PDA

View Full Version : Beeswax vs regular... Helluva price difference

FlyFishNut
03-18-2015, 16:22
UCO Candle Lantern Beeswax Candles - Package of 3
I really like my UCO candle - on a cold night hanging from the top of my tent it puts out just enough light and a little heat and mentally just makes the night less frigid.

I saw at REI these candles, and they have a "12-15 hour burn time" (seems like huge range btw) vs an "up to 9 hour burn time" of the regular.

$12.95 vs $3.95 for a set of three.

The only noted benefits are :

Natural beeswax produces less smoke and a pleasing scent while also producing negative ions that actually help clarify the air

So - is there that much of a difference to justify that kind of price hike??

Rocket Jones
03-18-2015, 16:44
Not to me.

FlyFishNut
03-18-2015, 17:29
Some reviews - plus Campmor has them for $10

Some reviews:

I ordered a set of beeswax and a set of paraffin candle lantern replacement candles. When I opened the package the beeswax candles smelled like honey. If I could smell this, I know that a bear would in the back country. The beeswax candles do last a lot longer so I would only use them in areas where no bears are present.

You cant go wrong with these , yes they cost more but one pack will last three times longer than the white or citronella . They clean the air in your shelter and help keep out condensation . They will raise (along with body heat) the ambient temp in your shelter on a 0 degree night to 45 degrees .

kayak karl
03-18-2015, 17:32
the beeswax burn clean. they other candles would be dripping wax, i think :confused:

FlyFishNut
03-18-2015, 17:51
I'll do a test - (on my patio this weekend) to see how the two types burn differently. Beverages may be involved....

4eyedbuzzard
03-18-2015, 18:14
UCO Candle Lantern Beeswax Candles - Package of 3

I really like my UCO candle - on a cold night hanging from the top of my tent it puts out just enough light and a little heat and mentally just makes the night less frigid.

I saw at REI these candles, and they have a "12-15 hour burn time" (seems like huge range btw) vs an "up to 9 hour burn time" of the regular.

$12.95 vs $3.95 for a set of three.

The only noted benefits are :

Natural beeswax produces less smoke and a pleasing scent while also producing negative ions that actually help clarify the air

So - is there that much of a difference to justify that kind of price hike??
Just some facts without passing judgment:

ALL candles produce soot (unburned carbon compounds and impurities) due to incomplete combustion. The primary by products of combustion of all hydrocarbons, including candle waxes, are carbon dioxide and water vapor (so much for any claims of less water vapor/condensation), with small amounts of carbon monoxide, unburned carbon and other impurities (soot and other gases). Beeswax candles produce less soot according to many claims, but note that these claims are often from sources promoting/selling beeswax candles. Wick systems in general are not particularly efficient or clean burning as the melted, wicked, and then evaporated fuel doesn't mix as well with oxygen as in other types of systems that atomize the fuel droplets to mix with oxygen in the air. Think of a rag soaked in diesel fuel vs an engine or furnace burning same fuel. The rag gives off a lot more smoke. Beeswax candles may produce somewhat less soot, due to the somewhat different chemistry of the fuel, the purity, the quality of manufacture, etc., but they are still burning hydrocarbon compounds with oxygen in the presence of heat, just like paraffin candles. The biggest thing regarding candle soot tends to be the length of the wick. Long wicks equate to more fuel being evaporated into roughly the same combustion envelope/space, more unburned fuel by percentage, and therefore more soot. Candle burn time depends upon wick length, wind/drafts, fuel density, ambient temperatures, etc, - lots of factors that can lead to big burn time ranges.

ALL combustion processes produce both negative ions and positive ions. In fact, most gas furnaces rely on the production of these ions in order to operate their flame supervision/safety system. A small electrical current is passed through the flame through these charged ions (which conduct electricity) and then monitored to make sure that the fuel is actually burning and not just entering un-ignited into the combustion chamber and exhaust system (where it would then present a combustion or explosion hazard). The disassociated ions recombine very quickly once out of the flame envelope however, and long before they reach your nose. So the negative ion claim, is honestly just pure BS from a scientific standpoint.

No comment on the safety aspect of burning a candle in a tent other than that there are small dimmable LED lanterns, that are not ignition sources, that are probably lighter than candles. For the amount of time you're burning a candle, and in a tent which is drafty, I doubt it makes a lot of difference soot wise. And I have no clue as to whether or not bears equate the smell of honey that is claimed to be produced by beeswax candles with dining al fresco.

Given the overall cost of hiking, I really don't see candle price as a major factor all other things considered. If you like them and they add to your enjoyment, buy them. HYOH.