PDA

View Full Version : Blood Mountain Cabins Sold

Chair-man
03-19-2015, 10:26
I was reading a trailjournal this morning that said while he was staying at the Blood Mountain Cabins he heard that it was just sold. I did an internet search and found that it was listed for $895,000. (http://www.bbonline.com/forsale/bloodmountaincabinscountrystore7/?type=state&refstate=GA)
So, to make sure I wasn't spreading any rumors I thought I'd call the Cabins and ask. Sure enough, I was told they were closing at the end of the month.

I stayed there in 2013 when I did a section hike in October and met George. What a great guy. The rental rates were very reasonable and they did my laundry for free. I just hope the new folks don't change things too much.

Looks like George will finally have some time to do some hikin' of his own.

Walkintom
03-19-2015, 12:24
We also stayed there in 2013 and loved the great treatment that we received.

bamboo bob
03-19-2015, 14:45
Stayed there in 2000 when there wasn't much else. Also in 2012 just for fun. Frozen Pizza etc.

Boo8meR
03-19-2015, 14:56
I stayed there 2 nights ago and it was amazing. The people were great. That's a shame. Hopefully the new ownership will be similar.

peakbagger
03-19-2015, 15:32
That asking price sort of threw me. I don't see how it can be a working business and pay off the mortgage.

Slo-go'en
03-19-2015, 17:32
That asking price sort of threw me. I don't see how it can be a working business and pay off the mortgage.

That was my thought too. It's possible it sold for much less then list price, but even so. I guess it all depends on how much traffic they get the rest of the year. Cheap rent to thru hikers for a few months wouldn't cut it.

Chair-man
03-19-2015, 18:52

Whoever is buying it must have some pretty deep pockets. The money made from an investment like this isn't from the business but what they would be able to sell it for 10 years from now. I wonder what George paid for it? You could look it up on the county appraiser web site if you know the address.
If the game of Monopoly was the Appalachian Trail the Blood Mountain Cabins would be Boardwalk. IMO

MuddyWaters
03-19-2015, 20:55
Real estate is often priced at ~8 x annual revenue

BonBon
03-20-2015, 10:18
When I read the first paragraph I misunderstood and thought you meant closing-as in closing the doors- but I realize now you mean a real estate closing. I called to see if my reservation would be impacted and they assured me they were not closing and asked if I would clarify that here, in case anybody else read it that way.
So- they have reservations into the next year and will continue to offer their wonderful cabins!

Sly
03-20-2015, 12:34
If the game of Monopoly was the Appalachian Trail the Blood Mountain Cabins would be Boardwalk. IMO

Nah, the NOC would be.

4eyedbuzzard
03-21-2015, 09:39

Nah, the NOC would be.

The AMC, if it could be taken private for-profit.