PDA

View Full Version : coffee advice please

booya
03-25-2015, 14:19
Hey so what have you all used to make coffee in the morning? I've read about instant, drip, and press. What have you found to be the best?

SteelCut
03-25-2015, 14:21
Starbucks Via

Wülfgang
03-25-2015, 14:24
Instant. I like to put it in with chocolate protein powder, and some powdered milk or cream. 2 birds with 1 stone.

perrymk
03-25-2015, 14:35
instant, strong, inexpensive

bigcranky
03-25-2015, 14:37
Via is very good -- has the best aroma, good flavor, but expensive.

The tubes of Nescafe instant don't smell as good, but taste about the same in a side by side test conducted by a pair of serious coffee nerds. They are a lot cheaper.

The Starbucks Iced Via is just about manna from heaven for summer no-stove hiking. One packet and 16oz of cold creek water is delicious.

Lyle
03-25-2015, 14:43
I've gone through drip with a cone and ground coffee, coffee bags, Taster's choice packets. I've avoided what I consider way to expensive Starbucks Via, since I don't care for Starbucks brewed coffee in least, always tastes burned to me. What I have settled on over the past several years is Nescafe Classico instant. Just buy a jar, dump it in a ziplock and have virtually as much coffee as you want, no fuss, no muss, and it tastes reasonable good. Is readily available at Dollar General, Walmart, most supermarkets, etc.

BirdBrain
03-25-2015, 14:51
Starbucks Via

^^^^^
This!
I have tried them all. Columbian version. Lightest option for tolerable coffee.

scrabbler
03-25-2015, 15:18
I'll 2nd the Cafe Bustello recommendation, and I was stoked to find it in single serve packets at Kroger last week for CHEAP.

Walkintom
03-25-2015, 15:22
Starbucks Via is better than anything else I have tried.

You could always kick the ole coffee habit...

I carry Via.

colorado_rob
03-25-2015, 15:56
Tried them all, including those less expensive ones suggested on WB threads; nothing touches SB Via (except, of course, real brewed coffee). I like the Italian or French Roast, but Columbia Via's are cheaper (they sell them at Costco for 66 cents each).

jbwood5
03-25-2015, 15:58
Ditto on Starbucks Via. I only buy it when it is on-sale and stock up.
Actually, I weened myself off coffee while on the trail when I was younger. I saved fuel, water, and time plus the coffee made me pee more and I had to drink more water in the day. One or two days of mild headaches was the only issue.

Nowadays, I'm in no hurry and I can't do without some coffee on most days. :)

swjohnsey
03-25-2015, 16:07
I'm not a coffee snob but I can't stomach instant, cowboy coffee for me. Put 1/4 c coffee and 1/4 c sugar (any kind) in Ziploc. In the evening after cooking dinner add the Ziploc to about 20 oz water in cooking pot and sit it on the stove. Light the stove in the morning and bring to boil while knocking down camp. Take off stove and let steep for 5 min. Sit down and ponder over coffee while waiting for enough light to walk.

tiptoe
03-25-2015, 16:18
I like to drink green tea and herbal tea when I hike, but I certainly enjoy the taste of brewed coffee. I take some Medaglia d'Oro instant with me, but mostly for medicinal purposes (to combat coffee withdrawal headache). And when I get to a town, I indulge in a cup or two with a big hiker breakfast.

BirdBrain
03-25-2015, 16:19
Sugar? Sugar!? Next thing you know people will be suggesting putting Nido in their coffee. ;) I just like coffee in my coffee. :)

The Solemates
03-25-2015, 16:37
Sugar? Sugar!? Next thing you know people will be suggesting putting Nido in their coffee. ;) I just like coffee in my coffee. :)

here here!

I usually pack coffee "bags". Just like tea bags, they seep. they are light weight, inexpensive, and taste good. i havent found an instant powder coffee that tastes good, but I also havent tried Starbucks Via because I cant bring myself to pay that much for trail coffee.

OCDave
03-25-2015, 16:53
I have tried SB VIA and am not impressed.

Try KAVA instant. Flavor and price are both more palatable that SB.

http://www.kavacoffee.com/

rickb
03-25-2015, 17:01
How do those compare with the single serve Mount Hagan tubes from Whole Foods?

Lately I have been drinking that at home. Not as good as my best brewed coffee-- but much more constant, no clean up and very drinkable.

colorado_rob
03-25-2015, 17:04
I have tried SB VIA and am not impressed.

Try KAVA instant. Flavor and price are both more palatable that SB.

http://www.kavacoffee.com/Already tried it, on your earlier recommendation. Horrible. Isn't it weird how we all have different tastes?

bayview
03-25-2015, 17:49
Has anyone tried the Cold Brew process? A local barista here does it one way. I was thinking of trying to put water before I go to bed in a Naglene with a coffee attachment and letting it sit over night with coffee in water. In the morning, just bringing a little bit of heat to the liquid without the grounds, as they were in the mesh container, and add condiments of creamer and sugar.

OCDave
03-25-2015, 17:50
Already tried it, on your earlier recommendation. Horrible. Isn't it weird how we all have different tastes?

Sorry, It didn't work for you.

I have an aquantance who immigrated from Lebanon. He claims SANKA is the most popular coffe in that country. I remember the commercials from when I was a kid but, I don't think I have seen it on my store's shelves. I have never tried it but apparently it is well received in the Middle East.

ChrisJackson
03-25-2015, 18:24
If you decide to go the "press" route...that Snow Peak Ti French Press is a good little press. It is a little pricey though...

Madpaddy
03-25-2015, 18:34
Hey so what have you all used to make coffee in the morning? I've read about instant, drip, and press. What have you found to be the best?
I love Trader Joes all in one coffee, sugar, and powdered milk in little individual pouches...good flavor.....you can buy them by the box and very light in your stash. Personally I use two at a time to give my trail legs a jolt!

Hikes in Rain
03-25-2015, 18:36
Cowboy coffee. Since I section hike, I can roast and grind my own. I do carry a little strainer to get the grounds out.

Another Kevin
03-25-2015, 18:48
Cone filter. Can't abide instant. If I can't have real coffee, I'm not going!

Lyle
03-25-2015, 19:00
Just to add, the thing I don't like about all of the single-serve packets, is that not all cups are the same size. With bulk instant in a ziplock, or ground coffee you can adjust the amount for your particular cup. Just something more to think about.

jeffmeh
03-25-2015, 19:08
Sorry, It didn't work for you.

I have an aquantance who immigrated from Lebanon. He claims SANKA is the most popular coffe in that country. I remember the commercials from when I was a kid but, I don't think I have seen it on my store's shelves. I have never tried it but apparently it is well received in the Middle East.

lol. My grandparents drank it. I was never a fan.

MuddyWaters
03-25-2015, 19:19
Real coffee is best.
Im a heavy coffee drinker, but dont drink much on trail. Fortunately im not someone addicted that gets caffeine withdrawal headaches. Must be some miracle that i dont.

I find all the starbucks tastes burnt. I can deal with nescafe or folgers singles better.

Most of the time, its nothing.

Noseeum
03-25-2015, 20:00
Another Starbuck's VIA user. Get the Columbian, which is a medium roast so you do not get that 'burned' taste of a dark roast. Start with a heaping trail spoon of dehydrated milk, add a little hot water and stir until its reasonably milk-like. Dump in a coffee packet, then top off with hot water to about 1/2 of a SP Ti 600ml mug. Tasty enough and no mess other than the empty coffee packet.

To keep the cost down, buy your Via from store.starbucks.com where a 50-pack of Via packets is $38. Even with shipping it is less than what you will pay at the grocery store.

Coffee
03-25-2015, 20:07
Can't resist chiming in here ... I'm a caffeine addict rather than a true coffee snob and lack patience for fancy coffee solutions on trail. I have yet to find anything that approaches Starbucks Via. I prefer French or Italian roast. I try to buy them on sale when possible.

Bonanza.com has some good deals on unexpired Via like this one (I have purchased from seller nagasaki before, shipments come in quickly and appear drop shipped from Starbucks):
$27.71 for 50 Italian Roast
http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Starbucks-Via-Ready-Brew-Italian-Roast-Instant-Coffee-50-Single-Serve-Packet/245308233?st_id=18199511

Bonanza.com also has tremendously cheap deals on expired Via. Here are 300 Italian Roast for $44.97 but they "expired" in 2011:
http://www.bonanza.com/listings/300-Starbucks-Italian-Roast-Extra-Bold-Via-Instant-Coffee-Free-Priority-Ship/79914925

I haven't gone down the expired path, particularly for 3+ year old coffee, but apparently many people can't tell the difference.

For the PCT, I have placed about a month's worth of coffee in each of the four resupply boxes I'm sending that also contain new trail runners which I'll need about every month. Vias weigh very little and I don't mind carrying 30 of them. Normally on shorter trips I like to drink at least two coffees per day, one at breakfast and another mid-morning but for the PCT I'm going to *try* to limit myself to one per day. If I can. Which I doubt. In which case I'll just order more to be sent to the trail from Bonanza.com...

Tuckahoe
03-25-2015, 20:07
Some might be interested on this -- http://www.jivacubes.com/

Mountain Bluebird
03-25-2015, 20:25
+1
for Another Kevin's opinion!!

elray
03-25-2015, 21:46
Been using the coffee bags since their inception, Folger's are the best flavored, 20 of them only weigh a few ounces and the grounds are easily disposed leaving only the paper membrane to carry out.

jupiterkn
03-26-2015, 07:01
Instant Expresso
Going to try powdered heavy cream also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vamelungeon
03-26-2015, 07:03
I use a press. There are some made for backpacking.

Offshore
03-26-2015, 07:06
Starbucks VIA or Taster's Choice (less intense) instant. Easy prep., negligible weight, and no cleanup. I don't bother with backpacking presses, etc. unless car camping. I appreciate great coffee, but its not a trail priority, so good enough is good enough.

Grampie
03-26-2015, 08:54
Folgers makes coffee in a single serve pouch. Looks like a tea bag and works the same way. Just boil up some water, put in the bag, let it brew for a few minutes and you will have a acceptable cup of coffee.

4eyedbuzzard
03-26-2015, 09:16
In the past I've used Senseo pods which are like the coffee "tea bag" types only bigger. Or I just take the Jetboil and French press, which while limited cooking wise, does make a really good cup of coffee. I'll also carry a few "mini moo" 1/2 & 1/2 creamers. They keep without refrigeration. Impractical for a thru-hike, but just fine for a weekend or section.

Hot Flash
03-26-2015, 09:21
Via. It's crap coffee like all the rest of Starbuck's overpriced swill, but it's the most convenient.

Harrison Bergeron
03-26-2015, 09:56
GSI ultralight Java drip, 0.4oz: http://gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/ultralight_java_drip/coffee

If I had to endure instant, I'd just give it up.

Rolls Kanardly
03-26-2015, 12:00
Instant. I like to put it in with chocolate protein powder, and some powdered milk or cream. 2 birds with 1 stone.

Me too, Folgers crystals and a middle of the road chocolate or vanilla protein powder from Wally World. Rolls

Rolls Kanardly
03-26-2015, 12:03
booya

Welcome to Whiteblaze.net.

Rolls

rustmd
03-26-2015, 12:26
starbucks via, anything bold flavor. and i dehydrate muffins to add to my morning breakfast. . .it's like have a biscotti with your a.m. coffee!

.com

Hot Flash
03-26-2015, 14:18
Let's be honest here, Via isn't coffee, it's brown water with caffeine. But, it's the most convenient brown water for backpacking because of how it's packaged.

colorado_rob
03-26-2015, 14:29
Let's be honest here, Via isn't coffee, it's brown water with caffeine. But, it's the most convenient brown water for backpacking because of how it's packaged.
Again, isn't it funny we all have different tastes? Via is delicious to me, best instant I've ever tasted especially the bolder flavors. I sometimes use two via's in a 12 oz cup. Some of us like very bold, dark coffee. Enjoy whatever you like! I promise I won't bad-mouth your tastes if you don't mine/our's, ok?

perdidochas
03-26-2015, 14:31

Starbucks via and Folger's Fresh Breaks Black silk are my favorite of the instants--they are just about as good as any other average coffee. I've done a press in a coffee mug with a built in press while car camping. It's a pain to clean up. Haven't tried drip--it would probably be in between the other two in terms of ease.

Funkmeister
03-26-2015, 14:36
Starbucks Via for me. Folgers Black Silk is almost as good for a bit less. Every other day. I make tea on in-between days.

And I don't want to hear gagging noises, but sometimes I make/drink my coffee cold. No sense heating water in the morning when I spent the night a bit warm. The iced tea I sometimes I make the night before and drink it in the morning at 'room' temp.

BirdBrain
03-26-2015, 14:44
Again, isn't it funny we all have different tastes? Via is delicious to me, best instant I've ever tasted especially the bolder flavors. I sometimes use two via's in a 12 oz cup. Some of us like very bold, dark coffee. Enjoy whatever you like! I promise I won't bad-mouth your tastes if you don't mine/our's, ok?

I have never tasted an instant that I like, but Via is close. It is dense too. Other options require more of the powder to achieve the same strength. I find one Via packet enough to do the job. No measuring device required.

chris.ault.37
03-26-2015, 15:37
I bought empty "tea" bags only and fill with my own coffee for drop boxes. Other than that, either or without or find something in town. We may drink lots of tea.

Coffee
03-26-2015, 15:46

In taste tests, many people are unable to differentiate between regular Starbucks drip coffee and Via. Now, I know that some people hate Starbucks drip coffee as well, and it isn't my favorite, but compared to the alternatives on the trail, it is not a bad option. If all I wanted was brown water and caffeine I'd just take a ziplock of Folgers instant and life would be simpler.

jcreamer
03-26-2015, 15:55
The best I have had and cost effective. Just not available except by amazon - unless you have a Korean store locally. It is coffee, creamer, and sugar. Not too sweet though. My wife adds hot chocolate mix (about a teaspoon or so) to make a chocolate mocha. I like it just as is. Hot water, add one packet, and your golden.
http://www.amazon.com/Maxim-Mocha-Korean-Instant-Coffee/dp/B003VCULUS/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1427399502&sr=8-15&keywords=instant+coffee+packets

Another Kevin
03-26-2015, 22:57
starbucks via, anything bold flavor. and i dehydrate muffins to add to my morning breakfast. . .it's like have a biscotti with your a.m. coffee!

.com

I don't try for really high mileage, so I don't mind waiting a little while in the morning. I pack a Fauxbaker (http://www.trailcooking.com/fauxbaker/), three foil muffin cups, and a third of a box of just-add-water muffin mix. (Lately I've been using the mixed berry scone mix from Trader Joe's.)

Instructions are in the captions at this photo set. (https://flic.kr/p/nn2Dc2)

Steam time is about 25 minutes. With the simmer ring in place, my stove can go that long on about an ounce of alcohol.

Interestingly enough, I don't like these scones all that much done in the oven at home. They come out too dry that way. They're much nicer as steam-baked muffins on the trail.

A Fauxbaker and the muffins are only about 20 grams together, and the extra ounce of alcohol is ... less than an ounce (Alcohol is lighter than water). I have other trail breakfasts that are heavier and less tasty.

alexron42
03-27-2015, 01:32
I prefer Medaglia D' Oro Instant Espresso, most of the instants upset my stomach. Plenty of flavor without the coffee gut.

foxinnc
03-27-2015, 07:15
I like those folgers singles that look like tea bags.

Ground Control
03-27-2015, 08:40
Like Another Kevin, I also use a cone filter.

Can't recall the weight offhand, but I remember thinking the grams were negligible and worth it.

Giving the grounds one good stir (in the filter while filtering) greatly impacts the quality of the brew. Satisfying.

tim.hiker
03-27-2015, 09:06
Just about any instant or bags is fine with me if I have my French vanilla creamer :)

soulrebel
03-27-2015, 09:52
aeropress with kaffeologie steel mesh/or disposable paper filters

CalebJ
03-29-2015, 14:30
+1 on the Aeropress. Finally got one this week and I'm very impressed. It's about 7 ounces, but makes an excellent cup of coffee and the cleanup is nearly instant. Most of the time I leave the stove at home, but when I want a cup of coffee on the trail this will be my go to method from now on. Much, much easier to deal with than a french press in terms of cleanup.

ny breakfast
03-30-2015, 01:21
instant, strong, inexpensive

I've tried it all, the cone the, instant coffee, instant Starbucks, making real coffee etc. but when i discovered instant espresso things just made sense hot or cold this stuff makes good coffee quick and to the point. don't right it off because it's instant and it's not Starbucks it's worth a try. instant espresso makes a good cup a joe for your get up and go

Malto
03-30-2015, 06:28
Real coffee is best.
Im a heavy coffee drinker, but dont drink much on trail. Fortunately im not someone addicted that gets caffeine withdrawal headaches. Must be some miracle that i dont.

I find all the starbucks tastes burnt. I can deal with nescafe or folgers singles better.

Most of the time, its nothing.

Interesting little tidbit about Folgers and Starbucks. I used to work for the Company that owned Starbucks on the Starbucks Brand. When Starbucks was growing we ran a series of consumer tests. Blind taste test Folgers hands down beat Starbucks among Americans by some like 60/40. However, when the Branding was added Starbucks beat Folgers.

Many people, including myself, find Starbucks "burnt." I also take the Folgers stick packs, I like them better and much less expensive to boot.

colorado_rob
03-30-2015, 09:15
Hilarious, first we have a post (posts?) telling us that there's no way we could possibly like dark roast (AKA: "burnt") coffees like Starbucks, NOW we have a post telling us that we only THINK we like SB's because of the branding, from some alleged "study". Yikes, the mind absolutely boggles!

Coffee
03-30-2015, 09:33
I don't discount the very powerful effect of branding, but there is absolutely no way - NO WAY - that I would ever mistake folgers for starbucks in a blind taste test. I wish I would since I could then save big bucks on my coffee habit during hikes, but there is a real difference. Many people cannot even tell via apart from brewed starbucks coffee.

fastfoxengineering
04-01-2015, 00:13
On the trail, I love making cowboy coffee. I just like the technique even though my chemex and aeropress at home make bomb coffee. Starbucks via is pretty good for instant. I feel that after going a week or two and being on the trail without coffee, even the cheapest instant hits the sweet spot. Nothing like going without for a while and walking into a nice coffee shop looking like hiker trash.

Hot Flash
04-01-2015, 08:57

I roast my own small-batch coffee from ethical sources, mostly small family farms that grow unique varieties with a wild range of flavor profiles. There is no commercial coffee that can match it.

Yes, Starbuck's is swill. Yes, a lot of people don't know any better because they've been convinced by a brilliant marketing campaign that it's actually good. However, if you paid attention to what I previously wrote, I gave the nod to Via because it's lightweight and easy to pack. That doesn't mean it's good coffee. If I had the ability to produce instant coffee from my own roasts, then I would, and I'd never drink lousy coffee again.

If you'd like to learn about good coffee, and how much broader range there is than brown water from Starbucks, this is an excellent place to start:

https://www.sweetmarias.com/store/

Lyle
04-01-2015, 09:03
Many people cannot even tell via apart from brewed starbucks coffee.

Well, that right there is the main reason I have never tried Via, and probably never will. :)

Anyway, the OP should have concluded by now that there are plenty of options, and that it's a very personal choice. The only way to find out what you like is by taking a LOT of trips and sacrificing some not so great coffee experiences in order to eliminate what you don't like.

Testing at home doesn't really cut it except for the most obvious cuts to the possible options. Just look at it as having to take a lot of shorter trips in order to "research" a critical aspect for that important trip. Yeah, that's what it is...research, I HAVE to go out this weekend.

colorado_rob
04-01-2015, 09:12
I don't discount the very powerful effect of branding, but there is absolutely no way - NO WAY - that I would ever mistake folgers for starbucks in a blind taste test. I wish I would since I could then save big bucks on my coffee habit during hikes, but there is a real difference. Many people cannot even tell via apart from brewed starbucks coffee.Yeah, truly, at least most of what you're saying. I do definitely like brewed coffee better, it's just that SB Via's are the best instant, trail-convenient coffees I've tasted, which I thought this thread was all about: Trail-convenient coffee.

For the record, though I really like SB's coffees, and lots of others much like SB's, I've tried many other great coffees, and my favorite all-time is Kauai Coffee's, Mundo Novo:

http://store.kauaicoffee.com/kauai-coffee-er-mundo-novo-p11.aspx

Wow! I stopped into this coffee plantation some years ago and tasted their coffees, I think it was the best overall coffee experience I've had, fell in love with Mundo Novo, bought a bunch and have bought more online since, but it is really very expensive compared to Starbucks, which is damn good (despite Hot Flash's ramblings and insistences that most of us don't have any valid opinions on what we personally like...) at less than half the cost; SB's whole beans in large bags are really quite reasonable.

Furlough
04-01-2015, 09:17
I prefer real coffee to instant. But, I freely admit to a certain level of laziness while on the trail IRT meals and drinks. So, instant is my choice when hiking. I have tried many instant brands. For me the various Nescafe Clasico varieties are the best. They come in the same type of packaging as VIA, and to my taste buds are far superior in flavor and overall taste.

Furlough

perdidochas
04-01-2015, 12:06
Hilarious, first we have a post (posts?) telling us that there's no way we could possibly like dark roast (AKA: "burnt") coffees like Starbucks, NOW we have a post telling us that we only THINK we like SB's because of the branding, from some alleged "study". Yikes, the mind absolutely boggles!

I don't buy it. I can taste the difference between SBs and Folger's (not the black silk) in the instant versions, but I like the dark roast (burnt) coffee taste.

tiptoe
04-01-2015, 12:11
I like dark roasts too, but very rarely spring for Starbucks.

Jedeye
04-05-2015, 22:15
A new technique I have been using is chocolate covered coffee beans - saves on fuel, water and time. I would advise going with a very dark roast as they are easier to bite into.

BirdBrain
04-05-2015, 22:30
A new technique I have been using is chocolate covered coffee beans - saves on fuel, water and time. I would advise going with a very dark roast as they are easier to bite into.

Oh my! That is thinking outside the box. Love the idea. Now if it ends up passing my OCD gram weenie tests, I might steal this idea. Time to read labels and get the scales out. :banana

Toon
04-06-2015, 02:04
I use a GSI french press mug. It will change your life.

CalebJ
04-06-2015, 08:27
I've got a GSI mug and was never impressed with it. The plunger allows grounds to get around it because it doesn't seal well around the outside perimeter. Also, a french press on the trail is a giant pain to clean. That's why I go all (aeropress) or nothing (caffeine gum) when throwing gear in the pack.

Studlintsean
04-07-2015, 19:32
Starbucks Via 26 packs are on sale starting 4/9 at the NOVA (probably all) Costcos. $3 off with a Max of 5. Figured I would put it out there.

jimyjam
04-07-2015, 20:02
I use the H2JO. It connect to a wide mouth bottle, I use a Nalgene. It's easy to use and makes great coffee. Inexpensive and worth the little weight it has.
Check it out at
http://gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/h2jo/coffee

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

jimyjam
04-07-2015, 20:04
Also for those that like multi purpose items when backpacking you can also use the H2JO to strain your dish water to carry out waste (LNT practices).

Carbo
04-07-2015, 21:32
Costco has Starbucks Via Columbian on sale here in NJ. Pack of 26 for $14.89. That's about .57 per pack.

Rolex
04-08-2015, 06:50
I'm not a coffee snob but I can't stomach instant, cowboy coffee for me. Put 1/4 c coffee and 1/4 c sugar (any kind) in Ziploc. In the evening after cooking dinner add the Ziploc to about 20 oz water in cooking pot and sit it on the stove. Light the stove in the morning and bring to boil while knocking down camp. Take off stove and let steep for 5 min. Sit down and ponder over coffee while waiting for enough light to walk.

I am trying this! Sounds like this would blend in perfect with my start up of a day.

What kind of coffee do you use?

tim.hiker
04-08-2015, 08:02
I mite go light on everything except my coffee.

Odd Man Out
04-08-2015, 11:23
I don't discount the very powerful effect of branding, but there is absolutely no way - NO WAY - that I would ever mistake folgers for starbucks in a blind taste test. I wish I would since I could then save big bucks on my coffee habit during hikes, but there is a real difference. Many people cannot even tell via apart from brewed starbucks coffee.

When VIA was first introduced a few years ago, they offered blind taste tests for VIA vs brewed Starbucks coffee. When asked to pick which one was instant, I picked the brewed. There was a difference of appearance. The VIA was cloudier. I couldn't taste the difference so I picked the less cloudy one as brewed. That was wrong because VIA uses powdered beans which don't dissolve and make it cloudy. But the taste was spot-on. All other brands of instant coffee I have tried are yucky, as are the tea-bag-like single serving steep to make one cup of coffee packages I have tried.

Kevin108
04-10-2015, 19:32
I bought 180 servings of Folders instant for $10. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm hopeful. I'm not a coffee snob as long as it's not too bitter.

jimyjam
04-10-2015, 21:06
For me coffee is more than just a luxury, it is also medicine. I deal with all types of headaches including the worse kind called clusters. The doctor told me to drink coffee to keep headaches at bay so that I have better chances of not triggering a cluster. Has been working for about 5 years now. I know it's the caffeine that is the key factor but it works and I don't like instant coffees.

Jhp45auto
05-10-2015, 07:15
Via user here as brown water caffeine delivery, do prefer vis to the tasters choice which I have to double up. After reading this thread I will be trying some different options.

i am black coffee guy, but Nescafé makes a good instant packet with sugar and cream mix I find in all the hotels in China but I have not found in the US that my kids enjoy.

Singto
05-22-2015, 12:08
The best I have had and cost effective. Just not available except by amazon - unless you have a Korean store locally. It is coffee, creamer, and sugar. Not too sweet though. My wife adds hot chocolate mix (about a teaspoon or so) to make a chocolate mocha. I like it just as is. Hot water, add one packet, and your golden.
http://www.amazon.com/Maxim-Mocha-Korean-Instant-Coffee/dp/B003VCULUS/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1427399502&sr=8-15&keywords=instant+coffee+packets

This looks promising. Thank you!

magneto
05-22-2015, 12:16
Trader Joe's "camp" coffee, includes cream and sugar in individual packets.

http://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Instant-Packets-Creamer/dp/B00ICT8RQU

Moosling
06-08-2015, 15:56
I'm a big coffee drinker, I've tried a lot of different instant coffees on the trail, but the best that I have had is StarBucks. Its EZ to carry, and tastes like real coffee not like most instants. Normally I drink 3 on a long weekend trip and if I run into a Thru hiker I'll give him the rest.

The Solemates
06-08-2015, 16:37
I'm a big coffee drinker ..... Normally I drink 3 on a long weekend trip

this makes no sense whatsoever :)

BirdBrain
06-08-2015, 16:47

Really! I drink 3 cups on a long coffee break. :D

RockDoc
06-08-2015, 19:11
I've tried everything, instant, drip, French Press, and have settled on Starbucks Via like many others.

bemental
06-08-2015, 19:14
Aero press with Starbucks; easiest cup of best tasting coffee you'll get.

http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

The Solemates
06-08-2015, 22:35
Really! I drink 3 cups on a long coffee break. :D

No kidding. Most mornings I drnk 3 before 6am

Riocielo
06-09-2015, 01:31
We use Via as well. Easy to pack and easy to fix.

Moosling
06-09-2015, 08:04

LOL Yeah I guess not should have thought about what I was saying a little more. I guess what I meant was that I need at least 1 cup in the morning regardless otherwise I'm done for the day. At home I'll drink 3 cups in the morning but hiking it kinda bloats me so I cut it back a bit. This is what I get for posting at work and being without Coffee

Harrison Bergeron
06-09-2015, 20:47
It doesn't get any better than this: http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-Ultralight-Java-Drip/dp/B001LF3ICU/ref=sr_1_2

It literally weighs less than half an ounce and makes drip coffee that tastes exactly the same as if you'd made it in your Mr. Coffee in your own kitchen. Four ounces of real, ground Starbucks in a ziplock will last ten days, using two tablespoons per cup. Cleanup is ridiculously simple -- just flip it over and pour water through it the other way.

Here's another tip -- take packets of real half-and-half that McDonalds hands out for free in the morning. Carry them in your insulated coffee mug with the cap on it.

Guys, coffee isn't something to screw around with on the trail. If you're worried about the 4oz, leave something less essential at home, like your pack. No wait, you need something to carry your coffee in. So keep the pack, toss the water filter. No wait, you need the filter to make your coffee taste good. I give up, if it really bothers you, just don't hike farther from town than the amount of real coffee you're willing to carry, at 0.4oz per day. Coffee is not expendable. And instant coffee is not coffee, it is merely a low-grade torture device that probably won't kill you but might make you crazy, like water boarding.

BirdBrain
06-09-2015, 20:53
You had me until you started in with putting other stuff into it. I like coffee in my coffee. No need to sweeten it of make it tan.

However, that is quite the sale. $80 marked down to $7!!!!

10-K
06-09-2015, 20:55
Boil water, drop one of these in, wait 5 minutes. Better than any instant

https://www.discountcoffee.com/maxwell-house-4-cup-coffee.htm

Harrison Bergeron
06-10-2015, 19:14
You had me until you started in with putting other stuff into it. I like coffee in my coffee. No need to sweeten it of make it tan.

However, that is quite the sale. $80 marked down to $7!!!!

Heck of a deal! Probably worth every penny even at $80. I've gone through three $100 Kuerigs at home since I started using that GSI filter for hiking four years ago. If I'd had any sense I could have saved myself $300 by using the GSI at home, too.

Yeah, I used to be a black coffee guy. But I was once marooned in upstate New York for three years where "regular" coffee comes with cream whether you ask for it or not. I got tired arguing and learned to like it that way. But you should know that real cream is not a pollutant, just a modifier. Sugar or sweetener, though -- now that's a crime!

Farr Away
06-11-2015, 10:48

Yeah, I used to be a black coffee guy. But I was once marooned in upstate New York for three years where "regular" coffee comes with cream whether you ask for it or not. I got tired arguing and learned to like it that way. But you should know that real cream is not a pollutant, just a modifier. Sugar or sweetener, though -- now that's a crime!

I grew up in upstate New York. Never was served a coffee with the cream already in it.

Harrison Bergeron
06-11-2015, 15:30
I grew up in upstate New York. Never was served a coffee with the cream already in it.

Really? What part? To some people "upstate" is Poughkeepsie. Maybe it was just a Plattsburgh thing. All I know is that anytime I'd ask for coffee, they'd say "regular"? And half the time I'd say "yes", thinking they meant not-decaf, and I'd wind up with a cup of tan coffee. It happened so often that I got to where liked it.

Farr Away
06-12-2015, 12:35
About an hour and a half north of Syracuse - small town called Lowville, so Poughkeepsie was definitely not "upstate" to us. I also spent a fair bit of time in a small town about an hour south of Ottawa. Didn't get as far east as Plattsburgh very often though.

bikebum1975
06-15-2015, 14:36
Heck of a deal! Probably worth every penny even at $80. I've gone through three $100 Kuerigs at home since I started using that GSI filter for hiking four years ago. If I'd had any sense I could have saved myself $300 by using the GSI at home, too.

That's a new one to me never heard of such a thing unless some fancy coffee joint thing. Reason why I like gas stations get it how ya like it

al_stargazer
06-16-2015, 22:51
My husband likes the Folgers singles.

lac3300
06-18-2015, 12:10
I have a jet boil and got the coffee press attachment for my mug. HAVE to have coffee...and enjoy the jetboil. Going Cuban style with real bustelo and sugar next time out.

Sent from my N9515 using Tapatalk

Katywoo
06-24-2015, 04:31
I love that a discussion about coffee is up to 6 pages. It's clearly an important topic!

I had made the silly assumption that instant coffees available in the UK would be available in the US, then I heard that instant is way more popular on this side of the pond. Soooo, I know you get Nescafe over there but:

1. does their range include Gold Blend or something equally rich?
and 2. do you get Kenco or Douwe Egberts instant coffees in the US?

I had planned on instant as I thought the coffee-making paraphernalia would weigh too much together. From posts here it seems some of you would suggest otherwise so I might reconsider.

Deadeye
06-24-2015, 09:04
I love my coffee in the morning, but I've found one thing to be true for me... it's a whole lot easier to make good tea in the woods.

PD230SOI
08-22-2015, 18:02
I just add hot water to grinds, let it sit, stir, and drink..... Leave the mud in the bottom.

Rex Clifton
08-23-2015, 14:23
My favorite is Mount Hagen Organic. In my opinion, better than Starbucks Via at around half the price. You can find on Amazon.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

bikebum1975
08-23-2015, 21:36
I just add hot water to grinds, let it sit, stir, and drink..... Leave the mud in the bottom.
Add to the pot before you add water boil for a few minutes no worry bout the mud in your cup. Let sit for a few minutes add some cold water. Your way is one step away from good cowboy coffee. Still a top favorite way

mrcoffeect
08-24-2015, 08:03
I still have and use a small alum. 5 cup perk coffee pot. It might not be the best for light and easy coffee in the woods.
but hands down I am drinking the best cup of coffee in the woods:).

dirkomatic
09-03-2015, 08:44
I am not a weight weenie, so I use parts ripped from a Primula press in my Stanley Adventure Camp Cookset. I got the idea from a youtube video.

Odd Man Out
09-03-2015, 10:31
I love my coffee in the morning, but I've found one thing to be true for me... it's a whole lot easier to make good tea in the woods.

I like tea in the PM and coffee in the AM. Problem is that most cups, once used for coffee, tend not to work for tea - too many absorbed flavors.

plexusbritt
09-09-2015, 22:36
The Folgers coffee that's in the tea bag looking things would be my personal favorite.

Spacelord
09-10-2015, 02:17
Has anyone tried the snowy peak titanium press ?

frontovik193
09-10-2015, 11:38
I'm a pretty big Nescafe fan. I prefer it over starbucks and it is way cheaper.

bikebum1975
09-11-2015, 19:35
Just found this little gadget I'm thinking to get now

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=moka%20pot%20expresso%20maker&page=4&cat_id=0

bikebum1975
09-11-2015, 19:37
Sorry wrong link here's the one I wanted to show. Ignore previous post

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-MyJo-Single-Cup-Coffee-Maker/35495713

nsherry61
09-11-2015, 21:56
I really like single cup drip coffee and found this GSI drip coffee maker (http://www.rei.com/product/784659/gsi-outdoors-ultralight-java-drip-coffee-maker) to be fantastic and so light you can't really feel the weight in your hands. Heck, I have gone weeks at a time at home using this instead of my Melitta filter cone.

bikebum1975
09-17-2015, 18:12
Toyed with gettin something like the gsi filter thing. I got a mellita to use it near daily

bogeygaff
09-17-2015, 19:16
Snow Peak coffee press works great if using a course grind

Dufferman
09-20-2015, 09:54
Trader Joe's Instant Coffee Packets (all dressed up with creamer and sugar). I think these are quite good for instant coffee. I like cream and sugar so this makes taking it very easy - everything is in one package.

cneill13
09-20-2015, 10:08
Nescafe has an instant coffee that is decently good which includes both creamer and sugar in one packet. Just over $.25 per serving.

http://www.amazon.com/Nescafe-Instant-Coffee-Creamer-Packets/dp/B00COIXV6G/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1442757948&sr=8-7&keywords=nescafe+coffee

And mixing a plain Nescafe instant coffee with a packet of hot chocolate makes an excellent Café Mocha.

Stubby
09-21-2015, 14:11
GSI ultralight Java drip, 0.4oz: http://gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/ultralight_java_drip/coffee

If I had to endure instant, I'd just give it up.

I love this. weighs next to nothing, makes real drip coffee.

Tastes better than any instant coffee.

Thus using your preferred regular drip coffee brand, so it tastes just as you like it...

And, the coffee itself costs what you normally pay.

Have to repeat the weight: 0.4 oz.

Easy, too. Heat my water. clip filter to top of cup. Put coffee in filter. Pour hot water in slowly.

bikebum1975
10-18-2015, 10:43
Found a new toy at the good will yesterday. Picked up an oxo French press best part the main lid press and grounds catcher this one has fits perfectly into my Stanley pot. I was pleasantly surprised how good the coffee tastes even with cheap coffee. I'm still not giving up my perculators though