midwest, not to mention your son. And I discourage the mid-Atlantic of MD, PA, NJ, NY, along with CT because the weather is just as hot as the mountain south, likely more humid, and the mosquitoes are worse from NJ northward. Plus the NY stretch west of the Hudson River is quite strenuous with very steep ups and downs.

Hope it works well!

Slo-go'en
03-18-2015, 12:42
The problem with NH in July and early August is the risk of afternoon thunderstorms which are almost a daily occurrence. Plus there is a lot of haze in the air making the views not so good. Of course, that's true pretty much anywhere along the AT in July, but in NH you can be above tree line or on steep climbs and descents a lot which makes it much more dangerous.

I did NJ/NY once in July, which unfortunately coincided with a 10 day heat wave. Heat index of 100+. Man, that was brutal.

Kids typically need to get ready to go back to school by mid August, so I'm guessing you only have a couple of weeks for hiking stating at the end of July. My suggestion would be to start at the Hudson River in NY and go north as far as you can, likely into Vermont. That's a reasonably easy section with a lot of walking in shady forests.

Odd Man Out
03-18-2015, 13:38
I did my first 6 day section hike last July in VA (near Roanoke). I personally didn't find the heat that oppressive. It was hot and humid in the valleys, but the mountains are a bit cooler. It helps that the temps were normal (not a heat wave). I was very worried about the heat, but I too had a limited window of opportunity to hike in so I just went for it. It didn't really turn out to be a problem. I did have to carry a lot of water at times as this was a relatively dry stretch of trail, especially in the summer. Also bugs did not cause me any trouble. It turns out the 2000' climbs were a biggest challenge. Don't underestimate the climbs, like I did. I hiked 70 mile NOBO into Daleville.

shelb
03-18-2015, 23:37
My first section, in early August, was the state of Maryland - HOT ! - with my 9 and 11 year old sons!
2nd section: SNP in July with record hear (99 degrees at Waysides and 115 degree heat index) - with my 10 year old son, a friend, and her 11 year old son.

Now, I do find it easier to go in mid-June due to the lower temps.

However, you hike when you can! As an earlier poster advised, get up early! Be on the trail no later than 6am...and into camp by 1 or 2pm.... This allowed the boys to wind down, chill out, and cool down! Don't stress high miles... with the boys, we did anywhere from 5-14 a day, depending on shelter location. Be careful to not have too many "higher milage days" (10 or over) in a row.... Again, the major thing here is to "romance" the youth into enjoying the trail.

Have fun!

Rain Man
03-19-2015, 10:42
Yes, the Mid-Atlantic states are notoriously hot and humid in July on the AT.

I first set foot on the AT on July 31, 2003 and hiked for 3.5 days, until August 3rd. My zipper thermometer never got above 78 degrees.

So, it's not merely a function of month, but also of elevation and frankly the exact weather pattern. Those days happened to be during a week of cool temps right down the narrow spine of the Appalachians into Georgia.

Wherever you go, I'm betting you and your son will have stories to tell. Enjoy!

hiking@40
03-21-2015, 18:00
illabelle, Thanks for the great information. July wasn't my first pick, I would prefer the fall. We already have a family vacation planned for fall, I start school back up, and so do the kids. I got nasty letters from the schools last year, that my kids were in danger of missing too many school days, because we took them out for a Yellowstone adventure! I get the whole attendance thing, but they get good grades, and I want them to see the wonders of this country before they get too big. Sorry rambling lol. anyway, I hope to try a fall trip next year. Have a blast on your Main adventure!

hiking@40
03-21-2015, 18:03
Wow, thanks for all the advice guys. This is a great site! I appreciate the support. I am excited about this new adventure!

hiking@40
03-21-2015, 18:09
wornoutboots, Sorry, I did not put how long I was going to hike. I was looking at a 4 day hike, maybe 10-15 miles a day. Didn't want to expect too much and definitely wanted to enjoy the hike lol. I had researched a 45 mile hike in Maryland that seemed moderate.

Siestita
03-22-2015, 02:48
"...I would say I'm an intermediate hiker (he is too), some experience but its been awhile. ... I was looking at a 4 day hike, maybe 10-15 miles a day. Didn't want to expect too much and definitely wanted to enjoy the hike lol..."

Perhaps the previous hikes that you and your son did were multi-night backpacking trips during which both of you enjoyed walking 10 to 15 miles each day through mountainous terrain. If that's the case, and if both of you are still similarly fit today, then your plan to cover 10-15 miles a day makes sense to me. But, yes the enjoyment that the two of you will have is the important thing, rather than the number of miles covered. You'll be fine with ups and downs, even large ones,as long as you're willing to pace yourselves, perhaps walking more slowly than you might while doing day hikes in Illinois.

I agree with shelb's advise that you consider limiting the number of "high mileage' days (over ten miles)" that the two of you will do. Backpacking with youth who were approximately the same age as your son, I've had good experiences, sometimes covering just five to eight miles per day. Yes, those boys were physically capable of walking more miles, but doing so would not necessarily have enhanced their experiences. Our AT hikes together were successful, in my opinion because, some of those kids subsequently decided to continue backpacking.

Consider devoting your four days to hiking approximately 32 miles from Grayson Highlands State Park to Damascus, Virginia. That exceptionally scenic hike passes through some of the highest (hence coolest) parts of the southern AT. Or, to complete a more demanding 41 mile walk traversing the entire Grayson Highlands, you could start nine miles further "north" and do Virginia Route 603/Fox Creek to Damascus.

hiking@40
03-22-2015, 23:40
Thanks again for all that took the time for advice and suggestions. I have decided to take the advice of hiking Grayson Highlands State Park area. Definitely go thru Damascus. Sounds like a great way to "break" us in on the trail. Now onto researching my gear....hooray!

shelb
03-23-2015, 00:12
As Siestita mentioned, the terrain is what is so different on the A.T.

My sons were fit, in athletics, and had been running 3-5 miles every other day before the hike. They did fine in MD; however, the mountainous terrain was something they were definitely NOT used to!

Personally, I am glad we did MD the first hike - it was awesome for them to be able to say "I hiked across the State of Maryland." Plus, the hike offered many historical points that drew the attention of a youth their age. Of the other 350 miles I have hiked, none compared to this one for a first time hike with kids that age.... (even if it was hot!).

joshuasdad
03-23-2015, 09:00
If you have some decent experience, do not rule out the Maine Hundred Mile "Wilderness" SOBO. There are a surprising number of bailout points, and in my view, the trail does not become even moderately difficult until KI road (about 70 miles in). The difficult miles 70-100 SOBO give you numerous options to bail if needed (e.g, AMC lodges near KI road, shuttles starting at 15 miles from Monson). Everywhere is going to be potentially hot in July, but at least in Maine, you have the option to cool off in a pond or wide stream for much of the hike.