PDA

View Full Version : What trail did you decend Katahdin on your thru / section hike?

rickb
11-05-2005, 13:13
The famous sign on Katahdin is at Baxter Peak. After reaching it on your thru hike or section hike, how did you get off the mountain?

If you thru hiked /section hiked more than once, indicate which route you took on your first trip.

weary
11-05-2005, 16:58
The famous sign on Katahdin is at Baxter Peak. After reaching it on your thru hike or section hike, how did you get off the mountain?

If you thru hiked /section hiked more than once, indicate which route you took on your first trip.

On that first "section" I came down the Saddle Trail. On subsequent trips I've exited Katahdin via the Hunt Trail, Abol Trail, Hamlin Ridge, Dudley, Knife Edge, Helon Taylor, The Saddle, the Cathedral, The Chimney and once via an unnamed winter "bush whack" route.

Knees
11-06-2005, 11:28
On my thru this year, I ended up going down the Saddle Trail. I had planned to go back down the Hunt Trail, but a better ride (all the way to the Portland Jetport) materialized on the summit of Katahdin.

Chickety
11-06-2005, 15:18
Abol Slide because a great friend of ours and his 10 yr old daughter suprised us on the summit and that is where his vehicle was parked!
I had never been up or down that "trail" before! I thought, how hard could it be if a 10 yr old just came up it??! ha ha ha!!

fiddlehead
11-06-2005, 23:21
3 of the above options

MedicineMan
11-07-2005, 04:12
and would do it again.

JojoSmiley
11-07-2005, 11:17
First two times the Hunt. My third I went down the cathedral and on a couple other summits I went down the Knife edge then the Haylon Taylor, came up I believe Dwight, rocky trail up thru the Knife's edge to the summit and back down the cathedral. Fun and challenging each time.

Cuppa Joe
11-09-2005, 04:08
When Tink, Touk, Gypsy, Mouth and I summitted this year it was a perfect day. We had a arranged for a ride to meet us in the campgrond on the Knife's Edge side so we had planned to hike it down.

What an awesome way to end the thru thike! That was a hell of a lot of fun and we were glad we did it. I will say that there is no way I would do that in any type of bad weather! Knife's Edge is a fair weather trail in my opinion!

Mouth
11-09-2005, 14:31
Knife's Edge all the way, like Cuppa said, it was super fun.

Jaybird
11-09-2005, 15:38
i look foward to the day i have to make that choice!:)

Kozmic Zian
11-09-2005, 17:43
Yea, Katahdin Trail....

Went up the Hunt in Sunlight, beautiful day....went down Hunt in a mailstrom....Katahdin, tough and unpridictable just like the whole Trail, all the way till the end.

Footslogger
11-09-2005, 18:04
Have summitted Katahdin twice and both times I went up and down the Hunt Trail from the Katahdin Stream Campground area.

'Slogger