PDA

View Full Version : What to do about work?

TheHikingDead
03-20-2015, 08:35
So here's my dilemma. I worked the same dead end, go no where retail job for 9 years, and hated every day I was there. Almost a year ago to the day, I found a job that I love. Regardless of how I'm feeling when I wake up, I'm excited to strap shoes on my feet and go to work. Doesn't sound like much of a problem, right? Well over the last few months, some things have transpired in my personal life, and I feel like it may be time for me to give a thru-hike a shot. I'm not running from anything, but I find that a certain level of clairvoyance is found in nature. And that's where I'm stuck. My company is a small yet well paying operation, and I don't really want to just walk away. I'm only 30, so I have many years before waiting till retirement could be a viable option for a thru-hike. My question is this, those of you who have joined the 2,000 mile club, what did you do about work. Did your employer hold your position for you, did you have to quit and find a new job upon return? I have the funds, I have the gear, and I have the want to get to Maine...but I just don't know if I can get the time.

trekrocketboy
03-20-2015, 08:38
I'll be interested to see the responses-same thing for me. They would prob hold my job, but I also know if be putting them at a disadvantage through our busy season (HVAC).

tarditi
03-20-2015, 10:40
Honestly request a sabbatical or unpaid time off to do it.

4eyedbuzzard
03-20-2015, 10:42
. . . I just don't know if I can get the time. Not a 2000 miler - still have some sections from PA and CT to do. But if it makes you feel any better, your problem is pretty much the same as everybody else's problem during their working years. And no one here can predict what your particular employer would do. If you really want to do a thru-hike, why not just explain your desires and ask for a leave of absence?

SteelCut
03-20-2015, 10:52
You don't say anything about your family obligations and financial/debt situation. That would play into any decision that I would make.

I would second the ideas above about asking for a leave of absence from your job. Many here have been surprised by the reactions of their employer when they inquired about such a possibility.

vic_doom69
03-20-2015, 10:56
I got to take a leave of absence in 2010 because things were kinda slow at my work. I want to do the pct in '16 and have asked for time off but may not get it. May have to quit to be able to do it. Waiting on a response from my hr manager right now.

TheHikingDead
03-20-2015, 10:59
You don't say anything about your family obligations and financial/debt situation.

I'm single, and debt free *knocks on wood* so my only hold up is the time off.

brancher
03-20-2015, 11:07
You don't say anything about your family obligations and financial/debt situation. That would play into any decision that I would make.

I would second the ideas above about asking for a leave of absence from your job. Many here have been surprised by the reactions of their employer when they inquired about such a possibility.

Bingo!!

On the other hand, if you are gonna leave your funding source for 6 months, be prepared for more than one possible outcome regardless of any rhetoric. Many hikers here postponed their 'passion' in lieu of providing for family, income, and future - which is why they can hike with abandon now. And I also have met folks who did not place a lot of importance on those things at 25, 30, or 35 -- and can't figure out why they're broke at 60.

You just buy your ticket and once you do, you gotta take your ride....

Just my two cents.....

SteelCut
03-20-2015, 11:08
I'm single, and debt free *knocks on wood* so my only hold up is the time off.

That's a great situation to be in. I would re-iterate the idea of asking for a leave of absence. But I would be firmly decided that you want to do a thru and be ready with a course of action if they don't allow it.

soilman
03-20-2015, 19:38
Right out of college I went SOBO for 1200 miles then got off the trail. When I got home I got my dream job. I wanted to finish the trail the next year so I asked for a leave without pay for 2 months. They gave me one month. I went as far as I could then finished up in the next couple of years doing weekends and a two week vacation. Right after I got off the trail the first time I knew I would go back and do a complete thru, but I knew I would have to wait at least 30 years. 34 years after I started my SOBO I completed a NOBO. I think I made the right decision. I knew the trail would be there in 30 years but had no guarantee I would have a job if I walked away from it. And during my 30 year waiting period I still continued to hike and do volunteer trail work so I was not totally absent from the trail.

Traveler
03-21-2015, 08:02
Bingo!!

On the other hand, if you are gonna leave your funding source for 6 months, be prepared for more than one possible outcome regardless of any rhetoric. Many hikers here postponed their 'passion' in lieu of providing for family, income, and future - which is why they can hike with abandon now. And I also have met folks who did not place a lot of importance on those things at 25, 30, or 35 -- and can't figure out why they're broke at 60.

You just buy your ticket and once you do, you gotta take your ride....

Just my two cents.....

This is very insightful and probably frames the issue in long view better than most any I have seen.

Bronk
03-21-2015, 09:45
Buy a home on a 15 year mortgage by the time you're 25, then pay it off early. Don't borrow any other money for any reason.

Sarcasm the elf
03-21-2015, 10:10
One alternative is to become a section hiker, not the same I know, but still very fulfilling.

If your company is small and treats it's employees well then you might want to talk to your boss or HR person to see if you could negotiate getting extra vacation time (possibly in lieu of an annual raise) that would allow you to get on the trail for 2-3 weeks straight each year.

Having a job that you look forward to working each day is a very rare thing, if I were you I would be very hesitant to leave it.

Second Hand
03-21-2015, 10:44
My advice would be to take 2 weeks off and go down to Georgia in April or May. If after two weeks you can't think of anything else besides a thru, then be ready leave your job and search for new employment.

If after 10 days your sitting in a hotel room nursing your blistered feet and dreading the idea of another cold wet night on the trail, become a section hiker.

Walkintom
03-21-2015, 10:53
If you're going to ask for time off, then be up front about it. If your boss cans you for being up front and honest, it's not a great job anyway. Not every employer can handle giving someone 6 months off and it's a very individualized situation.

If you think that a thruhike is the thing you need in your life then don't ask yourself if you can do it, but rather how you can do it?

MuddyWaters
03-21-2015, 10:53
You cant have it all.

You cant have a good paying secure enjoyable job, and still get 6 mo off per year to go on extended vacations.

Choose whats important to you in life, and go do it . you will never regret following your heart.

Also realize that working, is the act of trading your limited, definite, time on earth, for money. Dont ever get too carried away with it.

Hikers know what the vast majority of people dont. That you can live on povert level support on extended vacations, and have a great time.

nuknees
03-21-2015, 11:16
"...And I also have met folks who did not place a lot of importance on those things at 25, 30, or 35 -- and can't figure out why they're broke at 60..."
This speaks to experience on my part somewhat regretfully to say. Not much I can do about poor choices I made in my youth.

"Having a job that you look forward to working each day is a very rare thing, if I were you I would be very hesitant to leave it..."
If I had this choice to make again, I would heed this advice. Having such a job like this (which I have never been so lucky) is many peoples dream! What's the old saying...having a job you love to go to everyday is like not having to go to work at all.
So I've struggled with jobs all my life. Matter of fact, I find myself out of another one come June. But along the way, I saved what I could and purchased gear all along the way and did sections within my region. Come June I'm going to turn another employment disappointment into an opportunity. I'm going to take a break and do a SoBo. At 57 now, if I don't take this opportunity now - when? I'm in no financial position to retire. Probably won't ever be because I didn't play my cards right. So, right now I feel compelled to do this. Clear my head, regain my lost faith that there are still good people in the world and hopefully make a decision on a direction to take with the rest of my life when I come off the trail.
Do what your heart tells you...be true to thy self...but I wish I had found a job I couldn't wait for morning to come so I could go to work.

Wülfgang
03-21-2015, 12:24
Good, meaningful work is a good thing---indeed a rare and valuable thing to have in life.

But work for work's sake is highly overrated. At the end of the line, we all have to die and a life that was just full of work is really meaningless. You cant take anything with you.

You dont want to be old and broke, but you also dont want to be old and rich and full of regret for having lived a life of only work.

What I'm saying is there is a balance to be struck. This is one of the quintessential concerns of human life---finding meaningful work, providing for yourself and your family, building security---but also having time to build genuine relationships with others and enjoy the pleasures of the natural world.

I think you should honestly ask your boss if you can take an unpaid LOA. If he/she says yes, then I would take their blessing and do it. If they say no, then you have a tougher choice to make. Work for a while longer and maybe let the opportunity pass you by? The trail will still be there in 30 years, but life happens in the meantime. Or quit your job, do the trail, and maybe come back to another dead-end job you hate. That's a *****ty existence, in my opinion. But you'll never know unless you ask.