PDA

View Full Version : Standing atop Mt Katahdin

Christoph
03-21-2015, 08:47
So you made it. You finally made it all the way to that beautiful sign at the top. Tears are shed (hopefully that'll be me this year), bones are sore, and you're mentally drained from hiking 2189-ish miles. Do or did you head back down the Hunt Trail, continue on the Knife Edge, or another trail? What would you recommend assuming you made it that far or those of you that have made it that far including those that have section hiked some of those trails?

4shot
03-21-2015, 09:23
It was a mixture of sleet and snow (mid-September) going up that hill. My pack was at the bottom of course. Forgot my rain pants and I was soaked halfway up. Never been so miserable and cold my entire life. I got the picture and just got the heck back down ASAP. Sorry, not much help. Just saying your options may restricted by weather conditions. I see the summit photos with people in shorts, clear blue skies, champagne, etc. and feel just a bit jealous. I was happier at the bottom of K than I was on top.

BirdBrain
03-21-2015, 10:21
I highly recommend turning left on top of Katahdin instead of right. The Knife Edge is a wonder. However, the views from Hamlin are awesome. If time allowed and you could catch a ride back to KSC, I would go across the Saddle, over Hamlin, down to the Cutoff Trail, into Chimney Pond, and out to Roaring Brook. That is the way I started south, except I did it in reverse. This is assuming you have the time and ability to get back to where you slept the night before.

And drop the "Mt" from Katahdin. I know it is a losing battle. Even the park and the Maine government make that mistake a ton. However, including Mount is to say "Mount Greatest Mountain".

Christoph
03-21-2015, 14:52
I could care less about technicalities, so whatever.
I know weather will be a major factor up there but I hear so much about the Approach Trail (should I or shouldn't I) and that got me thinking about the Northern end. I'm thinking hiking the Knife Edge but didn't know if there was any others that were recommended. ??

BirdBrain
03-21-2015, 15:31
I guess I should have not cared to give first hand advice.

I see no call to be snippy.... whatever.

Enjoy your hike.

DavidNH
03-21-2015, 17:11
I headed right back down the hunt trail. That's easiest way off the mountain. that's what I'd suggest.

egilbe
03-21-2015, 21:43
Last time I did Katahdin, climbed Hunt trail and then went down the Saddle trail. This year, headed up Hamlin and, maybe, down Hunt. I was told that Saddle was the easiest trail up and down, but I'm not sure any of them are easy. If Abol trail is opened up then, that is shorter, but sandier, trip down to the Tote Rd and its a quick two mile walk back to KSC.

BirdBrain
03-21-2015, 22:36
Last time I did Katahdin, climbed Hunt trail and then went down the Saddle trail. This year, headed up Hamlin and, maybe, down Hunt. I was told that Saddle was the easiest trail up and down, but I'm not sure any of them are easy. If Abol trail is opened up then, that is shorter, but sandier, trip down to the Tote Rd and its a quick two mile walk back to KSC.

I studied very possible route over Baxter Peak for about a year. I have OCD bad. There are so many facets to that hill. It is hard to go wrong no matter which route you choose. However, I believe the route I described above squeezes the most out of a walk over Katahdin. Up the Hunt and down again is 10.4 miles. Going into Chimney Pond from Roaring Brook and over Baxter via Hamlin is less than 4 miles longer. You won't regret it.

peakbagger
03-22-2015, 08:09
With Abol trail closed for at least a large portion this year the options are bit fewer. If its clear and not windy, its hard to beat the Knife Edge trail and just as spectacular is the Helon Taylor trail that runs from the end of the knifes edge to roaring brook. Although everything is relative, it is has a far longer above treeline stretch than the Hunt trail and doesn't have the steep boulder patch that the Hunt Trail does. I have carried a backpack pack across the knifes edge twice, its not an issue except for one spot where its worth taking off and dropping it down past a tight spot near the chimney. For those uncomfortable with the exposure of Knifes edge, Hamlin Ridge Trail is a nice alternative. It not readily apparent but it runs along a ridge between the Chimney basin and the north basin. The ridge is a bit wider so the exposure is somewhat less than the knifes edge.

The other three options to Roaring Brook have their limitations. The Saddle trail is a great escape route it bad weather comes in but its an old slide and the footing is poor. Its gets lot of traffic and rock fall from other parties upslope is an issue. Once you get in the woods its a long boring woods walk out. Cathedral Trail is not recommended for going down. Its not technical but its heck of a lot easier to go up then down. Dudley trail from Pamola to Chimney Pond is one big boulder hop from top to bottom. Much of its is like the steep boulder section of the Hunt Trail. It does have great views in Chinmey Basin but the Hamline Ridge trail have about the same.

Logistically, its very likely you can hitch a ride back to the Togue Pond Gate from Roaring Brook and most likely to Millinocket. The Roaring Brook road is a dead end and anyone driving it has to go by Togue Pond and 95% of the folks are driving back through Millinocket. Even if they aren't they can drop you off at Togue Pond gate and 99% of the folks are heading back through Millinocket. I do not believe the AT lodge shuttle runs to Roaring Brook. If you want to head back to Katahdin stream it will most require getting a different hitch at Togue Pond. There are plenty of day hikers and campers on the park roads and between the Togue Pond Gate and Millinocket. The only thing you need to keep in mind is that this traffic drops substantially in the evening. If you want to watch sunset from the summit and expect to get a ride from Roaring brook after dark or book a last minute camping spot at Roaring Brook, you could become one of the problem through hikers that the BSP staff complain about. If you time your hike to make it down with the day hikers, there are about 40 day hikers cars that will be driving back to Millinocket.

Of course, you can always head over to Katahdin Lake and hook up with the IAT ;)

Google earth is great for vicarious planning

Fredt4
03-22-2015, 12:36
I went up Katadin on a overcast rainy day. There were no day hikers or much of any traffic (3 cars) at the end of the day. Was planning on camping at the shelter when I finally got a ride from the third car after a 2-3 hour wait. Did get a nice video of me dancing atop Katadin. Well worth the thru-hike.

Christoph
03-22-2015, 14:52
Sorry BirdBrain, didn't mean that to come across as rude as it did.
Thanks for the advice and I think I'm planning on the Knife Edge, provided the weather is right. If not, I'll look into the Chimney Pond route. Time shouldn't be too much of a worry at that point so even if it means an extra day, that's fine.

BirdBrain
03-22-2015, 15:00
That is a good plan. If the weather is bad or the wind is too much for the Knife Edge, the Saddle Trail is the easiest way to the pond and eventually out to Roaring Brook. The Knife Edge is a huge attraction. I understand your desire.

egilbe
03-22-2015, 20:00
Sorry BirdBrain, didn't mean that to come across as rude as it did.
Thanks for the advice and I think I'm planning on the Knife Edge, provided the weather is right. If not, I'll look into the Chimney Pond route. Time shouldn't be too much of a worry at that point so even if it means an extra day, that's fine.
Baxter has reserved camping spots. Make sure you plan an extra day into your itinerary, otherwise, you will have to sleep in your car outside the gates. I usually plan an extra day or two to do what I want to do, then if I have extra time, I do some other trail in the park. Last year, the weekend was planned, and then Hurricane Arthur hit the day we planned to hike. The day we planned to leave was a bluebird kinda day, so we parked in the day use parking lot and climbed Owl Mountain. It wasn't Katahdin, but it was still a beautiful hike.

TJ aka Teej
03-25-2015, 10:27
The majority of finishing northbounders come back down the Hunt after standing atop Katahdin.