PDA

View Full Version : Data package or buy prepaid phone with data

Mulungu
03-21-2015, 08:04
Hi all. We are from South Africa. I want to stay connected while we hike the trail and to switch on my data roaming is not an option.

so do I buy prepaid data and swop SIM cards (iphone5s) or do I buy a prepaid package with a reasonable smart phone.

Slo-go'en
03-21-2015, 12:08
While not as fancy as your iPhone, you can buy an inexpensive Android phone and monthly data plans which seem to run about $50 a month. Depending on the phone, they can be had for as little as $20.

I have no idea what it would cost to make your phone work here.

Mulungu
03-21-2015, 16:40
Thank you for the info.
wont be able to do a monthly contract.
Will gave to look at a prepaid data package with a top up option

LAF
03-21-2015, 16:49
Thank you for the info.
wont be able to do a monthly contract.
Will gave to look at a prepaid data package with a top up option

AT&T doesn't have as strong a service as Verizon does in the south but it's acceptable and they allow you to purchase a prepay SIM card that you can use in your iPhone. This is what I am doing as I am coming from the Cayman Islands.

bigcranky
03-21-2015, 17:01
Do you already own a smartphone with a GSM sim card? The best option is to buy a prepaid sim card at Walmart with AT&T service, using their Straight Talk service. Prepaid is $45/month for unlimited talk, text, and data. They will also sell you a reasonably inexpensive Android phone if you need it.

The AT&T service is pretty good along the trail. T Mobile is not at all good, nor is Sprint (both have good service in urban areas, in our experience, but not on the trail.) Make sure you get the right sim card :)

Mulungu
03-23-2015, 16:01
Thank you for the advice. Seems like a good option. I will look at Walmart and see what I can do online thanks