PDA

View Full Version : An amazing story from a thru-hiker...

Bearfoot's Book
11-05-2005, 22:17
Hey all! I am student that is hoping to share the wonderful experience my teacher Patrick Pittard (or, Bearfoot, as you may know him) had by leaving Georgia as a retired CEO and arriving in Maine as a thru-hiker. As he was hiking the 2,200 miles, he called his former secretary from any land lines he found and tried to put into words the physical and emotional challenges he endured and overcame along the way, as well as many of the friendships he made. With the help of a publisher, his story became a novel and I am hoping to share the lessons learned with other stressed out professionals that could truly enjoy life and value each day if they would walk away from the cement jungle and schedule an appointment with themselves to find the good in their hearts and lives by spending some time in nature.

I went on a two week hike in high school with Colorado Outward Bound and cannot tell you what an eye opening experience that was for me as a 17 year old. Thus, my wisdom that was gained during 14 short days does not hold a candle to the insight and understanding provided by Mr. Pittard from his journey, which is depicted in his book. Just so you know, I am not asking for money here for him or me. All of the proceeds from the sale of this book go toward the Institute for Leadership Advancement at UGA. So, I only have the best of intentions in asking for your help on ideas of how to reach the people who would benefit from reading this moving piece of literature. Our society is overpopulated with business people that are living in such a competitive, power hungry world. If someone could just open their eyes to the peaceful, joyous, fulfilling world that they can find on the Appalachian Trail, then these professionals would be overwhelmed with new meaning and joy in their everyday lives and add happiness to the lives of those around them.

If you have any idea of how I can get this message across to those whose soul could use a little nourishment, please respond to this new thread or send me a note at [email protected] ([email protected]) (there are underscores on each side of the a). Also, if you want to learn more about the book or you want to get it for someone you think could benefit from it, please check it out on the web site we (a few students have teamed up on this mission) put together at www.bearfootanorthbounder.com (http://www.bearfootanorthbounder.com). Thank you so much for all consideration and taking the time to read my note!

rickb
11-05-2005, 23:09
So what was the amazing part?

(I hope that doesn't come of as a snotty question. Its not meant to be. Its a sincere invitation asking you to share what your thoughts behind that observation)

Edit: Actually, I re-read your post and I think you already answered! I wasm't thinking my first pass thorough. :D

Lone Wolf
11-05-2005, 23:16
Running a 50 mile ultra marathon in under 9 hours will open your ***n eyes. It's tougher than any 6 month thru-hike.:)

rickb
11-05-2005, 23:18
It would probably close mine.

For good.

DaSchwartz
11-06-2005, 01:32
Another book written by a millionaire thru-hiker trying to make a buck off his hike. :rolleyes:

I much rather read the journals on www.trailjournals.com (http://www.trailjournals.com), it's totally free and you'll get all sorts of journals... Male, female, old, young, rich, poor etc.

I prefer to read the ones from people who barely can survive from town to town, they are the most interesting and you will learn more by people who can't simply throw money into every single problem they have along the trail. Most of us don't have private seceraties to call on the phone either.

BTW - Bryson's book, while I think a lot of it was total BS (like Katz being chased around Waynesboro) , did really do a good service talking about the history of the trail.

Mouse
11-06-2005, 09:17
Running a 50 mile ultra marathon in under 9 hours will open your ***n eyes. It's tougher than any 6 month thru-hike.:)

No kidding! :banana Mine were only 46 miles and I felt so wrecked the next morning! Though for wearing down the body I am not sure anything can touch a thruhike. There is time for major weight loss and deterioration if one is not careful.

dtimko
11-06-2005, 10:44
Another book written by a millionaire thru-hiker trying to make a buck off his hike. :rolleyes:

Just so you know, I am not asking for money here for him or me. All of the proceeds from the sale of this book go toward the Institute for Leadership Advancement at UGA.

May want to reread before posting statements like that.

hikerjohnd
11-06-2005, 10:49
May want to reread before posting statements like that.

because if it is written on the net, it has to be true...

Freighttrain
11-06-2005, 11:21
ok , i visited the webpage.... i have a suggestion....

make the pop-ups on the cover page readable to those who run higher resolutions than 800x600. I run at 1024x768, one step up, and the print is way too small to read.... had to get out the "fire-glass" to be able to read it

WOW, not every journal-book gets reviewed by a pulizer prize winning author!

the webpage claimed that this book is a "bestseller" in NE georgia... but gave no link or mention of where this info came from. where and what are the facts this information is this based on?

Freighttrain
11-06-2005, 11:32
i agree tho, what is so AMAZING? every year people from every walk of life hike the trail... from Ret Rear Admirals, poor people, Doctors, Lawyers, Soldiers returning from war...fat people, skinny people, tall ,short, light skin to dark skin, abled and disabled...... the list goes on n on

Jeff
11-06-2005, 11:47
I hiked with Bearfoot for about two weeks in 2002 and can tell you he is a 1st class individual. His perspective is unique compared to the other "thru-hiking" books out there and is well worth the read.

Ridge
11-06-2005, 12:34
I'm very suspicious of a WB member with the trail name "Barefoot's Book" and has only 1 post !!! Sounds like a campaign to sell books, I also found nothing about this book on the website for Leadership Advancement at UGA UGA.

rickb
11-06-2005, 12:57
Don't be suspicious.

The website makes it clear that Bearfoot was a very successful business person who later became involved with the University-- and that the promotion is art of a student run project.

I bet the book could be an interesting read, but I'd not go out of my way to buy it-- unless perhaps I got a taste of it first by way of an on-line journal or such.

The business person whose book I would run out and buy (if he ever wrote one) would be that of the CEO and founder of Whole Foods. He hiked the AT while running the multi-billion dollar company that he founded, and is huge on corporate responsibility-- some 5% of corporate profits go to charity (among other inititatives). I think he followed up with a hike of the Colorado Trail, recently. There was an interesting interchange between him and Milton Friedman that can be googled up if anyone is interested.

SKCM
11-06-2005, 14:00
I have read a few book about peoples trail experiences on the trail:

Walking on the Happy Side of Misery
A Walk in the Woods
On the Beaten Path
Walk for Sunshine
Me and the Boy
A Season on the Applalchain Trail
Walking the Appalachian Trail
A Time to Walk
An Eye on the Horizon

Each had a different perspective of the trail and different trail experiences. I will agree the theme was the same through each book... Hiking the AT and it's challenges... but what made each book unique was the person's perspective.

I have ordered Bearfoot's book and I hope to enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed the others. I will be sure to comeback and post my review of it.

BTW, My Favorites are A Walk in the Woods ( I know it is not all true, but it is so funny to read over and over again), Walking on the Happy Side of Misery ( Funny but factual and detailed) and On the Beaten Path ( Open, Honest about himself and his experience).

HikeLite
11-07-2005, 11:20
Amazing is doing it blind, not some rich guy. This is nothing more than a commercial post.

JoeHiker
11-07-2005, 13:15
because if it is written on the net, it has to be true...

Or perhaps because we don't generally assume people are bald-faced liars unless we have some reason to do so.

the goat
11-07-2005, 13:24
AMAZING! You mean to tell me that someone hiked from georgia, all the way to maine?!?!?!:eek:

rickb
11-07-2005, 14:28
Goat, I had the same initial reaction. Then I reread the first post again.

Perhaps the amazing part that is being referred to isn't about the walking, but rather about an inner transformation. About personal growth. I think that is hinted at by the person who started this thread. That can be amazing, I think.

Anyway, that's something I can only imagine. As a 23-year old, I missed all of that. Might be interesting to read about.

the goat
11-07-2005, 15:45
Goat, I had the same initial reaction. Then I reread the first post again.

Perhaps the amazing part that is being referred to isn't about the walking, but rather about an inner transformation. About personal growth. I think that is hinted at by the person who started this thread. That can be amazing, I think.

Anyway, that's something I can only imagine. As a 23-year old, I missed all of that. Might be interesting to read about.

yeah, i'm just bein' a smartass. rick, you can always go back & do 'er again! i think it would be pretty badass to see how things are different (or the same perhaps) 20+ years later. i went back 2 years later & not much was different, except for the people. you ever think a/b a repeat?

Ender
11-07-2005, 21:32
This post is clearly spam. It's an unsolicited post promoting the sale of a book. Could be a great book, written by a good guy. Doesn't matter. This is spam.

weary
11-07-2005, 21:48
This post is clearly spam. It's an unsolicited post promoting the sale of a book. Could be a great book, written by a good guy. Doesn't matter. This is spam.
Well, by your definition spam occurs fairly regularly on White Blaze. The Attroll and the good Sarge are perfectly capable of dealing with such things. In my opinion they have done a good job in the past. I suggest they continue to do so without our interference.

Ender
11-08-2005, 09:57
Well, by your definition spam occurs fairly regularly on White Blaze. The Attroll and the good Sarge are perfectly capable of dealing with such things. In my opinion they have done a good job in the past. I suggest they continue to do so without our interference.

Never said they weren't capable. Never said that anything should be done with this post. Just said this was spam. And pointing out the nature of something is far from "interference". Shouldn't read so deeply into what I write... I'm not that deep.;)

Mags
11-08-2005, 12:41
No kidding! :banana Mine were only 46 miles and I felt so wrecked the next morning! Though for wearing down the body I am not sure anything can touch a thruhike. There is time for major weight loss and deterioration if one is not careful.

In the short term, I think ultras are harder. In the long term, I think thru hikes are harder.

They really are two different events and athletic endeavors though. I could barely walk the day after I did Leadville. Within a week, was doing 20 mile day hike again.. But I am an admitted slow runner.

After a five month thru-hike, I was just drained...

"Six of one, half dozen on the other", YMMV, etc. etc.

DiamondDoug
11-08-2005, 14:05
It is funny how people look at things differently. Some read the first post and thought "spam." Others were like (with sarcasm) "whoopee, another book." My initial thoughts were, "yeah, hiking the trail in midlife will change you."

I know, I did, it did. I left Springer a month after my 43rd birthday with no clue as to what I was going to do with the rest of my life. That isn't so much different that the fresh out of college NOBOs, but those of us celebrating our midlife crisis while hiking bring a whole different perspective to the trail, IMHFO.

So when I read the book "ad" my first thought was "yeah, I could probably relate to a lot of what's in that book, but I sure don't need it because I lived my own version." HYOH, WYOB (write your own book).

Onward. Furthur!
-<>- Doug
GAME2k

Ridge
11-11-2005, 20:13
http://www.redandblack.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/11/10/4372c9f993cfa

Lilred
11-11-2005, 20:44
http://www.redandblack.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/11/10/4372c9f993cfa

So I guess the original post in this thread was just a bunch of BS to sell his professor's book. Pretty pathetic.

weary
11-11-2005, 21:09
So I guess the original post in this thread was just a bunch of BS to sell his professor's book. Pretty pathetic.
Let me suggest that someone just spemd a few bucks, and read the GD book and tell us whether it's any good or not.

All this speculation about why it's being promoted is nonsense. I suspect/can guarantee? that unless the kid's professor is a secret Bill Bryson,
the professor aint going to make much money.

Weary

SKCM
11-11-2005, 21:35
Weary, I bought the book and it was shipped 4 days ago. I will post my review of the book and let you know how it goes.

SKCM

Lilred
11-12-2005, 00:19
With the help of a publisher, his story became a novel and I am hoping to share the lessons learned with other stressed out professionals that could truly enjoy life and value each day if they would walk away from the cement jungle and schedule an appointment with themselves to find the good in their hearts and lives by spending some time in nature.

So, I only have the best of intentions in asking for your help on ideas of how to reach the people who would benefit from reading this moving piece of literature. Our society is overpopulated with business people that are living in such a competitive, power hungry world. If someone could just open their eyes to the peaceful, joyous, fulfilling world that they can find on the Appalachian Trail, then these professionals would be overwhelmed with new meaning and joy in their everyday lives and add happiness to the lives of those around them. [/FONT]

If you have any idea of how I can get this message across to those whose soul could use a little nourishment, please respond to this new thread or send me a note at [email protected] ([email protected]) (there are underscores on each side of the a). Also, if you want to learn more about the book or you want to get it for someone you think could benefit from it, please check it out on the web site we (a few students have teamed up on this mission) put together at www.bearfootanorthbounder.com (http://www.bearfootanorthbounder.com). Thank you so much for all consideration and taking the time to read my note!

This was the BS I was referring to......

justusryans
11-12-2005, 03:27
Does kinda sound like bs, doesn't it?

Husko
11-13-2005, 01:37
I just went to amazon.com and purchased : http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0898156270/qid=1131860219/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-4574795-2368851?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

SKCM
11-13-2005, 15:14
I just received the book.... and here is my thoughts.

The guy is a bit full of himself and doesn't mind telling you that he is. It is apparent throughout the book that he has a great deal of money and he shares that with you as well. The author has a note for purist ( of which I am not ) so if you're a purist, don't purchase this book... you will not get beyond his appology to purist! :eek:

The book is a collection of his emails and to be honest it is interesting but nothing really really exciting. I kept reading it waiting to get to the good part that everyone was singing his praises for on the dust jacket... I did not find it. :( This book falls way short of some of of the books that I enjoyed reading: A walk for sunshine, Walking on the Happy Side of Misery, On the Beaten Path, A Walk in the Woods, and A Season on the Appalachian Trail. I felt like I was there with the hikers in those books, this book I felt as though I was not part of the hike at all. The good points are there is a fold out map where you can chart his progress throughout the book and there are some nice color photos at the end of the book.

Nothing is really spectacular about this book and it is sort of dry.... but it is another perspective of hiking the trial.... Although he surely went through some of the physical challenges, as well as some of the mental challenges, and he did it without any financial problems or challenges and spared no expense on this trip... he is a thru hiker and I will grant him that....

In short, wait for it to come to your public library or wait for it to show up on half.com. Trust me on this one!

SKCM

SKCM
11-13-2005, 20:07
One more good thing about this book, supposidily the proceeds from this book go to University. :clap

Rain Man
11-14-2005, 16:01
Let me suggest that someone just spemd a few bucks, and read the GD book and tell us whether it's any good or not.

Well, I didn't do all that, but I did visit the web site and that alone was enough to discourage me. The site touts all the distinguished scholars who worked on it at the University, yet there's a glaring spelling error of an important word on the home page.

That's number one. Nuber two is that the site is hugely over-bloated, takes forever to download, and then you get very little substance for your wait. The thing's mostly glitz. I figure some students had learned some new webmastering tricks and wanted to show off.

Number three, in spite of all the time it took to download the blankety-blank site, and all the alleged scholarship that stands behine it, there's no way to contact anyone there to tell them kindly of the home page spelling error. That's either an incredibly naive, stupid oversight, or they are hiding from the public.

So, if the book is like the web site, you can forget my patronage.

Rain Man

bulldog49
11-14-2005, 16:40
....... The site touts all the distinguished scholars who worked on it at the University, yet there's a glaring spelling error of an important word on the home page.

That's number one. Nuber two is that the site is hugely over-bloated, takes forever to download, and then you get very little substance for your wait. The thing's mostly glitz. I figure some students had learned some new webmastering tricks and wanted to show off.

Number three, in spite of all the time it took to download the blankety-blank site, and all the alleged scholarship that stands behine it, there's no way to contact anyone there to tell them kindly of the home page spelling error. That's either an incredibly naive, stupid oversight, or they are hiding from the public.

Rain Man

What's that saying about folks who live in glass houses. :p

bulldog49
11-14-2005, 16:41
....... The site touts all the distinguished scholars who worked on it at the University, yet there's a glaring spelling error of an important word on the home page.

Rain Man

What's that saying about folks who live in glass houses? :p

totempole99
11-26-2005, 00:15
Received the book yesterday as a gift, and through the first fifty pages, the amazing story I was expecting after reading the original post on this thread hasn't presented itself yet. Perhaps it will later, but so far, the only 'amazing' thing to me is how non intelligent this professor at UGA is (and I'm from Georgia, I like the Dawgs, and they are a good school, just him.....). He writes about how he used his stove upside down until told the correct way by another hiker and slept in his bag inside out for 400 miles. It isn't a bad story at all, just hasn't been the 'amazing', life changing story I'd thought it would be from reading this thread; although I will reserve my final judgement until I've read the whole thing.

Bjorkin
11-26-2005, 14:10
The only amazing thing to me is that people actually bought a book from a blatant commercial post. Then again, not much should surprise me these days in regards to marketing.

Nightwalker
11-26-2005, 14:21
The business person whose book I would run out and buy (if he ever wrote one) would be that of the CEO and founder of Whole Foods. He hiked the AT while running the multi-billion dollar company that he founded...
Betcha he used a cell-phone. Lol, that was a joke. Of course he did. And a hand-held computer of some sort and other electronics.

Modern life doesn't have to detract from the trail. However, the bozo that was busily making real-estate deals at Tray Mountain shelter--while the rest of us were watching the sunset--needed to have that sucker implanted...

:D

Nightwalker
11-26-2005, 14:29
So, people can't express their opinion about it?

BTW, it didn't bother me, that book-sale post. I'm not into caring about most such things one way or another. I just think that people have a right to say "Hey! I don't like that! Doesn't belong here!" just so they skip the attacking re-WD that sickeningly goes on. Maybe that's what has you sensitive about the subject? I just thought you might think about things differently. Maybe not.

(I love you, you old grizzly!)

Nightwalker
11-26-2005, 14:31
In the short term, I think ultras are harder. In the long term, I think thru hikes are harder.

They really are two different events and athletic endeavors though. I could barely walk the day after I did Leadville. Within a week, was doing 20 mile day hike again.. But I am an admitted slow runner.

After a five month thru-hike, I was just drained...

"Six of one, half dozen on the other", YMMV, etc. etc.
Wulfie did a 35-mile day in the middle of a through. That's hard in the middle of hard. It was for a good cause, of course. Making a flyboy eat his words and stuff.

Nightwalker
11-26-2005, 14:34
What's that saying about folks who live in glass houses? :p
That they shouldn't double-post?

:P