PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO: ZPacks Zero Backpack (HD)

12trysomething
03-25-2015, 08:57
Late last summer I picked up a Zpacks Zero backpack size small. I have taken one trip with this backpack and it is an essential piece of my ultralight backpacking set up. The small Zero is a 27.5 liter pack (before any customization) that weights just 4oz. I customized mine to meet my style of loading and gear, doubling the weight to just over 9oz. Come along a take a look at how I had this pack built and some of its features. Thanks for watching!

- Rob

Zpacks Zero Backpack - http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/zero.... (http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/zero.shtml)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWobvA7vQFU&list=UUM9043zY2t1tsVGB7mjrLqg

SteelCut
03-25-2015, 09:18
Thanks for posting this. I've been looking at this pack for a minimalistic overnight pack. It seems like it would fit the bill for me. However, I don't think that I'd like the sleeping pad between me and the pack but I like the other options you added.

Coffee
03-25-2015, 09:25
Thanks for the video. I'm eventually going to have to choose between the zPacks zero and the ULA CDT when I hike the Camino (probably next year).

12trysomething
03-25-2015, 13:55
Thanks for posting this. I've been looking at this pack for a minimalistic overnight pack. It seems like it would fit the bill for me. However, I don't think that I'd like the sleeping pad between me and the pack but I like the other options you added.

You are welcome. I now use a different pad that works well, the blue CCF pad was crappy and bunched up (as you could see). Thanks for watching.

12trysomething
03-25-2015, 13:56
Thanks for the video. I'm eventually going to have to choose between the zPacks zero and the ULA CDT when I hike the Camino (probably next year).

Both are great. Enjoy the planning and trip! - Rob

Sodium
03-25-2015, 16:24
Great video! I've recently bought a Zpacks Zero small for a planned thru-hike :)

I too went for the back mesh and roll top closure, but instead of side pockets, I had the pack made with a padded belt so I can attach two Zpacks belt pouches. This gives me access to food, gloves, hat, map, phone, etc while on the move. Also two Zpacks shoulder pouches for water bottles. An emergency whistle built into the chest strap, and elastic cords to sling unused hiking poles across my chest. Finally I had the seams taped to improve the water resistance. All the options double the weight of the pack, but it is still only 285g / 10oz !

12trysomething
03-25-2015, 16:48
Great video! I've recently bought a Zpacks Zero small for a planned thru-hike :)

I too went for the back mesh and roll top closure, but instead of side pockets, I had the pack made with a padded belt so I can attach two Zpacks belt pouches. This gives me access to food, gloves, hat, map, phone, etc while on the move. Also two Zpacks shoulder pouches for water bottles. An emergency whistle built into the chest strap, and elastic cords to sling unused hiking poles across my chest. Finally I had the seams taped to improve the water resistance. All the options double the weight of the pack, but it is still only 285g / 10oz !

Nice! I love how you can customize anyway you want. Would you share some pics of yours and how you had it done? I am interested in seeing different options and choices. Thanks. - Rob

Sodium
06-09-2015, 06:34
Nice! I love how you can customize anyway you want. Would you share some pics of yours and how you had it done? I am interested in seeing different options and choices. Thanks. - Rob

Sure, here is my 27l Zero all loaded up for a thru-hike! Everything except food. The customizations made by Zpacks are:

- Mesh center pocket
- 2 waterproof belt pouches
- 1 shoulder pouch/0.5l water bottle holder
- emergency whistle sternum strap buckle
- taped seams
- rolltop closure
- padded belt
- 2 trekking pole holders (these are just loops of elastic cord on the chest straps)

Total empty weight is 317g / 11.2oz

I *think* it is going to be big enough for my thruhike :) There should be plenty of room in the belt pouches for snacks, and 2-3 days of food in the main bag. I might add a 2nd shoulder pouch to use for gloves, hat, phone/camera, etc if I need the space.