PDA

View Full Version : OR Helium II or Marmot Precip

Jack89
03-20-2015, 00:47
I got both of these jackets in the mail from REI to see how I like them and I'm having a little trouble choosing one. On the one hand the Precip is full-featured, pit zips, pockets, comfortable and would probably be a lot warmer in the cold. I also like the way it fits and it weighs in at 11.4 oz on my scale. On the other hand, the Helium II is super light, weighing in at 6.8 oz in a XL. It's also fairly comfortable but feels more like a wind shirt, which could be a bit of a plus if it can double as one.

My other layers include a merino wool t-shirt, a Patagonia Capilene 4 hoody, and a Montbell Thermawrap jacket.

I'm starting my thru hike in Georgia on April 3rd and i'm thinking I might still hit some winter-like weather during that first month.

My questions are, will the Helium II be enough in the first month? Will the lack of pit-zips suck, and how dies it work as a wind shirt substitute?

I've never owned any previous versions of these jackets, so any input would be welcome.

Cheers.

Deadeye
03-21-2015, 11:02
My experience with the Precip is that it makes a nice windbreaker, but is lousy as rain gear. It wets out very fast. I cut the sleeves off at the elbow and leave it in my golf bag.

LAF
03-21-2015, 17:08
I've owned a precip and a helium; would never buy another precip. In fact, I gave mine away. I have had good luck with a Montbell Versalite on the AT that has pit zips and weighs in about 6.5 oz. my heavier duty shell (think Denali or winter in the Whites) is much pricier but it has taken a beating (Arcteryx)

LAF
03-21-2015, 17:12
I've owned a precip and a helium; would never buy another precip. In fact, I gave mine away. I have had good luck with a Montbell Versalite on the AT that has pit zips and weighs in about 6.5 oz. my heavier duty shell (think Denali or winter in the Whites) is much pricier but it has taken a beating (Arcteryx). For me, the helium would work based on your start date but i like having pit zips, hence the Montbell versalite over the helium.

and apologies for the double post, my bad

CalebJ
03-21-2015, 22:32
Interestingly, I'm on my second precip and they've worked great for me. No issues with wetting out.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-21-2015, 22:57
What about the Montbell Rain Trekker?? Anyone with experience with that one?

Rex Clifton
03-22-2015, 09:31
I have both of these jackets and, if you're thru hiking definitely take the Helium. The weight difference and the hood design on the Helium makes it a better choice.

Poedog
04-02-2015, 13:48
Helium all the way. When you shred it just send it back for a new one under the OR Infinite Guarantee.

jcreamer
04-02-2015, 15:44
I've had two precips (I gave my first one to my son) and have had excellent results from them. The first one has been dragged all over the country by me and then my son. Other than replenishing the DWR once a year I haven't really treated it that well to be honest. It is a heavier jacket but still lightweight in the grand scheme of things (just us hikers consider 11.4oz "heavy"). It is very warm and I will admit that if it is raining in the middle of summer you will get wet with sweat. But I personally have not had it wet out from saturation and it has endured some major rain on hikes as well as football games.
I'm sure there are better choices. But for me, I am pleased with my selection. Marmot seems to make quality gear overall.
JC