PDA

View Full Version : what size pot?

squeezebox
03-25-2015, 22:07
I was going to ask how much pot are you bringing? Then realized that's a much different issue.
I just bought a 1.3L pot from Amazon. Compared to the 0.5 and 0.7 pots I have this thing is huge, well it's almost twice the size. I do like the idea of 2 small pots, nest well, being able to cook pasta and sauce separately, oatmeal and hot chocolate etc. The wts. aren't much different.
Your experience/ opinion?

BirdBrain
03-25-2015, 22:28
I have 2 opinions. Your cook system is going to be too heavy and I want to hike with you so I can Yogi. I boils 2 cups if water in a Kmart ( not Walmart ) grease pot. Pour 1 cup in a freezer bag and the other in my coffee cup.

DLP
03-25-2015, 22:43
I have always just carried one pot and I eat and drink from that one pot.

I think like everything else... you will do what works for you.

I threw tent poles into a dumpster, one time, saying to myself, "I'm not carrying these #@%$ things one more mile!". Thus, I can't imagine carrying two pots. :) But you may find them to be your favorite two pieces of equiptment and carry them every place you go. Or you may say, "OMG... not carrying these stupid things any more!" and mail one home or put it in a hiker box or a dumpster.

Let us know how it goes. :)

Christoph
03-25-2015, 22:48
I'm using the aluminum center pot, lid, and plastic cup from a Walmart mess kit (the rest is staying home) and a plastic bowl for cold stuff. I've had really good luck so far with them. It won't cook a huge meal or anything, but it does the job.

fiddlehead
03-25-2015, 22:59
1.3 litre always worked for me.
I find once halfway into a thru, I find that I need to fill it up with food to feel satisfied.
One pot is all I ever needed. Of course I do take a styrofoam cup as I like to drink some tea while waiting for my dinner to cook.
but THAT is a luxury item that ways slightly more than nothing.

Hangfire
03-26-2015, 01:59
I was really torn on this one before I left, I ended up going with a 900ml snow creek which worked absolutely perfect for me, even fit a large fuel canister inside as if it was designed that way.

brancher
03-26-2015, 07:08
I use a 1L anodized aluminum pot. I have two - a Coleman with a fitted pan/lid, and an Olicamp XTS. I've used .7 and a .8, but like my 1L better. But I cook and do not eat out of a bag. If I did, I may use a smaller pot. For my dinners, I need to soak my food for 5-10 minutes, so the lid/pan on the Coleman is valuable for soaking while I heat beverage water. On the XTS, I use a cut-in-half cottage cheese container for soaking.

Turk6177
03-26-2015, 09:16
I have always used a GSI Soloist which holds my whole cook system, but honestly found that I was generally only using half of it. I just switched to a Ti-Mini Solo from Snow Peak. http://snowpeak.com/collections/cookware/products/ti-mini-solo-combo-scs-004t?variant=671149285 This also comes with a little 10oz. drinking cup. With this adjustment, I had to buy a different alcohol stove from Zelph to get a more narrow clover than the one I get from my cat can stove. http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/fancee-feest.php. I could have just used my MSR pocket rocket with a canister and it would work fine. It just depends on the kind of stove you use. I believe Evernew titanium pots have a wider bottom, so you could also look at those if you are already in love with whatever stove you have. Happy Hiking.

swjohnsey
03-26-2015, 10:42
I use a 1.3l titanium pot. I carry my stove and other cooking gear in it. You can put .5l in a 1.3 pot but you can put 1.0l in a .9l pot.

squeezebox
03-26-2015, 11:30
The 1.3 it is. Luckily the diameter is the same so all I have to do is make the cozy taller. I'll either bring the 0.5 pot or my mug but not both. They weigh the same. The cannister fits inside well.

Starchild
03-26-2015, 11:46
I'm using the aluminum center pot, lid, and plastic cup from a Walmart mess kit (the rest is staying home) and a plastic bowl for cold stuff. I've had really good luck so far with them. It won't cook a huge meal or anything, but it does the job.

You may find this too small once hiker hunger sets in, also the handle I found a bit awkward. Fine for a morning cup of joe however.

fastfoxengineering
03-26-2015, 14:40
check out my thread.. "who really cooks in a 900ml pot?" under the cooking subforum

Just Tom
03-26-2015, 16:34
By the way, which 1.3L pot did you get?

squeezebox
03-26-2015, 16:39
I got a Toaks. with lid

matjbrown
03-27-2015, 15:55
I have always used a GSI Soloist which holds my whole cook system, but honestly found that I was generally only using half of it. I just switched to a Ti-Mini Solo from Snow Peak. http://snowpeak.com/collections/cookware/products/ti-mini-solo-combo-scs-004t?variant=671149285 This also comes with a little 10oz. drinking cup. With this adjustment, I had to buy a different alcohol stove from Zelph to get a more narrow clover than the one I get from my cat can stove. http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/fancee-feest.php. I could have just used my MSR pocket rocket with a canister and it would work fine. It just depends on the kind of stove you use. I believe Evernew titanium pots have a wider bottom, so you could also look at those if you are already in love with whatever stove you have. Happy Hiking.

I use the min solo and fancee feast as well! Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelCut
03-27-2015, 16:04
Snow Peak Mini Soloist 500ml. But I'm considering going stove-less on my thru and leaving the pot and stove at home.

Me thinks you are putting too much emphasis on cooking based on the number of your posts on these topics. Too complicated, too much gear, and results in too much time in camp cooking your meals. Just my $0.02.