PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed!!!

One Leg
11-05-2005, 19:45
I figure that among our ranks, there has to be someone who's literate when it comes to electronical gadgets; specifically, SD cards for Digital Cameras.

I have a Kodak SD Card 128mb card that I am unable to retrieve the photos from. I've installed it into a couple of cameras, as well as trying the electronic card reader at CVS, but none seem to be able to retrieve the data. Numerous times, the card's asked to be reformatted, which I have NOT done. This card represents the first half of my hike, and is very important to me. Is there anyone out there who knows of a way, knows of a company, or knows of an individual who might be able to assist me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Scott

Shutterbug
11-05-2005, 19:56
I had a similar thing happen several times. Every time but one, I have been able to fix the problem with this solution:

Put the SD card in a card reader connected to a computer with Windows XP software. The computer should recognize the card as if it were a disk drive.

From the Desktop, click on "My Computer"
Right Click on the disk drive icon that represents the SD card
Click on "Properties"
Click on "Tools"
In the box titled "Error-checking", click on "check now"

This should fix the error that is preventing you from accessing the card. It is possible that you will lose some pictures, but you should save most of them.

rocket04
11-05-2005, 19:59
Worse case, if you can't get it working with the method suggested above, you can look into a data recovery company. A quick search got me to http://www.disklabs.com/ , although I think that one may be UK-based. No idea what the costs are, but it may be worth paying for given how important the pics are to you. Anyway, hopefully it won't come to that and Shutterbug's tip will be all you need. Good luck!

One Leg
11-05-2005, 20:04
I don't have a card reader on my home PC, nor am I operating WinXP........Still using the archaeic version of 98.........

Somehow, I'll find a way to retrieve these pics...... They mean the world to me, and I'd give anything within my means in order to retrieve them.

Thanks for the advise so far.

-Scott

The Old Fhart
11-05-2005, 20:24
This may or may not help but.... Norton Utilities has a program called "Norton Disk Doctor". It can correct some problems if they were caused by inadvertently removing the card during a write cycle thereby corrupting some file or header data, or other soft errors. It can also correct some hard errors like bad bits (as opposed to Monty Python's "Naughty Bits":D).

There is a real possibility that you might lose some/all of the data. If you're not comfortable with trying this program on your own, go to a computer geek or computer repair shop and explain the importance of the situation and see if they can do anything. SD and other memory cards are viewed by a computer as mass storage devices (like a hard drive) and it doesn't matter if you use the card in a GPS, camera, or PDA. These folks are used to situations like this and would probably be your best bet. Good luck!

Roland
11-05-2005, 20:29
I don't have a card reader on my home PC, nor am I operating WinXP........Still using the archaeic version of 98.........

Somehow, I'll find a way to retrieve these pics...... They mean the world to me, and I'd give anything within my means in order to retrieve them.

Thanks for the advise so far.

-Scott
Scott,

I would be happy to burn whatever images are retrievable from your SD card, to a CD.

Jaybird
11-05-2005, 20:40
I have a Kodak SD Card 128mb card that I am unable to retrieve the photos from. I've installed it into a couple of cameras, as well as trying the electronic card reader at CVS, but none seem to be able to retrieve the data. Numerous times, the card's asked to be reformatted,............etcetcetc...........-Scott

ONELEG: Sounds like the SD CARD been damaged somewhere along your journey. Dont know about repairs. maybe take it to a camera shop.
talk soon:D

Uncle Silly
11-05-2005, 20:57

you probably don't need WinXP, and likely your camera can operate as the card reader. plug it in, ignore the camera software, and see if you have a new drive letter listed in "My Computer" -- like D:, E:, X:, whatever. the old Win98 utility to run is called "Scandisk", and if you can't get to it from the "Properties" of the drive, it'll be in Start -> Programs -> Accessories (maybe under a System Tools folder?). that may help.

rocket04 is correct about the worst-case scenario: a disk-recovery company has the equipment and expertise to assist you, but they are not cheap.*

Clark Fork
11-05-2005, 22:58
I figure that among our ranks, there has to be someone who's literate when it comes to electronical gadgets; specifically, SD cards for Digital Cameras.

I have a Kodak SD Card 128mb card that I am unable to retrieve the photos from. I've installed it into a couple of cameras, as well as trying the electronic card reader at CVS, but none seem to be able to retrieve the data. Numerous times, the card's asked to be reformatted, which I have NOT done. This card represents the first half of my hike, and is very important to me. Is there anyone out there who knows of a way, knows of a company, or knows of an individual who might be able to assist me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Scott

Try this program. You can download a trial version to see if it works. I use this program if I accidently format my card and then find I had a picture I wanted off the card. It is a remarkable program.

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

Good luck,

Clark Fork in Western Montana "Where seldom is heard a discouraging word."

One Leg
11-06-2005, 08:54
I've tried to access these photos till I'm blue in the face. I've tried all the advice given here, and am greatly appreciative for your willingness to help out.

I think I'm going to attempt to locate a reputable data recovery company and see if they can do anything with it. (Anyone know of any?)

I think the last time I checked into this option, I was quoted around $100, which is steep IMO, but worth being able to rescue some irreplacable photos. (Heck, at this point in time, I don't even remember what's on the card, I just remember that they were worth my taking the time to snap a photo.)

-Scott

saimyoji
11-06-2005, 11:09
Maybe you'll just have to retrace your steps and take those photos again! :sun

Freighttrain
11-06-2005, 11:43
do a google search on "data recovery" comes back with 97,700,000 items

PKH
11-06-2005, 20:28
I wonder - did you format the card before you first used it?

PKH

trailtrack21
11-06-2005, 22:50
i don't think an SD should still be reformatted. once you get a hold of it, you can use it at once. maybe the SD wasn't inserted the proper way during the time you used it. coz it's not possible to happen that way. or if you inserted it the right way, maybe your SD is damaged coz you said that you already tried it on several devices. better go to the place where you purchased your digicam. and better replace it with a new one... hope there would still be a possibility to retrieve the photos you've taken. goodluck.