PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend a two week section to hike in April?

bigfeesh
03-19-2015, 14:11
Hey guys Dutch here, thru hiked in 13'. I'm getting laid off from my job soon and am thinking of taking a two week hike somewhere on the trail. I was thinking somewhere around virginia/tennessee. I feel like if i hiked anywhere south of that -at that time- I'd be hiking in a mob of hikers.

Thoughts? Suggestions don't have to be limited to the a.t..

CalebJ
03-19-2015, 14:20
What kind of daily mileage do you have in mind?

bigfeesh
03-19-2015, 14:22
Probably 15 or so

Coffee
03-19-2015, 14:45
I hiked from the south end of SNP near Waynesboro, VA to Boiling Springs, PA during the second half of April last year. Great weather, leaves still not on the trees in SNP so there were great views, few crowds, and it got warmer after getting north of Shenandoah. I only met two thru hikers. Boiling Springs is a good place to get off trail since it is near Harrisburg but you could also get off at Harpers Ferry and take advantage of the train connection there to DC.

bigfeesh
03-19-2015, 15:20
That sounds like a great route coffee, PA has some great hiking up to a certain point before it turns to rocky crap, I wish I could remember which gap that was.

rjjones
03-19-2015, 20:46
North of Duncanon seems to be where the worst part of the trail,rock wise,starts.{in my opinion}

Cookerhiker
03-20-2015, 13:05
I'd start in Daleville and hike north as far as you can get. Don't have my mileage sheet with me but I believe it's 160 miles to Waynesboro which your pace will take you to in a week-and-a-half. You could then hike to Swift Run Gap in Shenandoah NP (Rt. 33) and further on to Thornton Gap if you still have time. Virginia is very nice in April. Just be prepared for cold rain but you should also have springlike weather.

jmoore1855
03-20-2015, 13:15
Springer to Fontana

Coffee
03-20-2015, 14:47
That sounds like a great route coffee, PA has some great hiking up to a certain point before it turns to rocky crap, I wish I could remember which gap that was.

Few rocks in PA up to Boiling Springs. Actually it was very easy hiking. I remember some rocks in MD in certain spots.

MuddyWaters
03-21-2015, 11:56
Anywhere south of Damascus you will likely find good #s of hikers in April.

Id do Shenandoah National Park to Harpers Ferry. If its not subject to cold spell or late snowstorm or something.

bigfeesh
03-21-2015, 16:10
Good stuff guys thanks, think I got a pretty good idea of what I'm going to hike now. Hopefully the weather cooperates.