PDA

View Full Version : Shelters/hostels/resupply

Bannunciato
03-18-2015, 13:50
Are the Shelters over crowded, as well as the hostels, and do the resupply places have enough stock

wornoutboots
03-18-2015, 14:02
If you are talking about starting at Springer from now to the 1st week of April. The answer is Yes, Yes & No. You can resupply at dollar stores or grocery stores all the way until Fontana which I would mail my only drop there.

jupiterkn
03-18-2015, 14:06
4/16 start at Springer....can't wait and have my my first mail drop setup for Fontana. Was thinking of sending to Fontana Lodge. Can't find an address for Fontana Hilton, any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wornoutboots
03-18-2015, 14:24
The "Hilton" is the trail Shelter that sits on the lake (it's called the "Hilton", as a joke because of it's size). Send it to the lodge, you can grab a good meal while you are there as well, Have a great hike!! ~Boots~

wornoutboots
03-18-2015, 14:25
4/16 start at Springer....can't wait and have my my first mail drop setup for Fontana. Was thinking of sending to Fontana Lodge. Can't find an address for Fontana Hilton, any ideas?

This did make me laugh though!! :)

jupiterkn
03-18-2015, 15:18
It's all good.

Thanks so much boots....

wornoutboots
03-18-2015, 21:48
It's all good.

Thanks so much boots....

You're welcome Jupiter! Just another cool thing about the trail, the surprises that are around every corner & what you may think is one thing then you get there & it's something totally different & it's sure to put a smile on your face & lead to fun conversation! Have a Fantastic Adventure!!!

Bronk
03-19-2015, 14:56
Yeah...little surprises...like when I got to Fontana Dam and the grocery store had just opened for the season and all they had on the shelf was what was left over from the previous season. I remember piling 90 candy bars on the counter and the girl at the register said to me "you can't live on just candy." I said "you don't have anything else in your store." So I got a steak dinner at the lodge and entered the smokies with a backpack full of candy bars.

Hangfire
03-20-2015, 00:18
If you want a spot in the shelter, say there's a big storm approaching or you just don't want to set up your tent, plan on getting up early and trying to get to the shelter by mid day. Just a bit of advice don't plan on big miles early on, in fact it is very beneficial to keep it under 10 a day for the first month.