PDA

View Full Version : Is it that bad on the AT?

NemOofthewest
03-23-2015, 17:34
So I plan on spending a couple months on the trail and I have a few questions...

1. Are periods huge pain when backpacking?
2. Were there any times you didn't feel safe being a woman hiking?
3. Would it be better to go with a male companion or female?
4. what are the biggest clothing problems?

DLP
03-23-2015, 17:41
I will refer you to The Trail Show Podcast, Red Tent edition. Will answer all your questions in graphic detail. Excellent info. Only $.99
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/thetrailshow5

Spirit Walker
03-23-2015, 22:09
I thruhiked the AT twice as a single female. Hiked alone the first time, started alone the second time, four years later, then hiked with my now husband from Virginia north. I never felt in danger on either hike or when backpacking alone before my thruhikes. I was in my 30s. Most of the younger women hiked with partners, either male or female, and some changed partners along the way. A partner isn't necessary and can complicate your hike if you aren't truly compatible. It's hard to spend that much time with someone who isn't family or emotionally close. I've seen a lot of pre-trail partners break up after a few weeks or months on the trail.

If you do start with a partner, be self-sufficient so you can camp alone if necessary and aren't dependent on the other person for gear or anything else. I.e. what happens if you split up but all your mail drops are for two people? Or you only have a 5 pound two-person tent? If you have a partner, plan ahead of time what you want out of your hike and what kind of hike you want - i.e. how much town time , sleeping in shelters or not, early starts or hike late in the day, how many hours a day you want to be hiking, leisurely or in a hurry, how you'll handle weather, what you'll do if one is injured or gets bored, how much money you want to spend, etc. Or just start alone, and find someone whose hiking style matches yours and whom you find interesting to talk to. Hikers generally look out for each other. If you want to be alone, then be careful, but you'll be safer on the trail than in any city off trail.

Lots of ways of dealing with periods. There are probably at least 50 threads on the subject here at whiteblaze. I used tampons. No big deal. Pack them out. My body usually just shut down when I was hiking or under stress, so in a six month hike I'd only bleed for two or three months, if that. Later, when I did the PCT and CDT I'd bleed even less. I don't know how common that is.

Clothing isn't a big deal. Use what you have. Or not. I had absolutely the 'wrong' clothes for my AT hikes (cotton and more cotton) but it made absolutely no difference. I got more tech clothes for my later long hikes, and they didn't make my hikes any better. They just dried faster when they got wet. Clothes just aren't that important. As long as you have something to put on to get warm when you're cold and wet, you'll likely survive. Everything else is just personal preference.

shelb
03-24-2015, 23:54
My friend tried the Diva Cup for hiking while on her period. She now uses it every month on the job (teacher). She likes it so much, she plans to introduce her daughter to it when she comes of age (currently 5 years old). She states it is not only cheaper, but it is also easier and less likely to leak than traditional methods (pads/tampons).

Hiker Faith
04-01-2015, 23:56
I've been a solo female hiker for about 10 years, mainly on the AT (my friends and family think I'm INSANE for wanting to "pee in the woods, sleep with bunch of weirdos, eat sticks and dirt and, oh my gosh, you don't even get to bathe! Wouldn't you rather go on a cruise or something?") I have never had a problem on the trail. Hikers are really good at watching out for each other and there are plenty of other women on the trail. I carry a tent so that if I ever feel uncomfortable at a shelter, I have the option to move on (never had to do it, though) and also because some times I just need a little more privacy so I can change clothes or take a sponge bath or take care of other female necessities. I use a Diva cup, it works great. I carry a small bottle of shampoo so I can wash my hair, soap and a wash cloth for bathing, a towel, and, yes, deodorant. When I bought the camp towel, the male cashier at the outfitter thought I was crazy, but "I guess women have different needs than men on the trail," he said. Darn tootin! I would not choose to start with a hiking partner - I've seen a lot of relationships falls apart on the trail. But I have always found great hiking buddies along the way who hike my speed and appreciate my sense of humor.

Spirit Walker
04-02-2015, 22:59
If you use soap, please be sure to bathe at least 200 feet away from any water source. Even biodegradable soap takes months or sometimes years to biodegrade. Everyone downstream is drinking that water. Taking your water, biodegradable soap and a kerchief into the woods out of sight of the shelter and the trail works well. Never bathe in the creek or a lake with soap or shampoo.

lush242000
04-03-2015, 07:51
I will refer you to The Trail Show Podcast, Red Tent edition. Will answer all your questions in graphic detail. Excellent info. Only $.99
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/thetrailshow5

More like I will try to sell you something you don't need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JumpMaster Blaster
04-03-2015, 19:16
So I plan on spending a couple months on the trail and I have a few questions...

1. Are periods huge pain when backpacking?
2. Were there any times you didn't feel safe being a woman hiking?
3. Would it be better to go with a male companion or female?
4. what are the biggest clothing problems?

1. No. In my experience exercising actually eases the physical pain (cramps), and more specifically, pack your hygeine items out with you. Maybe get a separate bag for it. Trash is trash. You just have to be a little more creative & discreet.
2. No. Trust your instincts- if a situation rubs you the wrong way, remove yourself from it. Most hikers are great people and will make you feel comfortable & welcome. Don't be paranoid to the point where you won't strike up a convo with anyone you see. Chances are, they're cool.
3. Go with whoever you're comfortable around, and if you can't find anyone to go with, go solo!
4. For me the biggest clothing problem is the cut & fit of women's clothes- farr too tight/short/skinny for me. 99% of my hiking clothes are mens clothes. I don't like tight fitting clothes that bind- I want to be loose & free. PLUS, you run the risk of a yeast infection or other irritation if you hike & sweat constantly in tight clothing. Air the lady parts out as much as you can!