PDA

View Full Version : Footprint vs Tyvex

Many Moons
03-23-2015, 20:20
Hey and thoughts????????? I have been using Tyvex on my AT hikes. Stepped up my game this year with a better tent-Copper Sur 2. Should I keep using Tyvex footprint or buy one made for this tent??? Are the bought ones as tough as tyvex???? My Tyvex looks like it only weights 1oz. more than a new bought one according to REI specs. What are advantages of a matching footprint???????

Hike On!!!!!!!

Miller

Walkintom
03-23-2015, 21:30
Tyvek is fine. The footprint sold for your tent may fit under it a little better and will be slightly easier to pack away in the morning.

That's about it.

TheCheek
03-23-2015, 21:33
Tyvek just as good, happy trails.

Slo-go'en
03-23-2015, 21:35
The only advantage of the footprint is that it clips into the ends of the poles and therefore stays in place. It's also sized properly and moves with the tent if you want to tweak how the tent sits. You can also use it as an emergency tarp. Of course, you could add grommets to the corners of a sheet of Tyvek and have the same thing for a fraction of the cost and the Tyvek might be more durable too.

Maui Rhino
03-24-2015, 02:53
2mil painters plastic drop cloth cut to fit.... Cheap and lighter than both tyvek and the OEM ground cloth.

MuddyWaters
03-24-2015, 04:00
Use 3x7 tyvek under you in shelters. Use it under your tent if you like. Not necessary though.

brancher
03-24-2015, 06:47
Tyvek or something similar. The only advantage to footprints IMO is that you can use them as part of a 'fastpak' shelter - that is, use only the footprint and fly for your shelter. Tyvek works well, is light, and lasts. I have also used a silnylon poncho as a ground cloth (dual use item).

garlic08
03-24-2015, 09:28
Would you consider nothing at all? The maker of my tent (Tarptent) says in their website that they virtually never see floor damage on tents shipped back for repair, so they don't even recommend one. I recently retired a tent with hundreds of trail nights, many in desert and rocky tundra, including thru-hikes of the AT, the CDT, and the AZT. It had failing guy lines and zipper, but the floor was still perfect despite never having used a ground cloth. To me, a drop cloth is just one more wet thing to pack up in the morning and try to dry during the day. You might have a cleaner tent, but you have dirty drop cloth to pack instead. And when I'm cowboy camping or in a shelter, I use the tent as the ground cloth.

Sorry if this is drifting from your thread.

Namtrag
03-24-2015, 10:58
A ground cloth may not be needed, but I just sleep better knowing I have one! Irrational, at best, but that's what I do!

squeezebox
03-24-2015, 11:29
I tied a short cord loop at each corner of my Tyvek, it does the same thing as the grommets on the ground sheet. I got my Tyvek free. So how much does 4 ft of Tyvek cost? Ground sheet would be better if it doesn't cost much more.

CarlZ993
03-24-2015, 13:52
I've almost always used the footprint. A Big Agnes rep showed me a cool way to setup or take down a tent in the rain w/o getting the main tent body soaking wet.

Setup in the rain: Have the tent body in the provided stuff sack inside your pack (trash compactor-lined). Have the footprint, tent fly, and tent poles/stakes in your pack but not inside your lined, waterproof compartment. First, set up your tent poles & set them aside. Quickly set down your footprint & then the poles & the tent fly over it. Stake out the footprint. Insert the pole in the grommets of the groundsheet. Clip the four corners of the tent fly to the footprint. Stake out the door(s) & sides of the fly. Unzip the door and enter inside. After closing the door, you are in an rain-free zone. Take your tent body out of the stuff sack. From the inside, attach the tent body to the tent poles (can be a little tricky at first). Other than a little moisture on the outside floor of the tent body, your tent should be completely dry.

Take down in the rain: Simply reverse the process. Your stuff should stay dry.

glenlawson
03-27-2015, 15:11
I use tyvek. it is highly effective and doesn't cost much (under $10). Footprints might be easier to use, but they generally cost $30 to $40 and the ones for my tent are heavier.

colorado_rob
03-27-2015, 16:46
Both are too heavy. If you insist on using one at all, get a Gossamer Gear Polycro sheet, two pack for 12 bucks, then cut to size (I think they come 3'x8'). Half the weight of Tyvek.

http://gossamergear.com/polycryo-ground-cloth-medium.html

colorado_rob
03-27-2015, 16:47
Both are too heavy. If you insist on using one at all, get a Gossamer Gear Polycro sheet, two pack for 12 bucks, then cut to size (I think they come 3'x8'). Half the weight of Tyvek.

http://gossamergear.com/polycryo-ground-cloth-medium.htmlsorry, I meant 10 bucks....

Jedeye
04-05-2015, 20:26
I think it depends on a few factors. Do you plan to camp exclusively in your tent, or will you ever spend time in shelters. Are you out for just a few nights or a few months? If there is a chance I will end up in a shelter, or only use my tent a few times then I would ditch the tyvek and the footprint - tents can hold up pretty well on their own for short trips - and it's pretty easy to patch some silnylon with a patch kit. However if I'm going to be using the tent every night for a month or two then I would consider bringing something, but even then I would go with minimal protection. Careful selection and clearing of the setup area will go a long way.