PDA

View Full Version : Gold Panning on a Thru

ctebeau
03-19-2015, 19:28
Anyone out there tried panning for gold along the trail? Any luck? So i hear theres gold in them hills. I mean call me crazy but I'm bringing my pan with me on my thru attempt this year. its only another 4 oz. to my pack, so why not. Who knows, i might just find a nice nugget that will cover the cost of my trip!! haha. At the very least it works as a nice plate and gives me something to do when sitting around.

elray
03-19-2015, 19:32
Just don't roil the water at the springs, pisses off everyone! Good luck!

Slo-go'en
03-19-2015, 19:32
Not much gold in those hills. You might find some pretty rocks though.

kayak karl
03-19-2015, 19:44
now i've heard everything :) how many other things are you bringing that ONLY weigh 1/4 lb. ?:rolleyes:

Tuckahoe
03-19-2015, 19:55
It has been a few years since I did the research, but there are pretty significant deposits of gold from Alabama to the DC area. I believe that between Virginia and North Carolina there are about 600+ gold bearing sites, much of that in their piedmonts and foot hills areas. Do your research on the sources of the Rapidan and Rappahannock Rivers, along with Lake Anna's source waters in Virginia. In North Carolina look into potential Pisgah and Nantahala NF panning sites as well.

Theres a creek I have been taking iron ore from, that others are infact taking gold from.

MuddyWaters
03-19-2015, 19:59
You usually dont pan at the top of the mountain, and thats where the trail likes to stay. Gold washes downhill and accumulates in places.

4eyedbuzzard
03-19-2015, 20:04
Your best chance of finding gold on the AT is probably if someone loses a piece of jewelry at a shelter.

BirdBrain
03-19-2015, 20:13
I was thinking the same thing. As such, you might have better luck with a metal detector. All kidding aside, it is your call. I lugged fishing gear through the 100 mile wilderness. Big mistake. Unless you plan on taking zeros on the trail, there is little time for such ventures. It just ends up being extra weight.

Lone Wolf
03-19-2015, 20:25
Anyone out there tried panning for gold along the trail? Any luck? So i hear theres gold in them hills. I mean call me crazy but I'm bringing my pan with me on my thru attempt this year. its only another 4 oz. to my pack, so why not. Who knows, i might just find a nice nugget that will cover the cost of my trip!! haha. At the very least it works as a nice plate and gives me something to do when sitting around.

don't listen to the naysayers. plenty of small creeks, streams and rivers to pan. everybody else is rushing to katahdin. you hang back and pan

Miner
03-19-2015, 20:51
I saw a couple of people panning on the PCT. But everyone knows that California is the Golden State for a reason. Is it worth it on the AT?

Malto
03-19-2015, 20:53
I know several people that hiked the trail free just by panning for gold and tradin it in at the general store in town.

Tuckahoe
03-19-2015, 20:58
I saw a couple of people panning on the PCT. But everyone knows that California is the Golden State for a reason. Is it worth it on the AT?

Long before CA, North Carolina was the gold state.

Feral Bill
03-19-2015, 21:11
Not possible. Your burro won't be allowed on the trail. Seriously, is your gold pan good for cooking in? That might make it a better idea.

ctebeau
03-19-2015, 21:36
I mean hey, all the haters and judgers out there feel free to hate. Im not going out hiking the AT searching for gold by any means. And im not planning on spending a tremendous amount of zeros sitting by a stream digging up dirt. but when I do come across a nice looking spot down in a valley, maybe i will decide to cut the day short and relax by the stream panning a bit. I mean after all isn't that why we all go to the trail. To live a little deliberately and spontaneously.

ctebeau
03-19-2015, 21:40
It has been a few years since I did the research, but there are pretty significant deposits of gold from Alabama to the DC area. I believe that between Virginia and North Carolina there are about 600+ gold bearing sites, much of that in their piedmonts and foot hills areas. Do your research on the sources of the Rapidan and Rappahannock Rivers, along with Lake Anna's source waters in Virginia. In North Carolina look into potential Pisgah and Nantahala NF panning sites as well.

Theres a creek I have been taking iron ore from, that others are infact taking gold from.

And thanks for the advice Tuckahoe!

BirdBrain
03-19-2015, 21:46
No hate here. Your call. I hope you find some. That would be cool. The best plan is the one that works for you. It is all just choices. I have seen the other extreme too. Many thrus are zombies by the time they get to Maine. Many just have their heads down just trying to get to Baxter.

MuddyWaters
03-19-2015, 21:54

Of course, Dahlonega GA was the site of the first gold rush in the US. Dahlonega came from the Cherokee word for gold

Sarcasm the elf
03-19-2015, 21:55
Long before CA, North Carolina was the gold state.

Sure was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Gold_Rush

The Georgia Gold Rush was the second significant gold rush (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_rush) in the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States), and overshadowed the previous rush in North Carolina. It started in 1828 in present-day Lumpkin County (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumpkin_County,_Georgia) near the county seat, Dahlonega (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dahlonega), and soon spread through the North Georgia mountains (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Georgia_mountains), following the Georgia Gold Belt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Gold_Belt). By the early 1840s, gold became difficult to find. Many Georgia miners moved west when gold was found in the Sierra Nevada (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_Nevada_(U.S.)) in 1848, starting the California Gold Rush (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Gold_Rush).

BirdBrain
03-19-2015, 21:59
I hope you post about how the panning goes. Regardless of how it goes, someone will be saying I told you so. I might just be you.

ctebeau
03-19-2015, 22:04
I hope you post about how the panning goes. Regardless of how it goes, someone will be saying I told you so. I might just be you.
I'll make sure to update if i find any luck. Maybe a little buried trail magic?!? but most likely I'll end my hike not a penny richer then i left haha. But its all in good fun

Sirsnappy09
03-20-2015, 05:30
There was a guy panning in 2008. I don't recall his name nor do I know If he ever found anything but he had a good time.

Traveler
03-20-2015, 06:06

I mean hey, all the haters and judgers out there feel free to hate. Im not going out hiking the AT searching for gold by any means. And im not planning on spending a tremendous amount of zeros sitting by a stream digging up dirt. but when I do come across a nice looking spot down in a valley, maybe i will decide to cut the day short and relax by the stream panning a bit. I mean after all isn't that why we all go to the trail. To live a little deliberately and spontaneously.

I have seen several people outfitted for gold panning, but only one actually panning along the AT (no luck but lots of pretty stones in his pocket). The folks who were outfitted for panning said they typically follow the brooks and finger streams either to a table where the stream levels and heavy metals can deposit out or down to the base of the mountain where any gold would wash down. None of them claimed to have found much color, all of them I have seen were day or weekend hikers.

You need to be careful doing this however, the AT easement can be rather narrow in places and as soon as you clear the easement boundary you will very likely be on private property. Property incursions are not taken lightly if you are taking (stealing) valuable minerals, plants, or historical object from the property owner.

As an aside, when you ask for opinions, you should avoid terming anyone who may disagree with what you want to do as "haters and judgers". No one did that, nor called you crazy even though you requested it. You got some pretty good points of view all things considered. When posting a question to a group that has hundreds of years of combined experience, you may want to lessen the ad hominem to avoid being seen as immature.

I wish you well and will be curious what you end up finding.

daddytwosticks
03-20-2015, 07:16
If that gold pan is metal, take it along. Can be used as a cooking vessel! :)

renegade47803
03-20-2015, 07:56
You will find that quite a few folks on here have their own opinions on what a hike consists of. Some even have a certain formula. Hike your own hike, I bet you'll have a better time than they will.

Pedaling Fool
03-20-2015, 08:08
You never know what's out there, the vast majority of people just stay on the trail, i.e. the definition of tunnel vision. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/150319-china-ili-pika-animals-conservation-science-rare-species/

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b3/Ili_pika.jpg/220px-Ili_pika.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ili_pika.jpg)

full conditions
03-20-2015, 09:25
A few years back, a trail volunteer was helping with the construction of a new section of the Mountains to Sea trail near Asheville and dug up a buried valise full of cash - thousands of dollars. He turned it in to the police and the Asheville Citizen Times ran a story about it. Not sure if it was ever claimed by anyone.

Ktaadn
03-20-2015, 09:53
Is it even legal? Generally digging and/or removing anything from State/Federal/Private property is not.

LNT???

Tuckahoe
03-20-2015, 10:03
Well of course it's legal. A quick Google search will show you for example the National Forest regulations which cover recreational or hobby panning. Public right of ways and access to such creeks are pretty well established.

swisscross
03-20-2015, 10:06
The more I read this thread the more I think it is a fine idea.
No reason to rush to K. Have fun out there.

Bronk
03-20-2015, 10:17
After awhile you'll realize that that 1/4 pound of weight would be better spent carrying a cheeseburger out of town.

BirdBrain
03-20-2015, 10:52
When people ask a question, it is sometimes hard to tell if they want advice or encouragement. An array of advice was given. I would advise against it. However, it appears that he was mainly looking for encouragement. Can it be done? Of course it can. It might even be fun. People carry much heavier luxury items like instruments and electronics. Even if it ends up being dead weight, it will surely not be the biggest lesson learned on the walk.

imscotty
03-20-2015, 11:46
If Ctebeau strikes the motherload, imaging what the hHiker Heard would be like the next season!

Odd Man Out
03-20-2015, 11:58
Shopping often does not result in buying.
Fishing often does not result in catching.
Panning often does not result in finding.
Hunting often does not result in killing.
Thru hiking often does not result in Katahdin.

But if your objective is to go out and have fun, then you are guaranteed success.

Alleghanian Orogeny
03-20-2015, 12:15
I worked as a mineral exploration geologist for 6 years following graduation from Appalachian State University with a BS-Geology. Much of my time was involved with gold exploration in the Piedmont between about Fredericksburg, VA and Roanoke, AL. I spent some time in the north GA mountains near Dahlonega, also.

Once you pass into NC from GA, you're away from the known gold-bearing rocks until reaching the Mount Rogers area of VA. Yes, there were highly isolated placer discoveries and workings in and south of the Smokies, but nothing worth lugging even a small pan for. Some of the first Europeans, led by DeSoto, scoured the larger streams of the Smokies and came up empty.

From just north of Mount Rogers all the way to Roanoke, zip, zilch, no chance whatsoever--sedimentary rocks of the Valley and Ridge with no gold.

From Roanoke, VA all the way to Harper's Ferry, you're on or very close to the Catoctin greenstone, known to host some very small copper deposits, a very small handful of gold discovery claims, but no great shakes and no meaningful historical production.

North of Harper's Ferry, you're soon back in barren sedimentary rocks (barren at least as far as gold is concerned), all the way into NY.

From southern NY all the way to Katahdin, you're back in crystalline rocks in which some metals and gold have been found, but with essentially zero significant production.

As has been noted, aside from the relative paucity of the right rocks, running the ridges as the AT does keeps you away from streams where panning can be done.

AO

Lynnette
03-20-2015, 13:36
HI- I have rock hounded all over that area: Blue sapphires, garnets, tiny rubies, gold, fools gold and some pretty green agate type that shines up real well. There are emeralds there, but did not find any. I was not on the waters that services hikers. Some land requires owner permission and its forbidden in the Wildlife Mgmt areas and certain National Forests and Parks. Study the local geology, past land uses and strong weather events. Remember your basic science of density and where things would settle out. Use piece of stiff bug net (Hancocks fabric) as screen for sluice. There is a rock & mineral museum in Franklin NC which is really worth going to. Check the web site for the days they are open. Last year there were 2 hikers from the midwest that hung out around Dalogneha for several days panning for gold. There is a place you can pay or you can root out your own local field trip. Virginia, PA and Maine are good rock and mineral belts as well. I have a blue cab made from a blue rock (actually silica iron furnace slag) picked up in PA where the public works dept had dug up the area to install a water line and had a giant pile of stones you had to hike around. You can only see the blue after it rains.
L

wornoutboots
03-20-2015, 13:47
Great Idea!!! Have a Blast on YOUR hike/adventure!! I hope you strike it rich :sun ~Boots~

88BlueGT
03-20-2015, 15:36

I stopped reading the thread at this post here. The trail is about whatever you want it to be about. If you want to cut you days short and pan, sounds awesome to me. Enjoy yourself. If someone sees you and rolls their eyes, roll them right back.

Enjoy your trip + GL!

peakbagger
03-20-2015, 17:32
The AT in western Maine is on the outskirts of several tourmaline strikes along with Berol and a few other semi precious stones. The drainage along the Rt 17 crossing has some recreational gold panning down river near Coos Canyon. There is also some recreational panning on the dead river above Flagstaff lake near Bigelow. As the trail leaves Gorham, it passes an old silver mine and the original AT route out of Gorham via the Mahoosuc trail runs by a abandoned lead mine. The mine is sealed off with steel bars as its bat wintering site but folks still work the tailings pile. There was reportedly silver in the mine but not of significant value.

MuddyWaters
03-20-2015, 18:26
The real gold out there, is ginseng.

Hikes in Rain
03-20-2015, 18:53
If you're panning in the areas where gold is/was known to be there, you'll likely come up with a flake or two. Assuming they're big enough to see, and that you notice and recognize them. Maybe even two or three!

Traveler
03-21-2015, 08:08

The real gold out there, is ginseng.

Indeed true. I would not want to be found stealing minerals or plants from private property, theres a high likelihood the experience will not be enjoyable and no police would be involved.

dmax
03-21-2015, 08:36
When you make it to Erwin, be sure to have your pan. The Nolichucky River has gold, especially up in the gorge. I've carried my backpacking sluice up there more than once.

Fredt4
03-22-2015, 12:51
Not being a hater or judged but if you're panning you ain't thru-hiking, just saying.

joshuasdad
03-23-2015, 09:44
I bumped into some tourists panning near Standing Indian Campground, though I think they were looking more for emeralds and other stones. Carrying panning equipment NOBO might be fun at first, but I can see that equipment being shipped home pretty quickly after Jacob's Ladder...

88BlueGT
03-23-2015, 11:48
Not being a hater or judged but if you're panning you ain't thru-hiking, just saying.

I'm pretty sure you just judged someone in this exact sentence you state that you're not judging.

Ktaadn
03-23-2015, 13:17
Just to clarify and confirm, LNT doesn't apply to people panning for minerals and precious metals?

88BlueGT
03-23-2015, 15:50
Just to clarify and confirm, LNT doesn't apply to people panning for minerals and precious metals?

I'm not sure that anyone is going to come to a river and noticed that it's been panned (sorry for my lack of technical terminology).

fredmugs
03-24-2015, 07:36
When I stayed in Stratton there were two guys staying at the hostel who were panning and they showed me about half a vial of gold.

Pedaling Fool
03-24-2015, 08:17
Or you could just go to your local sewage plant...

http://news.yahoo.com/feces-contains-gold-worth-millions-224632128.html

Excerpt:

"Human feces contains gold and other precious metals that could be worth hundreds of millions of dollars, experts say.

Now the trick is how to retrieve them -- a potential windfall that could also help save the planet.

"The gold we found was at the level of a minimal mineral deposit," said Kathleen Smith, of the US Geological Survey, after her team discovered metals such as platinum, silver and gold in treated waste."