PDA

View Full Version : Need info for November hike in Shenandoah NP.

Mongoose2
11-05-2005, 10:43
Looking for advice on a late November AT hike in SNP. Looking for a 2-3 day easy walk. Any advice? I hear this is a beautiful section of the AT. Appreciate the help!

Mongoose

Cookerhiker
11-05-2005, 11:44
Looking for advice on a late November AT hike in SNP. Looking for a 2-3 day easy walk. Any advice? I hear this is a beautiful section of the AT. Appreciate the help!

Mongoose

The AT in SNP is divided into 3 nearly equal stretches created by roads bisecting the park:
Front Royal to Thornton Gap (to Rt. 211)
Thornton Gap to Swift Run Gap (to Rt. 33)
Swift Run Gap to Rockfish Gap (to Interstate 64 & Rt. 250)

Suggestions (assuming you only want to hike the AT and not the myriad of interesting side trails):

1. Compton Gap (the northernmost crossing of Skyline Drive) to Rt. 211 - 25 miles - easy 2 day hike. Tack on a third (slightly more difficult) day by continuing on to Skyland and take the short side trail to Mary's Rock for a splendid view of the Shenandoah Valley.

2. Thornton Gap to Swift Run Gap - 35 miles - 3 days if you want an "easy" hike. This hike takes you over the highest point of the AT in SNP. A 2-day option would be 18 miles Big Meadows to Swift Run.

3. Swift Run Gap to Rockfish Gap - 44 miles - 3 days or Loft Mountain Campground to Rockfish Gap in 2 days. I maintain a stretch of AT near High Top mountain and may see you in late November.

These are only a few possibilities. Because Skyline Drive intersects the AT numerous times, it's easy to pick segments that match your available time and pace. Keep in mind that the Park begins to shut down facility-wise in November - check their website for exact seasonal hours. Generally, the central section will be more "open" at Skyland and Big Meadows.

One late November memory of mine at SNP: a magnificent display of rime ice. Hope you see it also. But one thing guaranteed: you'll see plenty of deer and probably red-tailed hawks.

Have a good hike.

peter_pan
11-05-2005, 12:03
Be prepared for rain and some snow ( generally Light) in late November in SNP...plan for night temps routinely in the 30s & 20s. It is a great time of year in SNP... AT , Cedar Run Trail, White Oak Canyon is a great two day loop and including the loop over Old Rag Mtn is also doable in three days, but will challenge you especially in Nov.

Pan

Saluki Dave
11-06-2005, 11:56
I'm planning to do the short section between Loft Mtn and Rockfish Gap next weekend. I spoke to a nice fellow at the Rockfish Gap Visitor's Center and he told me that due to the extreme drought this summer, the fall colors have been delayed and are just now reaching peak. Maybe a bonus if you go early enough. He also said water could be a problem. I'm planning to cache water at selected road crossings on my way into the park. Hope you have a great hike.

Nean
11-06-2005, 21:24
A few Novembers back we had to skip SNP; the rain below was ice in the park and because the leaves were still on the trees the weight was dropping limbs and bent undergrowth across the trail. It was beautiful but not recommended. Check the weather before you go, and enjoy.

Blissful
11-06-2005, 21:46
We did the northern section of SNP last weekend and had snow on the Marshalls and lots of down trees because of the early snowfall. And of course the leaves on the trail make it a challenge to see the hazards. But the AT in SNP is very easy all the way through the park. Water could be a challenge though in certain sections, esp since the water will be turned off in the developed areas and the springs are slow in the southern section.

MedicineMan
11-06-2005, 22:51
no problem with water where water was supposed to be but as you already know much of SNP is ridgewalking with little water...last weekend one picnic area was still open and i got water out of the bathroom....suprise water was on the way up Compton mtn. with 2 sources and a most needed spot.
Gravel Springs water supply was much touted but not that impressive to me but all the water sources (except on Compton) looked good to me so i didnt filter or treat.

Saluki Dave
11-14-2005, 22:21
The spring at Ivy Creek Maintenance Shed (Loft Mountain; adjacent to trail just N of the wayside)) was running like a spigot. The spring at Blackrock Hut was very slow, but water could be had easily at the creek down the fire road in Blackrock Gap .7 miles south. The creek in Jarman Gap was flowing well. The spring at Calf Moutain Shelter was running very well.

Nice walk from Loft Mountain to Rockfish Gap except for the stretch betwen McCormick Gap and Rockfish, which was nearly continuously booby trapped with MTDs (Mineralized Tripping Devices) cleverly disguised by a boot-top high accumulation of CDPM (Chlorophyll-Deficient Plant Matter).