PDA

View Full Version : 5-7 Day Trip

88BlueGT
03-20-2015, 18:55
Hey all,

I never thought that I would ask for a hike recommendation but here I am :D Looking for a 5-7 day hike (preferably a loop) within 5-6 hours driving distance from NJ. I've hiked all of NJ, most of PA and NY but I'm looking to venture a bit further away from home and see what's out there. This is a hiking/leisure vacation so not looking for anything too strenuous. I'm thinking 10 or so MPD should be easily obtainable. Preferably looking to go down South since I've never done any hiking down there. Trip will be set for October to catch peak foliage. I'm thinking Virginia/WV/MD may have some good options. What do you all think?

Also, were looking to stay somewhere for a few days after to just hang out so if anyone has any recommendations that would be great as well! :banana

THANK YOU!

88BlueGT
03-20-2015, 18:57
Also, I thought that the Shenandoah National Park had some good options to offer but I hear that it gets extremely crowded in peak October. Can anyone confirm this?

shelb
03-21-2015, 01:09
MD or SNP. -
With MD, you could start at Harpers Ferry and hike to Penn Mar, PA (or vice versa). Kind of cool to say you hiked across the state of Maryland.

SNP is great too....

Namtrag
03-21-2015, 09:24
You could go from 60-75 miles north of Damascus Va, and hike south to Damascus, and get to see Grayson Highlands with the ponies and some beautiful scenery. The peak I think would be no later than mid-October, and possibly early October, but someone from that area would know better.

Vthiker77
03-22-2015, 10:32
Northville-placid trail?

88BlueGT
03-23-2015, 09:10
Northville-placid trail?

That was actually supposed to be the trip I was taking this year but decided not to. I usually go to the High Peaks every October but last year it turned into a disaster when I invited some people who weren't exactly prepared for that type of trip. Lesson learned! This year I just thought it would be nice to get back on the AT (haven't been in a while) and do a nice section that I've never done. Good suggestion though! :D

88BlueGT
03-23-2015, 09:14
You could go from 60-75 miles north of Damascus Va, and hike south to Damascus, and get to see Grayson Highlands with the ponies and some beautiful scenery. The peak I think would be no later than mid-October, and possibly early October, but someone from that area would know better.

This is a great suggestion. I'm definitely looking into this.