PDA

View Full Version : Water availability in late August near Buchanan section?

DooDa
03-22-2015, 22:33
I'm planning a 5-day section hike Snowden to Daleville, VA near the end of August. Anyone have experience with that section and know if there will be water in the streams and at the shelters?

Southerner
03-23-2015, 20:36
Naturally, the answer to your question depends greatly on whether we have a wet or dry summer. Here's my recollection of the water sources:

Matts Creek Shelter -- The creek can run low, but I have never seen it dry.
Marble Spring -- I suspect would run dry during modest drought.
Thunder Hill Shelter -- Spring at the shelter tends to run dry during dry periods. Luckily, the spring at the Parkway crossing trail-south of the shelter is more reliable and larger
Apple Orchard Falls -- The AT is about 1.5 miles from the falls, but if things get really dry, this would be a potential water source for you (and a good side trip, although the falls wouldn't be impressive with dry weather).
Cornelius Creek Shelter -- Not actually near a creek. The spring tends to run dry in dry weather.
Bryants Ridge Shelter -- The spring and small creek here can run dry during modest drought. But, if you go downstream, you would likely find water at some point, and would certainly find water at North Creek (about 3/4 of a mile from the shelter).
Jennings Creek -- Never runs dry as it is a large stream (large enough to swim at Panther Ford / Va. 614 AT crossing)
Cove Mountain Shelter -- No water source
Va. 43 -- The small spring immediately trail-south of the road runs dry even in slight drought.
Pond on Chair Rock Ridge -- Not potable water in any season
Bobbletts Gap Shelter -- Spring will run dry in modest drought
Wilson Creek Shelter -- Another shelter with creek in the name not particularly close to said creek (the old shelter was, though). The water trail leads 0.25 miles to a branch of the creek that will go dry in slight drought. The creek crossing 0.7 miles trail-south of the shelter is more reliable, but will also run dry in modest drought. Luckily you should be able to find water except in extreme drought by following the stream. I have never seen Wilson Creek bone dry, although sometimes it is more like puddles connected by minimal water flow.
Curry Creek -- As the drainage of a major gap, you should have water except in extreme drought.
Salt Pond -- Not potable water
Fullhardt Knob Shelter -- No natural water source, but there is cistern using the shelter roof. The cistern runs dry quickly, and even when there is water, the cistern is hard to use. You could find water by taking the old AT (still well used) into the immediate hollow, but that drainage also runs dry and would be a tough / extremely steep return trip.

Hope this helps. While water is not usually problem, it is good to be prepared. Feel free to PM if you have questions about the area.

CalebJ
03-23-2015, 22:10
Joe, your ability to catalog this stuff in your mind always blows me away. Impressive.

DooDa
03-23-2015, 22:43
Wow! Thanks Southerner (Joe). Great info - I feel much more prepared to be well prepared.

Deer Hunter
03-23-2015, 22:56
I would say southerner summed it up pretty good in his post. If needed, I would be glad to stash some water/Gatorade or whatever for you near the Petites Gap/Thunder Hill area. PM me when your time gets close. We can decide a course of action then if one is needed.