PDA

View Full Version : Dog Booties

CCCCAT
03-25-2015, 19:21
I got dog booties for my dog, Cisco, in preparation for our hike on the Appalachian Trail. It's a backup plan, in case he has any paw problems and needs a little extra protection. There's a front and back pair. He's such a tolerant dog; he lets me do most anything, didn't fuss when I put the boots on his feet. It was positively hilarious to watch him high stepping when he walked with them! (Of course, he got treats for this.)

Here's a pic.

squeezebox
03-25-2015, 21:19
A good thing to do.

saltysack
03-28-2015, 22:54
I got dog booties for my dog, Cisco, in preparation for our hike on the Appalachian Trail. It's a backup plan, in case he has any paw problems and needs a little extra protection. There's a front and back pair. He's such a tolerant dog; he lets me do most anything, didn't fuss when I put the boots on his feet. It was positively hilarious to watch him high stepping when he walked with them! (Of course, he got treats for this.)

Here's a pic.

If boogie don't workout try mushers secret and condition his paws beforehand....I've heard of booties causing problems on dogs feet...I've never had any prob w my pups paws w several hundred miles in the AT...I regularly run him on various terrain from asphalt to sand...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bemental
03-29-2015, 00:40
Ditched the booties after twenty minutes on the approach trail at Amicalola. Musher's Secret all the way.

Prior conditioning is essential. We did ours in the winter up in Maine in snow, ice, and asphalt (all we had, and he didn't seem to mind one bit).

CCCCAT
03-29-2015, 12:37
I did, in fact, get Musher's Secret as well. Haven't tried it yet. The booties are a backup if something happens and he needs extra protection. Hadn't planned to have him wear them daily. We've been hiking several times per week, plus I have a Springer bike attachment http://s513132788.initial-website.com and we go for bike rides, so I think his paws are getting reasonable conditioning.

What has been your experience with the Musher's Secret? Do your dogs mind you putting it their paws? How often do you apply it? When do you apply it?

saltysack
03-29-2015, 15:51
I apply daily while hiking and during summer when streets and sand are hot...I've also used for bluster ointment/lube between MY toes if I get a bluster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk