PDA

View Full Version : Feb. to Mar. 2015 on the AT

hikehunter
03-20-2015, 19:31
I started 13 Feb, 2015. It was a cool and clear day up on Springer Mountain.
It was a nice hike to Hawk Mnt. shelter. When I arrived there were a few hikers there already. One couple had a tent set up inside the shelter that covered almost half the space. I thought that setting up tents inside shelters was a breach of "Trail Rules". It makes it harder on those that do the right thing.
They were very new to the hiking thing. They were in blue jeans and they shared a sleeping bag and used bath towels to add insulation. This may take the HYOH to far in left field.

I set up my hammock, cooked dinner, and got a great night sleep.

I had good hiking to Suches,GA where I had to get off trail for a few days to treat a sinus infection. Enter the big freeze with a strong ice storm.
Got stuck in Gainesville,GA while the roads got cleared of downed trees and the power got back to many places.

Got back going in the ice....glad I had the micro spikes. Stopped for the night at Wood Hole shelter for the night. I was alone till about 6pm when the tent people showed up.
I had tried to set up my hammock,however, the trees had ice all over them and the straps kept sliding down. I had gone to the shelter that I thought I was going to have all to myself. The tent people set their tent up in the shelter like they did at Hawk. This time they started a fire in the shelter less that 2 feet from the sleeping deck.
I was not happy. If he would have burned down the shelter I would most likely "beat him with a wet noodle"

The next morning was very cold...I did not want to get out of bed. My watch showed it was neg. 6 degrees at 6am.
I forced myself up and out. I was going to get to Neel gap!

It had snowed almost 6 inches over night and it was a little tough going. The blazes were hard to see at best. I took the "Freeman" trail around Blood as it was icy!!!

I had a hard time seeing the blue blazes and the trail at times.

I got to Neel Gap about 3pm. Mountain Crossings was a great place. Spent a few days there as the temp never got over 16 deg till the 3rd day.

I joined "Seneca" "Walk it Off" . and "Trail-blazier" to hike to Haiawasse.

The hike improved greatly by hiking with people that knew what they were doing and had the right equipment.

I have posted videos on "Youtube" look for : Hikehunter on the AT

I plan to do another section in the early fall 2015. I have a total of 328 miles of the AT done. More to come.:dance

hikehunter
03-31-2015, 23:03
:eek::eek::datzmore than 300 folks have looked at this and no one wants to know any details?????????????

Yes, this site has go to the dogs............

I had people on the trail tell me that white blaze was crap.....I did not want to think they were correct..................I THINK THEY MAY BE RIGHT !!!!

CyborgAT
03-31-2015, 23:10
Just subscribed on YouTube!

Tabasco
03-31-2015, 23:17
You pretty much covered the details.

1) it was cold.
2) there are new inexperienced hikers out there that do inappropriate things.
3) it's icy in north GA in February
4) great people make for a great hike.
5) Mountain Crossings is a wonderful place.

Did I miss anything?

Tabasco
03-31-2015, 23:17

1) it was cold.

Did I miss anything?

The Cleaner
03-31-2015, 23:41

1) it was cold.

Did I miss anything? Not much, that about hits the nail on the head....

Tipi Walter
04-01-2015, 00:24
Can't get emotional about some idiots setting up their tent inside a shelter as shelters are rat boxes and there are a hundred campsites north and south of each shelter. Just get water at the shelter and move on to a next level spot.

MichaelRedBeard
04-09-2015, 11:11
I was not happy. If he would have burned down the shelter I would most likely "beat him with a wet noodle"

If you were not happy, you should have cited the rules in a humble manner and expressed your thoughts as best as you could with explanation. Not doing so taught them nothing, it left you frustrated, and it led us to having to listen to a b!tch fest.

1) it was cold.

Did I miss anything?

Tabasco can you reiterate all post on this site in a summarized form like you did for this one. I'm loving it. Ha Ha Ha

Can't get emotional about some idiots setting up their tent inside a shelter as shelters are rat boxes and there are a hundred campsites north and south of each shelter. Just get water at the shelter and move on to a next level spot.

Who are you to say he can't get emotional about some idiots. He has the right to feel as he may. Frustration is a natural reaction to experience when someone in your presence is breaking the rules or doing wrong. To extinguish such thoughts would cause one to withdrawal from from the apparent and obvious. Such feelings need to be communicated. Otherwise, it is like I said above: "Not doing so taught them nothing, it left you frustrated, and it led us to having to listen to a b!tch fest." Again, I say let wrong frustrate you (it should, an any man that it does not is probably evil or wrong himself), but handle yourself in a way that does not express your frustration...speak to such people in a causal and friendly way. That's the Holy Spirit talking to you right there brother...don't pent up your anger or release it...absorb it and carry on with sharing what is on your mind with people that might be not be aware of the rules (mostly not aware with the way you described their method of camping...speaking of which...why not take the moment to share some knowledge about your camping and hiking experiences so that their lives may be made easier on the trail. You were so preoccupied with being frustrated with them that you missed out on a wonderful opportunity to enlighten them about so much.