PDA

View Full Version : NOBO vs. SOBO

squeezebox
03-18-2015, 05:24
I'ld like to hear from some folks who have done both NOBO & SOBO, and something about the difference in hiking in either direction. I hear Maine is tough so starting there is not for me. I'm one of the Harpers Ferry flip floppers, so I'ld particularly like to hear what to expect from the 2nd half SOBO.

soilman
03-18-2015, 22:02
I went SOBO from ME to VA and 34 years later did a NOBO thru. I didn't find ME that difficult when I went SOBO, but I was in my 20's then. With the exception of Katahdin the first 170 or so miles in ME is relatively easy. This is the lake country and you pass a lot of ponds. There are some climbs in this section like White Cap Mt at about 3600 feet elevation and the Barren-Chairback range, but most of these are less than 2500 feet elevation. To me the more difficult section of ME starts soon after you cross the Kennebec River and you hit the Bigelow Range. Bigelow is known as ME's second mountain. If you are flipping from HF and going SOBO, you should be in shape to go SOBO from ME.

fiddlehead
03-18-2015, 23:46
The best part of a SOBO is the lack of crowds.
The worst is you start with the biggest section between resupply right off the bat.
And then you have the problem that you've already done the best part early in the hike.
But, number one above makes it all worthwhile.

Having done both, I would never do another NOBO unless I had a very strong reason. (on the AT anyway)

4shot
03-19-2015, 07:35
I'ld like to hear from some folks who have done both NOBO & SOBO, and something about the difference in hiking in either direction. I hear Maine is tough so starting there is not for me. I'm one of the Harpers Ferry flip floppers, so I'ld particularly like to hear what to expect from the 2nd half SOBO.

I have not SOBO'd but the idea of a flip is appealing. I assume you are going Ga to HF, then Me back to HF. If this is correct, I would think that you would be hitting the "worst" or "toughest" part while at the peak of your trail fitness...i.e, the "middle" of your particular hike which is ideal. One of the factors that makes that NH/ME stretch so tough for the ""mature" NOBO thru hiker (imo) is that it comes at the end of a very long hike. I just felt a bit worn down (mentally and physically) by the trail when I hit that stretch.
One day I would like to hike that section with fresh legs...just think I would enjoy it a bit more. This is why any future thru hike for me on the AT would be SOBO (or a flip of some type). Enjoy your hike.

squeezebox
03-19-2015, 11:07
4 shot; A group of us are doing the opposite of your assumption. We're starting May 3 out of HF going to Maine, then back to HF for the southern half SOBO.
My question was mainly is there much difference doing the southern half later in the season and SOBO instead of NOBO? Biggest reason for me is to get away from the crowd. Check out the thread Flip floppers unite.

Donde
03-19-2015, 11:23
Squeezebox: For your purposes the biggest thing is that water may be a little bit more scarce depending on how late in the season you go. I had some dry stretches south of SNP, and in TN in OCT and NOV of 2013. Also some frozen stretches in NOV and DEC of 2013. This is of course a relative statement it will still be super wet compared to the first 700 miles of the PCT.

Also some hostels, shuttlers, etc. will be closed when you get there.

SOBO is so much better though, less people, generally better people, experience multiple seasons etc. Have a great hike.