PDA

View Full Version : sleeping pad question

lzeplin
03-23-2015, 23:52
My looking for a great sleep pad to use in a tent. My question is do I really need a full length pad? Or will a 48" incher be enough? I'll be using my top quilt. Also which pad do you recommend? I was looking at the therma rest trekker.. Thanks for any help!

jeffmeh
03-24-2015, 04:20
This depends significantly upon the expected temperatures, how much weight you are willing to carry, and personal preference for what makes for a "great sleep." The pads primary purpose is insulation from the ground, so if you use a short pad you will need to use something like your pack under your legs for insulation. The Thermarest NeoAir Trekker gets good reviews. A comparable pad is the Exped Synmat UL7, which I own and am quite happy with. I only wish that when I bought it they had already released the MW, as I would be comfortable with the extra width for that additional weight penalty. :) Look at the R-values and the weight.

Rocket Jones
03-24-2015, 06:19
I use the Trekker torso pad that you mention and like it a lot. Like Jeff says, I put my pack under my legs with my trash compactor bag on top of the pack if it's wet.

brancher
03-24-2015, 06:30
I have a top quilt for hammocking and use the same TQ in my tent. The TQ works well for warmth, but I did put a couple of attachment points on it so I can stretch some elastic around my pad(s). This ensures the relatively narrow top quilt will stay snug around the pad (and me) in cooler weather, and provides for stability when I need an additional pad cold weather.

Personally, I like a full length pad, mummy style, so I can slide it down into my foot box if necessary. I've tried inflatables, I'm not too crazy about 'em since I seem to keep rolling off of them, and I don't particularly like blowing them up. I'd rather put up with the extra couple of ounces and use a self-inflating Thermarest Prolite (at 16.1 oz). Thermarest also has a new one called the Evolite (?) that's self-inflating (mostly) and is 2.5 in thick - and still only 16 oz or so. I tried one out at REI and I only have to add about 3 breaths to fully inflate this pad, and it is quite plush.

At 48 in, you're gonna need to use a supplemental pad like your backpack. Not a bad thing, just a little different than a full pad. If you have a UL backpack with a removable back frame pad, that's a handy tool to use as a leg pad AND sit pad (I use part of an old Ridgerest in my Ohm). If you are using a shorter pad, you also may wanna try a piece of windshield reflectix to stick under your feet. There are discussions as to the real benefit of the reflectix but many folks swear by it.
Lastly, last time I checked REI had a Women's Neo Air on sale in their outlet site. That one's 66 in long and slightly wider, and still very light. That may be a good compromise.

hope this helps.

Slo-go'en
03-24-2015, 09:07
3/4 length is OK in the summer. The rest of the year you want full length or you'll have cold feet. Sure you can use your pack under your feet, but that's not a great option. The pack maybe wet and it can shift around during the night. Anyway, I keep everything I'm not using at the moment in my pack so it doesn't lay very flat.

Another Kevin
03-24-2015, 09:19
As everyone else says, it depends on what you consider comfortable enough. I like a full length pad, and I'm willing to carry a few extra ounces to keep my feet warm.

Lyle
03-24-2015, 09:31
Totally a personal decision. At your age, I was completely satisfied and comfortable with a 3/4 length Ensolite pad (blue foam in today's market) for three season. For winter conditions, add a second, full length pad.

Over the years I've used everything from a torso length (much shorter than 3/4 length) closed cell pad, to the pad(s) listed above, to 3/4 length self-inflating Thermarest, to 3/4 length Thermarest ProLite (thiner).

Today I'm using a NeoAir X-Therm and I'm very happy thus far. Extremely comfortable, and pretty good r-value. I haven't used it yet in dead of winter. I do always carry at least a torso length closed cell with the X-Therm in case of catestropic failure at some point. The closed cell pad is great as a sit pad, pack support, and stove wind screen when not needed for sleeping.

bigcranky
03-24-2015, 10:02
I find a 3/4 pad works ok in warm weather as long as it's fairly thin -- a big thick 2-inch pad has too much drop-off and my legs are not comfortable.

Last summer I finally spent the bucks on a full length Neoair and it was great. If you'll be hiking in cold weather, the Xtherm is much warmer, but way pricier. But if it will keep my always-cold wife warm (which it does), it's worth the cost.

Walkintom
03-24-2015, 10:30
I started with a 3/4 pad and switched to a full length pad. I also went from using a self inflatable thin pad to a 3 1/2" thick pad that means I never really feel the ground.

It really IS personal preference but given that the quality of my day is often driven by how well I slept on average for the past 3 days, it's an important one, imho.

If you aren't sleeping well, don't shirk from trying something different.

88BlueGT
03-24-2015, 11:08
I use a 3/4 Z-Lite pad. If it's a colder night I'll use my Gossamer Gear sit pad to either a) extend the sleeping pad or b) put under my torso for added warmth/support. This also stays in my pack up against my back while hiking for support/comfort. IMO, sit pads are worth their weight in gold.

garlic08
03-24-2015, 14:15
48" has always worked for me on three-season hikes. My pad also doubles as my pack frame and that's the perfect length for both duties.

Many of my campsites on the AT were in deep leaf litter and I didn't even need the pad. If I were going to spend more time on plank floors in shelters, I might change my mind about the pad.

DLP
03-24-2015, 14:31
I find the width of pads to be more of an issue than length.

I used this ALPS 20" x 48" pad for a couple of summers. It is super inexpensive and super comfy but kind of heavy at 1 lb, 9 oz.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LF3FQ4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3UANFD5DE8CT4&coliid=I3C6LO3R5E2ALG&psc=1

I used a 20"x48" Thermarest Neoair for 30 nights. My problem is that the 20" Neoairs blow up to be 17" wide. I spent most of the night half off the pad and half off ground cloth. Woke up many times in the middle of the night laying in the dirt. :( Loved the 8 oz of weight... but hated being sleep deprived.
http://www.amazon.com/Thermarest-NeoAir-Xlite-Sleeping-Pad/dp/B006RL7GK8/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1427221653&sr=1-1&keywords=thermarest+neoair

Currently using a 25" x 77" Neoair. It blows up to 22" wide. It is a full pound but worth it to get a good night sleep. Expensive.
I'm 5'2" in the morning on a good day. 77" is kind of over kill but love that 22" width.

DLP
03-24-2015, 14:38
Don't know if $$$ is an issue.

Trekker 25"x48" is 15 oz. $103
NeoAir Xlite 25"x77" is 16 oz. $180

For one ounce... you might want to go with the full sized Xlight. But it will cost you.

jeffmeh
03-24-2015, 14:53
http://www.rei.com/product/811907/exped-synmat-ul-7-air-pad#tab-specs This is the Exped I have, but as stated I would prefer a MW if I had had that option when I bought it. I also bought it with a fairly steep discount, but that is not always available. Very good R-value for the weight, and a very good 3-season pad for northern New England, lol. In the winter I add a Z-Rest and double them up.

lzeplin
03-24-2015, 17:45
http://www.rei.com/product/811907/exped-synmat-ul-7-air-pad#tab-specs This is the Exped I have, but as stated I would prefer a MW if I had had that option when I bought it. I also bought it with a fairly steep discount, but that is not always available. Very good R-value for the weight, and a very good 3-season pad for northern New England, lol. In the winter I add a Z-Rest and double them up.

Nice looking pad but the review's are terrible.. I'm a hammock camper but just looking for something to use in the early spring and late fall. I have a new nemo tent on the way. Trying to decided on a pad.. Thanks guys so much for your help. I'm leaning towards the full length pad now....

jeffmeh
03-24-2015, 18:25
Nice looking pad but the review's are terrible.. I'm a hammock camper but just looking for something to use in the early spring and late fall. I have a new nemo tent on the way. Trying to decided on a pad.. Thanks guys so much for your help. I'm leaning towards the full length pad now....

I'm not sure where you found terrible reviews, as everywhere I looked it was 4+ of 5. Pretty good for a UL inflatable. No worries though, just sharing my experience. Incidentally, my son took one on his AT thru, and it did start to delaminate by the time he reached NH NOBO. REI replaced it for free.

BirdBrain
03-24-2015, 18:32
I'm not sure where you found terrible reviews, as everywhere I looked it was 4+ of 5. Pretty good for a UL inflatable. No worries though, just sharing my experience. Incidentally, my son took one on his AT thru, and it did start to delaminate by the time he reached NH NOBO. REI replaced it for free.

I have the UL7 as well. Love mine. Love the valve system. I leave mine in my Big Agnes bag. I use the exped pillow pump to inflate it.

Rex Clifton
03-25-2015, 16:02
I have a Trekker 72 inch and really like it. Like you, I use a quilt rather than a sleeping bag. Since the quilt is open a bit at the bottom, I would not recommend a shorter pad.

Pastor Bryon
03-25-2015, 21:03
I use the Trekker. I specifically bought it because I wanted a torso length pad but keep the 25" width. It was the only 25x48 pad I could find. I also own a 25x77 NeoAir All-Season which I use in cooler weather.

Personally, I find the Trekker to be fine. The new models went up from 2.0 to 3.0 in R-value. Not a lot, but a difference all the same. I also sleep in a tent, so with a ground pad and tent there are a couple of layers there. A good pair of socks and I find I'm good to go.

The weight/size difference is really nice. I bought an xlite originally, but found it too noisy. The Trekker still makes noise, but not as much in my opinion. It comes in just under a pound, and packs very easily in a variety of ways in my pack.