PDA

View Full Version : Where should we start???

cheese!
03-20-2015, 19:33
My husband and I plan on thru hiking the AT, but we can't really decide on where to begin. We've narrowed it down to two options:

1.) Starting in Maine in mid July, heading SOBO. However, this would involve us needing to take a bus from CT to Maine.

OR

2.) Starting in Connecticut in mid July, heading SOBO then heading back up from Georgia. This would involve us reaching Georgia, visiting with family in Florida for maybe a month, resupplying, etc. We would then head back (starting in GA) and going to Maine to complete the hike.

Which one would be the better (safer) option?

Some things to take into consideration: weather, wildlife activity, busyness of trail, etc.

BirdBrain
03-20-2015, 19:51
If I understand your schedule, option 2 would not allow enough time to get to Baxter before it closes. Option 1 would work, but depending on how you enter the park, you would need a permit. Those need to be purchased well in advance.

squeezebox
03-20-2015, 20:06
You might consider doing a section or 2 this summer, get some experience & strength, and then do a thru next year.

Sarcasm the elf
03-20-2015, 20:31
Keep in mind that the trail up Mt. Katahdin in Maine, which is the Northern Terminus of the A.T. is shut down for the season in mid October, or earlier depending on the severity of the weather. It does not open back up for normal hiking until Mid May at the earliest.

Slo-go'en
03-20-2015, 21:12
Given the nature of your questions to date, DO NOT start at Katahdin. The 100 mile wilderness will chew you up and spit you out, like it does to nearly 25% of those who start a SOBO.

Given your mild July start, going NOBO from CT would seem to me to be the best plan. You start out reasonably easy and close to home. Then when you get to Kathadin you can decide to flip back to CT and go south, flip farther south (like central Virginia - a better plan if you want to avoid winter weather) or say "far enough" and go home.

peakbagger
03-21-2015, 06:09
Option 3, head north out of CT to Katahdin, take a bus to Portland and then Amtrak to CT and head south.

Starchild
03-21-2015, 06:45
Another vote for option 3, CT NoBo to Katahdin, then make a plan - note you will be in the bubble, however it will be much smaller and more geared towards hiking big miles.

If I read your post your option 2 would involve hiking both directions from CT to GA and back to CT, If so I would rule out this yoyo, just concentrate on the completion of the trail.

Comment about the permit for Katahdin - you can do without it by either hitching or shuttling from Baxter Park into Millanocket for the night.