PDA

View Full Version : Standing Indian Loop - Hike Plan Review

gobblerthumper
03-18-2015, 10:19
I'm planning an April trip with my boys. Looking at doing Standing Indian Loop; Attached is what I worked out. Hoping that someone familiar with the route could validate what I put together.

saltysack
03-18-2015, 10:37
Looks good...I've done several times...I like to park at back country kiosk..just past campground and head up long branch trail to glassmine gap..clockwise?...either way...looks good...great tent site at top of si mtn...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solotreker
03-20-2015, 00:26
OMG! I just spent the entire evening preparing a similar chart. Still it was good to see someone else's handiwork. The only thing I wish I had now is a "map" of the trail thru these sites. It's just the way my brain works. Any chance of finding something like that? Heading out in early April. Just hope it warms up a bit before then.

Woodturner
03-20-2015, 06:03
That is one of my favorite short hikes.
I always just parked at Rock gap, walked to the start of the Kinsey Creek trail, and walked the loop back to the car.

bigcranky
03-20-2015, 06:19
You mean someone else creates these things for weekend hikes? I thought I was the only one.

I like this loop going clockwise, but it works well either way.

daddytwosticks
03-20-2015, 07:13
If you do the loop counterclockwise, you save the wetter portion (Kimsey Creek Trail) for the very last. However, Long Branch Trail can be wet also. You can't miss either way you do it. It's a great hike. :)

bigcranky
03-20-2015, 10:57
Um, hang on, I thought clockwise did the Long Branch first and Kimsey Creek last. Or am I totally backwards this morning?

saltysack
03-20-2015, 11:53
Um, hang on, I thought clockwise did the Long Branch first and Kimsey Creek last. Or am I totally backwards this morning?

Haa me too

daddytwosticks
03-20-2015, 14:18

Whoa! Bigcranky is correct, my mistake! Sorry. CLOCKWISE takes you up Long Branch trail first. Sorry for the confusion. :)

gobblerthumper
03-20-2015, 19:29
OMG! I just spent the entire evening preparing a similar chart. Still it was good to see someone else's handiwork. The only thing I wish I had now is a "map" of the trail thru these sites. It's just the way my brain works. Any chance of finding something like that? Heading out in early April. Just hope it warms up a bit before then.

On the last page I put in a map; but your right it doesn't have the trails marked. I spend half of today looking for topo overlays for google earth but didn't find anything. I love camping but this will be my first true backing experience. My kids live in chattanooga and go all the time.

saltysack
03-20-2015, 21:53
It's really not hard to follow...lil hard to find Kimsey creek trail at deep gap..also get turned around in the campground..don't sweat it...

ChrisJackson
07-13-2015, 11:08
Just finished this weekend, we had a great time.

Parked @ the Backcountry Information Center booth & did Long Branch Trail -> AT -> Kimsey Creek Trail. All right-hand turns.

Water everywhere. Don't recall seeing any poison ivy.

Was awoken Saturday night starting around 9PM @ Beech Gap by close, creepy screechs. A bird of some sort.

After searching around, I think it was probably a Barred owlet "wheeze". If interested: http://www.owlcam.com/soundlib/sound_lib.htm

Not sure though. But, it was a high point of the trip. We did hear the familiar "Who-cooks-for-you..." throughout the night.

Looking forward to hitting this again in the fall or winter.

saltysack
07-13-2015, 13:51
Just finished this weekend, we had a great time.

Parked @ the Backcountry Information Center booth & did Long Branch Trail -> AT -> Kimsey Creek Trail. All right-hand turns.

Water everywhere. Don't recall seeing any poison ivy.

Was awoken Saturday night starting around 9PM @ Beech Gap by close, creepy screechs. A bird of some sort.

After searching around, I think it was probably a Barred owlet "wheeze". If interested: http://www.owlcam.com/soundlib/sound_lib.htm

Not sure though. But, it was a high point of the trip. We did hear the familiar "Who-cooks-for-you..." throughout the night.

Looking forward to hitting this again in the fall or winter.

What were temps like? Day/night....

ChrisJackson
07-13-2015, 14:19
What were temps like? Day/night....

Mid 70s to mid 60s at night. We had a nice breeze Saturday. Running shorts & REI LS Tech shirt during the day, Merino wool (200 weight) top & bottom at night. Did have to add my Merino 250 weight top Saturday night though- felt chilly (it rained, that may be why). JRB ~25F TQ/UQ w/liner. Totally zonked out.

The Kimsey Creek Trail was a bit buggy. Not quite "bring a head-net" buggy...but almost...they didn't bite- just annoying. They may have been midges, not sure.

SOLODARE
08-19-2015, 11:56
can some one confirm the feature codes?
S= shelter
w= water
c=camp
sorry I'm new.

rtfi
08-21-2015, 15:53
If you have the time, take the side trail to see the John Waslik Poplar. It is about 1.5 miles round trip.
http://www.stayandplayinthesmokies.com/vendor/wasilik-poplar-trail/