PDA

View Full Version : Snow Peak Stove

MichaelRedBeard
03-23-2015, 20:36
I intend to begin thru hiking the AT on or around April 15th. I have a Snow Peak Stove...is getting fuel for it at towns going to be difficult while I am on the trail. I'd prefer not to buy a new stove and use my Snow Peak if possible. Thoughts?

Walkintom
03-23-2015, 21:27
If it's a canister stove, then you should be able to find fuel at most outfitters.

You will also likely find a lot of half empty canisters left in hiker boxes. if you don't mind carrying those along with you, you can probably reduce your fuel purchases by 3/4.

You don't need a particular brand as long as it's 4 season. Most of the 4 season canister fuel in the world comes out of the same plant in S. Korea, iirc.

Slo-go'en
03-23-2015, 21:42
You will find fuel in abundance.

Starchild
03-24-2015, 07:20
Again it should be no problem, and you should be able to go through several towns on a single small canister before you need a resupply unless you are doing some major cooking.

However it may give you added peace of mind to learn how to make a simple alcohol stove/wind screens out of a few soda cans cut with a small knife, or any other simple design you can make along the way. Nothing fancy or pretty, just something you know you can get by with. Basically in it's essence all you need is a method to hold the fuel while it burns, a way to elevate the pot and a way to block the wind.

4eyedbuzzard
03-24-2015, 09:04
However it may give you added peace of mind to learn how to make a simple alcohol stove... in it's essence all you need is a method to hold the fuel while it burns, a way to elevate the pot and a way to block the wind.And there's also other stuff you can find in a pinch, called "wood". :)

Fredt4
03-24-2015, 21:28
If it's a canister stove, then you should be able to find fuel at most outfitters.

You will also likely find a lot of half empty canisters left in hiker boxes. if you don't mind carrying those along with you, you can probably reduce your fuel purchases by 3/4.

You don't need a particular brand as long as it's 4 season. Most of the 4 season canister fuel in the world comes out of the same plant in S. Korea, iirc.

So true, only had to buy two canisters on my thru-hike.